TK tips and tricks needed!

Debater2nd

I'm not sure how many of you read the postings over at the main 501st board, but I saw a thread that gave me a couple of ideas, and decided that I should get the entire FISD to help me do something similar to what I saw done over there.

I am in the process of getting together a "Welcome Packet" for new FISD members, and as part of that, I'd like to include a small "handbook" of tips, tricks, advice, and general wisdom about buying, building, and trooping in TK armor. I want this guide to have general things that would help someone who doesn't have any idea what they're doing have a knowledge base, so think about what questions you had before your first build and/or troop, and post up your tips and tricks that would help with those types of questions.

Thanks for the help with this, troopers!

Good idea!

5 years ago i bought an FX kit on e-Bay and 2 years ago a Rubies Helmet on e-Bay. You gotta love e-Bay.

I wasn't that serious about trooping back then but i wish someone right away would have told me '' FX and Rubies ARE NOT ACCURATE'' then i would have made my homework. I would suggest that the first thing should be that.

The good thing about that is i might do a funny Youtube video were i get hit by a car in the street with the FX and Rubies on or i put it on a mannequin and throw it down from building. I wouldn't care if it breaks. :lol:

Great idea

In the UKG we have an armourer team that does just this :)

Although we don't have a set booklet we give them it's more of our own wisdom. Some of this is saved and copied/pasted in order to save time

If you need any advice on pimping a lid, fans and helmet speakers and switches, let me know

John :)

Hey Daniel, there was a down loadable compendium compiled a few years ago. I did a quick search and the link is missing, but I'm sure I have it downloaded on a different computer. I'm betting a lot is out of date, but not a bad place to start, I'll see if I can find it. Or, just point people to the Tips and How-to's section of the main page. If you want something in print, perhaps you could ask those authors (is that necessary?) if you may use their writings. Personally, I'd love to see the tutorials finished so that may be sued.used.

edit: so, now you know what I'm writing today at work...lol.

Edited by vicsouders

Hey Daniel, there was a down loadable compendium compiled a few years ago. I did a quick search and the link is missing, but I'm sure I have it downloaded on a different computer. I'm betting a lot is out of date, but not a bad place to start, I'll see if I can find it. Or, just point people to the Tips and How-to's section of the main page. If you want something in print, perhaps you could ask those authors (is that necessary?) if you may use their writings. Personally, I'd love to see the tutorials finished so that may be sued.

This is a great idea, but what I'm looking for is a bit different. I'll give a few examples:

- Make sure to use the bathroom before armoring up!

- Always carry duck tape with you...you never know when you'll need a quick patch on something.

- When trimming your armor, trim a little bit, then check the size and fit. You can always trim more...you can't replace what's gone!

- Always try to have a handler watching your back...kids love grabbing the thermal detonator/O2 case!

- always hydrate before, during and after trooping (having a helmet on tends to make you forget about drinking water)

- make a small pouch or case you can carry for keys, cash, etc (I've made a simple pouch that velcros inside the AB armor to carry my wallet)

- wear your undersuit under your street clothes to a troop (saves you a few minutes from having to get changed)

- bring a towel to wipe off condensation / sweat inside your lid if necessary

- bring an extra pair of cheap black gloves (someone always forgets to bring their gloves!)

- put insoles inside our boots for comfort (arch support and heel comfort from standing)

- when walking with other troopers: walk in pairs side by side or in a row / 2 rows (looks cool, like in the films)

- have your garrison / squad / outpost PR flyer on hand to give to people interested in joining / how to get more info

Make a "trooper repair kit" with the following items:

- always bring extra white and black industrial velcro to a troop

- bring zip ties in case of emergencies

- white gaffer tape (they used it in the films!) to make repairs

- have extra batteries for your electronics

- scissors

- exacto knife

- sandpaper

- door insulation foam (black foam strips) for padding areas inside armor to prevent "armor bites"

I know that you guys have plenty of TK-building and trooping knowledge that you can share! Post anything that you think either a new member would need to know, or that would be a good reminder for the veteran trooper. I don't know about you folks, but I've forgotten things when I've gone to a troop, so this will be good for us all.

Not posting this up to start a fight or debate but....

1/Try to keep your lid on and stay in character as much as possible.

The public do notice, and why be just a guy wearing a set of stormtrooper armour when you can be a stormtrooper.

2/Have fun. ( whilst observing point 1 ). :DB)

I thought of a small emergency medical kit, such as band aids, some type of antiseptic, and headache/pain relief tablets.

You will need the headache tablets if you are wearing the bubble lenses. Ha, Ha....

When trooping (having your armor on) your vision will be obstructed when wearing your helmet. Make sure to look forward several feet (possibly 10 feet) in front of you to make sure you don’t step off of something or trip over something . But if you do make a mis-step and fall, please refer to the small medical emergency kit that was suggested above.

Some type of hand and foot powder (Gold Bond) to help keep your boots and gloves dry and cool.

Travel Pouch Neck Wallet, they are relatively inexpensive (starting at a couple of bucks) on the internet.

One thing I would suggest is to have Zap-A-Gap and Zip Kicker in the repair kit. Since it is a industrial super glue that will instantly repair or fill in any damage done to the armor, especially when you spray it with the Zip Kicker.

Maybe suggest some type of snacks (Energy or trail bars, cookies, etc.) so if someone does forget to eat before trooping, they can grab a quick snack so they won’t be trooping on an empty stomach. Especially if they are hyper or hypo glycemic. When you have this disorder it hits quickly and sometime makes you jittery and dis-oriented. .

• 3 weeks later...

I think doing an equipment check *before* you leave the house is always a good idea. Having a standard repair kit is also an excellent idea that's saved me time and again.

100% agree with Paul, except that I would add a detalled equipment inspection a day or two before. That way if something needs recharging, repaired, or you need to pick up some additional supplies, you have time to take care of it. The moments before I actually leave for a troop can be pretty rushed, so a high-level check (armor bin - check, helmet bag - check, field repair kit - check, BFG - check) is usually all I have time for.

Also agree with Matt - constantly donning/doffing your lid tends to ruin the image.

Not posting this up to start a fight or debate but....

1/Try to keep your lid on and stay in character as much as possible.

The public do notice, and why be just a guy wearing a set of stormtrooper armour when you can be a stormtrooper.

2/Have fun. ( whilst observing point 1 ). :DB)

QFT

Shins - always remember your shins :(

LOL

• 6 months later...

New Trooper here, those #2 Exacto knives are amazing for trimming down the armor, I started out using Aviation sheers, the thought being that the Exacto wouldn't be able to cut through the ABS, but after scoring the line a couple times, the pieces snap off like a dream.

Also, I saved the strips that I cut off to make snap plates and interior shims, saved me a little time, and let me use my nice clean ABS sheets to make those pretty cover strips/exterior shims.

Do not underestimate the power of a nail file. I've been using the round edge of those cardboard nail files, the fine side, to buff out some scratches that inevitably occurred, specifally on my ear caps and shoulder straps. I've actually not used a single piece of sand paper yet, period.

Just offering some insights from the building experience as I go through it for the first time.