TE2 vs AP Armor - Any clear winner?

This may have been discussed before but I could not find a thread. Anyway, I'm in the market for a TE2 or the AP armor. I have the AA/SDS set but have not been thrilled with the press it had/has been getting. What are the pros and cons of each? Also could someone PM or email me a TE2 armor contact. Thanks.

Michael

In the interest of keeping this civil and sane, as well as avoiding having to moderate this to death...

KEEP IT CLEAN AND APPROPRIATE.

No flaming and no inappropriate posts. If you have an opinion, post it. Don't get into the name calling here, for it will be removed immediately.

Now, the civil and humble discussions may begin (but we are watching you!!!) B) <_< :D

:trooper:

Here is the difference between the two. The TE is a hair more accurate, and has to be painted. The AP comes in ABS so there is no need to paint it, and ABS glues better.

Both are excellent kits, and your really splitting hairs between the two.

Here is the difference between the two. The TE is a hair more accurate, and has to be painted. The AP comes in ABS so there is no need to paint it, and ABS glues better.

Both are excellent kits, and your really splitting hairs between the two.

I have heard mention that the forearms and part of the calf's are duplicates on the AP armor. Does anyone know if it has been corrected? Does the TE2 have the same issue? Thanks again.

Michael

I have heard mention that the forearms and part of the calf's are duplicates on the AP armor. Does anyone know if it has been corrected? Does the TE2 have the same issue? Thanks again.

Michael

The AP has the outer right calf for the inner left. The right forearm is also double for the AP. The TE2 is the only suit that has the correct pieces for the suits. No other suits out there have these. NONE... So the TE2 is the clear correct choice to go with in my opinion.

Also the TE2 has first gen helmet parts while the AP is second gen helmet parts.

TE

Michael

I can confirm this as being true for my sept 07 acquired AP suit.

And last time I talked to AP, it wasn't going to change either

I can confirm this as being true for my sept 07 acquired AP suit.

And last time I talked to AP, it wasn't going to change either

Unless he acquires a real suit he wont be changing things. GF wanted to get the missing parts from me but he and I never agreed on the finite details.

TE

ok, I am need contacts for TE2 and AP, a family member wanted to join, and she would never fit into a FX or anything of that size.

PLEASE PM me with any info. and dont be shy, doesnt matter if someone beats ya to it, I would rather have duplicates than none.. lol

Boozel

I don't see one as being "better" than the other. It depends on what you want. Here is how I normally see the breakdown:

TE2: I want the closest I can get to screen used armor, period.

AP: I want the closest I can get to screen used armor, but I want it in ABS.

TM: I want the most faithful fan sculpt armor, period.

RT: I want the most faithful fan sculpt armor, but I'm on a budget (darn exchange rates).

FX: I want the cheapest armor possible that's will allow me to get in the 501st OR I'm over 6'2".

Realizing that fan sculpts are designed to be easy to put together, with overlapping seams, symmetrical parts, etc. Having lineage to screen used means that parts are not asymmetrical and more complicated to put together.

Having lineage to screen used means that parts are not asymmetrical and more complicated to put together.

and to add to Daetrin's remarks...

don't forget that the more screen accurate armor isn't "one size fits all" :unsure:

Those parts that Matt speaks of are from a recast tour suit and are not film accurate.

On the film costumes, it was a free for all in regards to the shin pieces.

Also, it is untrue that the helmet molds are 1st gen castings.

<flames removed by moderator>

Those parts that Matt speaks of are from a recast tour suit and are not film accurate.

The lore I've seen is that this is correct - it was originally an ROTJ tour suit that was reverse engineered into ANH as much as was possible at the time (guys - correct me if my sleep deprivation is hurting my memory).

That said, I've not hear any claims of any other armor being closer in lineage to real suits.

Quit deleting and editing my posts.

I'm sorry that you've not heard any other claims. Maybe you are listening to the wrong people.

It is appearing that we have a biased admin in these situations as I've had my informative posts either deleted or edited multiple times.

The TE2 suit is a recast of the GF suit that was altered and supplemented with the inaccurate tour suit pieces.

Talk to GF if you think I'm not being truthful.

AND STOP ABUSING YOUR ADMIN PRIVILAGES WITH YOUR BIAS

Its not fair to the rest of the people for them to not get to hear the truth.

GINO,

As the staff has said it before, keep the posts clean and don't get nasty with fellow members. Otherwise your posts will be edited and will be deleted. Period.

Final warning.

The only thing I removed was a flame. The rest of your post is unmolested. Notice I did not edit or remove your latest post. Information is fine. Making personal attacks is not.

And I don't claim to be the font of all knowledge - certainly others on this board are far more knowledgeable than I am. Which is why I asked for corrections to my info on my gaps.

And I don't think I'm that biased. Do I sport TE2 armor? Sure, as I like the look and the guy making it. Does that mean I don't like your helmets too? I know for sure I've complimented your work more than once over on MEPD.

I'm not sure why I - and others - have to be forced into choosing one over the other. You guys both make some really nice lids. Each is different, and beautiful, in their own way.

And FWIW Gino - you're equally free to post For Sale threads here as you are on other boards. Perhaps allowing people to see for themselves may help? I held one of your items back at the Rose Parade and it was sweet.

Personally I like the fact that there are differences between the various makers, as not everyone wants the same thing. Variety being the spice of life, no? :)

FWIW, here is the "history" link that I should have used. All sources are referenced.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Just to throw my $.02 in here (and I may owe people some change), I already asked on post #2 of this to keep it clean and appropriate. I really have no personal knowledge of any of this, and however much anyone wants to get nasty, it is really a distraction from the thread topic.

If anyone wants to share info, as has been done in this thread regrading the differences between the two sets of armor, please post it. As a fairly new TK (less than a year), the education that can be gleaned reading all the threads and discussions can be very helpful in deciding which armor to look for and purchase. That is the purpose of this thread.

Since it is probably impossible to expect anyone to know everything, we need to rely on facts and statements that can be backed up or verified. Again I realize all I can claim is that I saw the films a zillion times (exaggeration intentional) and love the way the TK's look. Can I tell a difference between TE2 and AP armor from a distance? NO, thus my interest in the thread.

The posts that have been removed and the edit done are warranted, if for no other reason than they are NOT part of the discussion and do not add to the discussion.

This goes for all who post, not just one person.

Keep it clean; keep it constructive; keep it educational = keep your posts unedited.

As you were.

:trooper:

I find it funny that each time we talk about the differences in armor, it gets .. hum .. edited! :)

Anyway, I'd really like to know if there's anywhere we can see a side by side comparison of the Gino VS TE VS AP?

Also, I think it's really, really cool that we end up here with GINO and TE on the boards providing us there information.

I kinda wonder if in 10 years from now, future TK will say: "Imagine, 10 years ago, you could actually get these guys to exchange the information live in the forum .. ah, that was the time" :))

Just thought I'd share ..

Cheers

I don't see one as being "better" than the other. It depends on what you want. Here is how I normally see the breakdown:

TE2: I want the closest I can get to screen used armor, period.

AP: I want the closest I can get to screen used armor, but I want it in ABS.

TM: I want the most faithful fan sculpt armor, period.

RT: I want the most faithful fan sculpt armor, but I'm on a budget (darn exchange rates).

FX: I want the cheapest armor possible that's will allow me to get in the 501st OR I'm over 6'2".

Realizing that fan sculpts are designed to be easy to put together, with overlapping seams, symmetrical parts, etc. Having lineage to screen used means that parts are not asymmetrical and more complicated to put together.

hm

i´m not happy that this is posted here from the official staff

some experts have different opinons

some fan sculpted parts seems to be much closer to the original (just my opinion)

and some original recasts from film used armor differs from the originals in case of some reworks and maybe repairing

all should know the differences between the armor maker

so the real story and the complete history is not 100% clear

I totally agree for the reasons you cite. Which is why I deleted the pinned post, and put this reply here.

personally i would go TM, it's robust, it has a very authentic movie accurate look about it considering it's an original sculpt and having seen it in action up close and personal it looks to be slightly larger than lineage suits (only a smidge mind you)

both AP and TE2 should be applauded for their presence of mind to stay well clear of these slanging matches. to be honest both kits are awesome, AP being ABS may well be slightly more geared towards a heavy trooping schedule but adversly i havent heard anyone complaining about TE2 cracking from a trooping marathon. I think both these guys have earnt the respect of a lot of people in this community for their silence as much as anything else (T-Guns i'm sure has every right to be a little miffed about buying molds only to find he's in direct competition later on with the seller of said molds and yet we havent heard a peep). AP has been accused i'm sure on many occasions in the past of various things and yet he's kept schtum and let it go over his head.

it saddens me that new members have to witness how infantile Gino and TE have to be about this. i for one find it a little embarassing, two grown men exposing their insecurities on a forum for all to read.

i've been a member of many costuming forums for many years now on and off and it never ceases to amaze me how this can still be going on. both Gino and TE should be admired for their work but alas i fear they are both now subject to ridicule.

and so i wonder how long it will be before certain members are once again banned from yet another forum?

just for sh*ts and giggles, Mr movie/fx reckons everyone has recast parts of his actual ANH movie suit. go figure.

mods: feel free to edit or remove this post as you see fit as i'm sure you'll agree it wont change anything ;)

In fact, anyone who wants to contact me directly to get the entire scoop is invited. Just say the word.

The TE2 suit is not a GF recast.. sorry nice try ... The lower leg pieces are identical that we used from the tour suit... The parts are identical to the ANH suits I spent a few weeks with...

I had no need to copy anything GF altered.. Had my own molds thanks.. gino thinks that we only made one set of molds.. I always make two sets in case. But nice try.

TE

My advice......

1) WHATEVER you do - you MUST go ABS if you're going to troop in it. Of the armour that I've seen I've always been impressed by GF/AP and had a set that I hammered for years without any real wear-and-tear showing. Ive recently seen TM's and again its really well built.

2) Buy from someone you KNOW will deliver in a timely manner. I've heard just too many stories from certain people who take months and months and months to deliver the full suit. Excuses like "I'm ill, I need to take time out, my dog ate my moulds" just dont cut it for me. The pain of waiting an age for stuff to arrive (and then potentially replacement parts) is just not worth it. If an armour maker has a reputation for delivering slow - AVOID.

Just my 2c

Cheers

Jez