How much pull force are your Rare earth magnets?

I've checked all the threads and comments on rare earth magnets, and all the links to the individual magnets ppl used are dead >_<. So i was wondering if someone could tell me if they remember the pull force on the magnets they used, or what force i should keep above / below.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use 3/4" x 1/8" thick rare earth magnets, 2 stacked together (2 on top, 2 on the bottom). Each one pulls 22 lbs. I know some other troopers use big square ones but I couldn't find them locally so I used these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

On 8/16/2010 at 12:12 PM, pandatrooper said:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use 3/4" x 1/8" thick rare earth magnets, 2 stacked together (2 on top, 2 on the bottom). Each one pulls 22 lbs. I know some other troopers use big square ones but I couldn't find them locally so I used these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I've pinched skin off my fingers a few times, that's how much pull they have. Be cautious.

Lol will do.

Just got them in, and these buggers are nuts. Now just waiting on my AM kit to get here. should be tomorrow!

Are there any hardware or craft stores in the US that sell them? I've been checking all of the usual suspects online but can't seem to find anything.

*EDIT*

Never mind! I found a thread that said that local stores don't carry the good ones and to just order them online.

Edited by Jorran

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you are going to use the mags for clamping then all they need to do is hold the two parts you are gluing.Not pull the moon out of its orbit with them.

One top tip is keep your work area clear of any rivets knives pliers screws etc as they will all end up attatching themselves to you armour part.

Since somebody asked, I have actually had luck finding them at my local Michael's craft stores. Two different locations near me, carry the silver rare earth type. They only have two sizes but it was cool to see them, I stocked up on some. I may go online to order up some of the larger ones for the future.

• 6 months later...

Looks like they have a rating as to how strong they are: N35, N38, N40, N42, N48 etc.

After some further googling, I found some more information at http://www.kjmagnetics.com/neomaginfo.asp

N35, N38, N42, N38SH...what does it all mean? Neodymium magnets are all graded by the material they are made of. As a very general rule, the higher the grade (the number following the 'N'), the stronger the magnet. The highest grade of neodymium magnet currently available is N52.

Further information: Neodymium Magnet Physical Properties

So the tip is to look at the N*-rating, and it looks like N40 is more than sufficient, anyway that's the rating of the 10x5mm magnets stukatrooper linked to, and his builds seem to work out allright ;)

Quick tip, if you have any old hard drives lying around, they have stupidly strong magnets inside, plus once they are apart you can make really sure any sensitive data can not be retrieved from the platters.

I'm using this method. I've already pulled apart about thirty or so hard drives. Also, remember the older the hard drive the better the magnet. Some of the old compaq hard drives have magnets strong enough to crush fingers.

Oh, and make sure to wear gloves when handling these things. Strong magnets are not toys.

Yeah I got most of my magnets out off old SCSI server grade hard drives. Must have been around 10 000 USD worth of hard drives back in the day. It's good to work in IT. :D

Yeah I got most of my magnets out off old SCSI server grade hard drives. Must have been around 10 000 USD worth of hard drives back in the day. It's good to work in IT. :D

I got some weird Neodynium mix alloy magnets at work that are extra strong the other day (the will stick with one on my stomach and one of them on my back) that are used to focus electron beams in our linear accelerators. Everything was great until it jumped across the room and exploded against my tool box.

Yeah, you only need like 3-4 lbs force for gluing.

I got some weird Neodynium mix alloy magnets at work that are extra strong the other day (the will stick with one on my stomach and one of them on my back) that are used to focus electron beams in our linear accelerators. Everything was great until it jumped across the room and exploded against my tool box.

OMG!! :D

Now that is strong!

Yeah I've heard stories about two of those super magnets being put in the same room and having them fly across the room and injure people. I wouldn't want to be near any of those magnets ever.

Yeah I've heard stories about two of those super magnets being put in the same room and having them fly across the room and injure people. I wouldn't want to be near any of those magnets ever.

Yeah, we had a big one similar to those get stuck to the ceiling once when it sheared the bolts on its 5 ton cart. Someone used like brass 1/4-20 bolts to hold it down. :o