Armor Question for "large" Trooper

Hi everybody.

After reading trough the "Getting Started" Section I came up to the question what armor to pick for bigger troopers like me? I will go for the ANH Trooper.

Im at 233lbs and not quite sure which armor is more suitable for me? I would have prefered Troopermaster but after things I red Im

quite sure it isnt the right thing size concerning. So what would you experienced Troopers say to this?

Regards Lars

Any armor can be made to fit any physique with enough work, but some kits definitely lend themselves to certain body types. For the larger trooper, AM and RT Mod are considered to be the safest choices. There's a thread around here that actually does a decent job doing a side-by-side comparison of the two.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Okay, that sounds like some options ^^. Im 182cm, so round about 5' 11½" if i transfered right. Yeah, due to the fact that Im new to the Stormtrooper Section I will go for a safer way of assembling so an armor which is more likly for th ebigger guys, even if is must say that the TM Armor just looks great!

Regards Lars

Guest jedislayer5000

AM if your not looking to spend alot of money, if you have alot to spend them RT-MOD, theyre both the biggest, both fan sculpts so you shouldnt have to add any shims like you definitley would on a screen accurate suit

On 12/21/2010 at 6:02 AM, Daetrin said:

I'd also suggest RT as he's excellent for guys with big builds.

This is my EIB Submission pics w/ RT-Mod. I'm 6'00 250.... you'll be fine. :D Plus, Rob is awesome to work with! He will take your measurements & manipulate his molds to closely match you as possible.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I know AM is not the most screen accurate, but my friend here has it, and he sure looks nice and shiny compared to the other guys. Really stands out in the crowd :) For the price, it'd work on you, and look great while doing it.

Difficult, Difficult...So what about that screen acuracy for the RT Mod and the AM Armor? Im planning to get the Stormtrooper as my second approved 501st costume so it will definitly need be screen acurate^^. Im planning a ANH Stunt Stormtrooper just for info. Thanks for the pix Evolver79, that helps to get a good feeling for what it may look on me.

Regards Lars

Edited by Darth-LaRs

Neither is perfect. RT for instance the left ab buttons are a little high. Then, AM's chest is still the least accurate in appearance. Some use an AM kit with an RT chest/back.

AM out of the box is expert ready if you build it right, just needs a better helmet :) It'll certainly get you approved.

My friend is 6' and 200, so a bit different size, but there is room to trim.

Like Daetrin said, some do not like the AM chest as much, and he does have a plan to swap it out with RT MOD pieces soon.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Neither is perfect. RT for instance the left ab buttons are a little high. Then, AM's chest is still the least accurate in appearance. Some use an AM kit with an RT chest/back.

An what about getting those pieces in particular? Is it difficult to get them as single pieces to exchange in this case chest/back plates? So accuracy like they are both not the real deal i guess? RT and AM are good soultions for bigger troopers i´ve learned now, but what about exchanging parts which are not that accurate with armor parts from ,for example,TM? Will it look bad because of the size difference?

Regards Lars

I'm 6'1", 215 lbs. My suit is mostly AM, but with an RT Mod chest/back, and TM helmet & handplates. Dead-on screen accurate, no, but easily 501st and EIB-clearable.

Me on the right:

5220478129_4f8ebeb718_z.jpg

Me on the left:

5221046666_8190cc8d82_z.jpg

RT Mod sells just about any part you need, all you have to do is contact him. TM sells handplates and occasionally sells finished helmets, but I don't know about the other parts. Last I knew, individual AM parts are not available unless someone is parting out a suit (like I did a couple of months ago) - it's either the entire kit or nothing.

As far as size difference goes, it's as much about how the part is fitted to you as it is about the part itself. How you carry your weight matters in how your suit will be fitted to you and how you will look when all is said and done. I have broad shoulders, thick legs, and a small waist. Someone else with my same height/weight may carry their weight differently.

If you're looking for extreme screen-accuracy, TM's 1mm flexible ABS kit can't be beat. It also IMO looks best on guys that are close in size to the actors who played stormtroopers back in the mid-70s. keep in mind that these actors were in the neighborhood of 5'10", 160lbs, and slightly-built. At nearly 6 feet and 233 lbs, there is going to be a limit to how "screen accurate" you're going to look in any kit.

Yeah thats exactly the thing. I saw the TM and thought "yes that looks sweet" but not on my proportions ^^ after I was told it is close to the original size actors. I think I will stick to the RT-Mod. I will see how it looks and what I decide to exchange to get more screen acuracy. Main Goal firt of all is to get approved to the 501st with it, after that upgrading the details for more accuracy will still be possible. Big Thanks for your opinions on that.

Regards Lars

Yeah thats exactly the thing. I saw the TM and thought "yes that looks sweet" but not on my proportions ^^ after I was told it is close to the original size actors. I think I will stick to the RT-Mod. I will see how it looks and what I decide to exchange to get more screen acuracy. Main Goal firt of all is to get approved to the 501st with it, after that upgrading the details for more accuracy will still be possible. Big Thanks for your opinions on that.

Regards Lars

One of the best parts if RT-Mod is the manufacturer. You couldn't ask for an easier or better person to deal with. To me,the most important thing was the proportions. Due to my size I didn't want to look like I was "squeezed" into the suit.

Exactly, I also dont want to look like a squeezy Sausage^^

I plan on getting my hubby an RT-MOD, too. He's 6'3" 220 lbs.

When I emailed RT-Mod, he was so nice and helpful!