Shepperton armor

Aid

it's not WONKY (well not more than any other screen-lineage lid), it's mirrored - See:

http://maidenfreak.ma.funpic.de/sheppertonfail.jpg

I still wouldn't buy it though :)

I used to own one. But never trooped in it

Lots I know say its too brittle.

That said, he's been involved in some very heavy legal dealings with Lucasfilm over his sales and his claims about the moulds he's using.

He claims he still has the original helmet moulds, but he certainly does not have the original body suit moulds.

He is the guy who made them back in 76, no doubting that, and the only seller who sells it already glued and made up for you. That maybe a plus point, but not if it requires trimming, and it WILL require mods to make it 501st trooper friendly and give it some security

As for your other options.....

Search for stuff like TM, AP, TE, TE2 RT mod etc There are a good few out there selling 'better' armour

I have a s.d.s. helmet , and comparing it side to side with Simons original a.n.h. one, its not even close ... so if he does have original moulds , he aint using them !!!

1ToW6GU.jpg

I have a set of SDS armor and the Battle Spec helmet. Bought it years ago before the LFL lawsuit went down. Paid a lot less back then than what he charges today. It's good, solid armor, but I don't know what he's putting out these days. Plus, you can't get it in the States anymore, legally. The best part about it was that it was ready to wear, no trimming, and a strapping system already in place.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

On 11/1/2010 at 4:48 AM, BTJepson said:

1ToW6GU.jpg

I have a set of SDS armor and the Battle Spec helmet. Bought it years ago before the LFL lawsuit went down. Paid a lot less back then than what he charges today. It's good, solid armor, but I don't know what he's putting out these days. Plus, you can't get it in the States anymore, legally. The best part about it was that it was ready to wear, no trimming, and a strapping system already in place.

why cant you get it in the states anymore?

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

why cant you get it in the states anymore?

Lucasfilm sued AA both in the States and the UK. They won in the States and got a mixed sentence in the UK. So he can keep selling armor, but not to the USA.

you can get it in the USA, it's just though one of his agents.

and the battle spec helmet has been modified from the original mould and

on his website he states that the battle spec mould has some CNC machining

done for the part, so that would explain the variance in that design.

it would be interesting to compare his original stunt mould.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

The lids more often than not are poorly assembled & I suspect more than just the battle spec are modified from the original mold & no I don't want to start a bash, I have one of his early kit's.

John's correct, It's a brittle kit but yep it does look nice out of the box.

Edited by riveting

The lids more often than not are poorly assembled

John's correct, It's a brittle kit but yep it does look nice out of the box.

He let it slip to me that he actually forms them himself, obviously, but sends his lids, poorly and quickly trimmed off the moulds down the round to a local college. Some kids there assemble them for him.....!!

This explains why they're awful at times. I cut mine up and trimmed more off my faceplate sides (this a hero BTW) and now it look a lot more 'accurate'

Some complain the lids faceplate angle sticks out too much, and it does, but some don't.

It depends who's trimmed it, fitted it I guess. anyway, with a bit of modifying the faceplate side cuts, you can make the plate sit squarer....

This applies to your wonky battlespec too. Just cut an inch off one side and reassemble it to be square. It's not the mould, I hope anyway, it's the monkeys who assemble them for him

I don't want to defend the guy cos it's not worth it and it seems he's been proven to be a bit of lying scumpunk lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new but I like my SDS armour. I did my first troop a few weeks ago and some of the more experienced members gave it a good look over and said it didn't seem as thin or brittle in places like previous SDS they'd seen.

It fits me really well, 5'10 and a bit, 34" waist and I don;t know if they were being nice but they said I actually looked really good in it.

My experience of dealing with the supplier was very good, helpful etc. I don't think everyone's had the same but I can only comment that it was good for me.