T-Track Fabrication

TK_LEPER

Hello my friends!

I'm getting a quote on making a minimum order of 5000 accurately sized T-Tracks (about 10" in length).

Requesting they be made of black ABS plastic. I'll let you know if it's feasible.

Kind Regards,

Jesse

I have a pic of the cross section of an original one somewhere. Let me dig it out

Karin

Kool, yeah... that would make thing a lot easier for me! Thanks in advance K!

Jess

How will these be made? Extruded material? Injection molded?

Interested, and count me in for a few sets!

Extruded, you would have to bend them, etc.

the rakes are really easy to use, but have that subtle taper...

really hard to notice!

I really want them to be accurate, and there is still a great need. FOR THE EMPIRE! :)

Edited by TK 4702

are you going to use the Gino profile? or the sabrefreak profile?

Neither,

I would consider that to be cheating, or even worse.

I just wouldn't feel good about myself, you know?

I'll do them from scratch, like I do with all my TK parts.

Going off of photo references, size comparisons, etc.

J

Edited by TK 4702

well, you know the gino track has a curved base to follow the original "found" profile

and the sabrefreak is just also a "found" item, so it could not be considered 'recast' but it would

be considered prop replication, which is fine in the prop community.

I was wondering how much research you had in mind to cover the concept.

Neither,

I would consider that to be cheating, or even worse.

I just wouldn't feel good about myself, you know?

I'll do them from scratch, like I do with all my TK parts.

Going off of photo references, size comparisons, etc.

J

Couldn't agree more. Great idea.

One thing that popped into my head: why not create a 3D file of it (even in Illustrator, just use bezier curves). This could be converted to a profile view in CAD and that could be used to make the die for extrusion.

Well,

I'm going to see if I can find a company that will make less than 5000 pieces. Because, that would be more than 800 sets (6X) of T-Tracks! Frankly, I would be surprised if I could even sell more than a couple hundred sets.

What do you guys think?

Jess

I think you are right about the figures.

I also think it's going to be difficult finding a company which will make smaller quantities of a product which they in essence will have to custom-build from scratch.

The initial outlay (development, new tools etc.) has to be rewarded by a big production order otherwise it may turn out to be prohibitively expensive.

Don't be discouraged - leave no stone unturned etc. - but it might turn out be easier trying to source an existing item which fits the bill. Or even building somethign from scratch yourself? You're good with your hands and very creative, Jess, I bet you could build something out of scraps of ABS, or even make a mould and form parts.

What about talking to Steve (TANGO'D FETT: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showuser=1939) about developing some resin parts. He's even casting the ESB greeblies in a rubbery material now.

Edited by Rick330

I think you are right about the figures.

I also think it's going to be difficult finding a company which will make smaller quantities of a product which they in essence will have to custom-build from scratch.

The initial outlay (development, new tools etc.) has to be rewarded by a big production order otherwise it may turn out to be prohibitively expensive.

Don't be discouraged - leave no stone unturned etc. - but it might turn out be easier trying to source an existing item which fits the bill. Or even building somethign from scratch yourself? You're good with your hands and very creative, Jess, I bet you could build something out of scraps of ABS, or even make a mould and form parts.

What about talking to Steve (TANGO'D FETT: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showuser=1939) about developing some resin parts. He's even casting the ESB greeblies in a rubbery material now.

I could cast them myself... but I'll keep on looking for other options. The 1st quote:

Jesse,

The $750 is for the tooling to produce the part as well as development time from the engineering department. The cost per foot is $.373 with a minimum order of 5,000 feet for a minimum order total of $1865.00. Make sense?

-End

Edited by TK 4702

The 1st quote:

Jesse,

The $750 is for the tooling to produce the part as well as development time from the engineering department. The cost per foot is $.373 with a minimum order of 5,000 feet for a minimum order total of $1865.00. Make sense?

-End

This is exactly the situation that I ran into when I had mine custom made.

It is also why I have to charge so much in an effort to try and make my as much of my money back as possible (which I still haven't).

It's a bad financial deal for the person fronting the money (ie me) because it's doubtful that I'll ever be able to recoup from t-track sales.

I had to have it made and bite the financial bullet because I wanted to see it made correctly once and for all. In other words, I did it a what will most likely end up being a loss rather than turn any profit whatsoever.

I did have it made and it turned out awesome and incredibly accurate.

I still have some left, but unfortunately, it's on the pricey side.

No sense re-inventing the wheel when it is already available.

Unfortunately, the cost of accuracy can suck the fun out of things (and our wallets).

Edited by GINO

Shop around dude

I almost did this myself and got put off by the limited length until I found a company here in the uk who I'd pay just to make the extrusion mould first

The actual track would then be pennies /m

I just never got around to it but if you look around and find someone to do both you'll be fine

GINO, maybe you should have done what this guy is doing. A bit of homework on demand va expected costs first

Mine didn't come to anywhere near yours guys. Shop around please

I could cast them myself... but I'll keep on looking for other options. The 1st quote:

Jesse,

-End

Honestly, that isn't near what I thought it would cost. I don't think it's that bad at all! Look at it this way, you said there would be 800 sets; 1865/800= 2.33125 per set to just cover cost. Now, you think you might only sell a few hundred sets...ok. 1865/200=9.325 per set to make up for cost. Anything else would be gravy. 33 years later and people still are joining the forum (take THAT Avatar!) to live out the Star Wars fantasy. I don't think the need for t-tracks is going to go away anytime soon. Just my two cents (Oh...and I'll take two sets). :D