iPad2...

Runnriottt

I waited on buying an iPad. Now there releasing the things that people complained about on the first iPad for the second one.

Should I jump on the wagon now? I mean... It was only a year ago that the thing was released in the first place and now we have a replacement. I am getting tired of tech that is obsolete in a year and the pricing never goes down. I was just at the exchange today and iPad 1 is still... 500 bucks.

So...

What say you all?

You'll always pay more for Apple especially on new items, and their resale value drops like a rock. If you see it as something that is worth $500 for a year of use before you toss it in the dust-bin, then I guess they're OK.

I guess it comes down to what feature is so compelling you will pay a premium for it?

With the iPad2 out, it's only a matter of time before the fire sales begin on the iPad1. Unless the v2 has some must-have new features, I'd wait a while longer for the price to drop, then pick up a v1.

Looking at it the chip is better, the lip is gone from the screen and the software package is better. Built in camera, cover and better interface with peripherals...

Does Apple do fire sales? I thought they just sent everything back to the factory?

My wife loves hers. If you like having a personal organizer, reading, surfing the internet, watching movies, answering emails, then the ipad is a good unit. Wanna save something or install external software ( you can download apps) forget it. I had a tough time trying to print wirelessly from it and ended up emailing myself the document to my desktop. My wife uses it mostly to read. She is a full on convert from paperback and has no plans on going back. I may even renew my mag subscriptions to digital. its like a huge ipod touch. She has the ipad 1. So I have no idea how good the ipad 2 is. We picked ours up used on craigslist with an applecare warranty still good to september. We paid $460.00 for the 16 gig wifi. (too much). I found another a week later for $300.00 :( oh well.

Edited by TK-4510

I ordered mine two weeks ago. I can't wait to get it. I finally have embraced the revolution of "e-readers". As a musician I'm looking forward to playing around with the app Garageband.

My better half Becky has one for her uni work

It's designed to 'consume' data rather than give you the ability to 'create'

However, install pages etc on there and you can make documents etc

Then with Dropbox or mobile me, those documents can be at home on your server before you get home :)

That's cool

Apple do drip feed their technology and I got sting with my iMac

After 2 weeks they released a bigger screen with an SD card slot and extra USB ports

I complained and got a refund to enable me to buy the new one :)

I don't like the way apple deliberately hold back on tech in order for you buy the second edition :) bit I do like their products.

Apple tv, iPad, iMac, iPhone, touch, iPod. They've done ok out of me :)

Macrumors.com has a 'warning' window for the next possible edition releases of products

Apple are quite predictable in terms of when something will be superseded and that website tells you when it's a good time to buy etc

Apple have made tech fashionable, not essential :)

you know what, it is said that acctually apple already have the model of ipad 5, they just wanna make more money so they put the beta version (ipad1, ipad2... )in market one by one instead of put the best one in market immediately. maybe it's not truth, but i kind of believe this.

I certainly believe it dude

I have a degree in electronic design and this kind of thing is essential for a company to remain profitable and have a sales revenue.

We were actually taught this methodology as a module!

Diffusion of innovations

NPD

PLCM

Look them up then feel sickened :)

When the iPad 2 starts to dip, BANG, iPad3 will be upon us :)

I have an iPad first gen and don't see a reason to upgrade. I don't need the camera and it's fast enough as is. Now when the 3rd gen drops which will be may or June next year I will probably get 1. I have had the same MacBook pro fir 3 going in 4 years and it too has met and gone above expectations . I just wish the iPad supported flash. Oh and I have an iphone4 which I probaly won't upgrade this year either.

OK. Let me weigh in here.

Before we begin, for the record, I'm not an Apple fanboy.

I've been in the computer field since 1980 (yup, that long). I've been into tablets since 1994 (Since my first Newton Messagepad). When Jobs killed off the Newton, I went to Windows CE and other tablets. I've owned some 20 tablets over the years. I currently still have Samsung, Fujitsu, and Motion Computing tablets (running different versions of Windows - tablet versions). I also bought the iPad last year. Of all the tablet devices I have mentioned, the Newton (especially the 2100 - last model) is by far the most useful. However, very close behind is the iPad which I use daily.

As mentioned in a previous post this device is really meant to consume data (excellent point John) and it excels at data consumption. I rarely use my other tablets (unless for a special purpose) because the iPad is so darn easy and FAST!!! at what it does. Sure, some people may argue it's functionality is superficial (sort of a lite version of a real OS). Who cares? Most of the basic things people do with computers is lite work (think emails, web surfing, quick game playing, quick letter / note here and there). If you need to work on elaborate documents (spreadsheets, docs with tables, fancy presentations, etc...) then you use a laptop or desktop. If I want to play a serious game I get on my game rig with 4GB of RAM just on my video card. That happens once (maybe twice a week, if I'm lucky) otherwise a quick game of Plants Vs Zombies, iScopa (card game), or Star Wars Trench Run is more than sufficient (and satisfying).

I've come to realize that waiting for technology is like waiting for a train. Sure you can wait for the next train, which may be faster and more comfortable. However, if you never board a train, any train, you'll never get to where you want to go.

Do yourself the favor, buy the iPad, board the train and enjoy the ride. I just bought my ticket (iPad2) which is destined to arrive on the 22nd of April. Yay!!!

Cheers!

I bought an iPad 2 when they first came out. I have to say this iPad is pretty awesome. I used it as my work computer for a couple of days. It does not do everything a normal laptop would do but I am still learning. It does do more than my work laptop does right now because I don't have admin access to it anymore. That is very fustrating. Heck I can even print from home right now from my work laptop. I can from my iPad though. My parents spoke to me and the grand kids tonight using face time it was way cool... Now they just need to come out with some cool Star wars games for it. Can you imagine having SW rebellion or SW battlegrounds on it? Or maybe the dark forces series?

-sent from my iPad

I bought an iPad 2 when they first came out. I have to say this iPad is pretty awesome. I used it as my work computer for a couple of days. It does not do everything a normal laptop would do but I am still learning. It does do more than my work laptop does right now because I don't have admin access to it anymore. That is very fustrating. Heck I can even print from home right now from my work laptop. I can from my iPad though. My parents spoke to me and the grand kids tonight using face time it was way cool... Now they just need to come out with some cool Star wars games for it. Can you imagine having SW rebellion or SW battlegrounds on it? Or maybe the dark forces series?

-sent from my iPad

Trench Run is pretty cool. I like flying the Tie fighters (ok, ok and the X-wing in the trench).