TrooperMaster TM 1mm ESB replica armour build[*TM]

I took delivery of a big brown box of goodies again this morning.

It included this fantastic HDPE replica helmet, fully assembled and painted by TM. Many thanks to Paul for the incredible work on the helmet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll leave you with a few photos .... I have some trimming to do! :D

helmet07-1.jpg

helmet07-1.jpg

helmet03-1.jpg

helmet09-1.jpg

helmet02-1.jpg

helmet01-1.jpg

kit01-1.jpg

This 1mm flexible armour is mental!

kit02.jpg

kit03.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that stuff looks crazy flexible. There is no way i could do that with my ATA kit. Does the flexibility make it more comfortable to troop in?

I'll tell you when it's built! :lol:

It's super light, I can tell you that much. When the box arrived, I was wondering whether there was anything in it!

So cool man! Congrats. I'm in line...I hope!

Is the helmet made of HDPE or just made to look like it is. Either way - Stunning. Please get the build going so we can see!

The helmet is ABS, painted with an undercoat of grey/khaki coloured paint to replicate the HDPE. Then it's painted with a couple of coats of white with some intentional chipping for that screen-used look.

Yeah, what does he think of the armor, is it suitable for trooping?

Hi Mike,

Who is "he"? Me? :huh::D

I haven't finished building the suit yet so I can't tell you how it is to wear and walk around in.

The photo and the video I posted show the flexibility and strength of the material before it is built. Because of that I'm pretty certain it will stand up to whatever I can put it through.

I was particularly impressed by its resistance to tearing at the edges.

I finally got that piece of scrap to tear but it tok me a good 5 minutes and I had to keep folding it repeatedly along the same line to form a crease.

And then I had to subject it to forces a lot stronger than those I would exert by wearing the amrour and moving around in it.

I'll happily keep you informed as to how it stands up over time though.

Cheers

Rich

Yes, I agree. It might not be broken so easily but spoiled with bad marks along the folding edge :(

The video demonstrates the resistance to abuse of a piece of non-formed scrap. It is from a flat(ish) shapeless piece from between moulded parts.

My constant folding mould the seam into the material.

I wanted to see how much abuse it would take.

I don't plan on subjecting my finished armour to that kind of stress.

Do you fold the pieces of your armour like that?

Yes, I agree. It might not be broken so easily but spoiled with bad marks along the folding edge :(

So, do you really think anyone is going to bend their armour so severely while trooping as in the demonstration to get these crease lines?

I don't think so. You would have more of a sad face if you tried bending a TE/TE2, AP, SDS or any other replica armour so much. You would be gluing it back together :rolleyes:

Remember, these are just costumes and not real space armour. They don't have to be super thick to resist blaster bolts. They are lightweight and flexible costumes which I hope are more comfortable to wear than other replicas out there. I know my own 1mm armour was super light and easier to wear than my 2mm AC ABS. The flexability is such a bonus in my eyes and allows much more movement with peace of mind of not cracking anything.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more Rich :duim:

You would have more of a sad face if you tried bending a TE/TE2, AP, SDS

To be fair, the "brand" has nothing to do with it; it's the material. I wouldn't try bending my TM in 2mm ABS like I did in the picture either.

I don't know the exact composition of this stuff but it is incredibly rubbery/elastic. The tear-resistance at the edges is mind-boggling.

Obviously, time will tell just how the armour stands up to "trooping". As I say, I'm more than happy to report back from time to time. It would be silly to blindly put all your faith in what is effectively still a new development.

Just as it would be silly to try and discredit it with no direct experience of the product at all.

Looks pretty awesome I must admit. I know you would never abuse it that much, and it should be pretty light too. how about the helmet. is it also in 1mm/.040 ABS?

Yeah, same material. Pretty sturdy.

You know, it always makes me chuckle how much we always go on about whether something is "troopebale" or "suitable for trooping".

In my experience it's not the trooping that damages the kit, it's the transportation.

I have my armour in a big tool chest and it never gets more battered and beaten than when it's in transit. So far, apart from dirt and grime, my armour (the other set) has held up fine.

I've had to toss a resin blaster though. I don't think the maker allowed the resin to set hard enough and as a consequence it was always a bit soft. A couple of trips in the tool chest have ruined it. :(

Cant belive i have missed this thread Rich i am so happy you got your christmas present and what a lovley one to have , Paul has made a wicked job of your ESB lid just get building that screen accurate armour so Conney can have your TM 2mm, as for the bending test it is so flexy is unbeliveable me and Pete( Stukatrooper) recon the 1mm fits us better thatn the 2mm glossed , the 1mm wears you as the 2mm you have to wear it if that makes any sence , i showcased mine on a troop with Pete in his i must admit we looked a couple of scruffy old buggers;) but what a nice feeling , but the only thing i felt i had nothing on its so lite had to check if the shins were on :D iam only going to troop in mine on special accations i will contiune to troop in the 2mm glossed , i know Pete now has trooped in his 5 times now with no malfunctions , anyway stop reading this and get on with your build mate;)

You know, it always makes me chuckle how much we always go on about whether something is "troopebale" or "suitable for trooping".

In my experience it's not the trooping that damages the kit, it's the transportation.

That is SOOO true!!

Once I have my TE2 armor on it's fine!

It's getting it on and packing it away when I've cracked it. Of course it's a TD so the small cracks are fixed up and it just makes it "more authentic."

I can't WAIT to order my set of TM armor!

Going ESB with it for sure too!

i am so happy you got your christmas present and what a lovley one to have , Paul has made a wicked job of your ESB lid just get building that screen accurate armour

Thanks, mate! My armour arrived on Saturday morning so I had all weekend working on it. My customers were also kind to me and left me all day yesterday free.

I have it fully assembled and was in my home made paint booth last night. All primed and ready for the first gloss coat!

After a lot of umming and erring, studying screen caps and pestering Paul for advice, I finally decided I had to paint the suit and took the plunge. It wasn't an easy decision as the off-white colour of this armour looks just like the new suit that was found.

In the end I just felt a lot of the parts in ESB look glossy white and I like the way your suit and Pete's have taken the weathering. Here's a few photos ...

DSCF0450.jpg

DSCF0451.jpg

Ran out of Halford's white primer and had to switch to a standard grey product. The gloss white should cover it fine though ...

DSCF0453.jpg

I'm lucky to be able to do this stuff outside at the end of November. Nice and dry and a warm 23°C :P:D