Painting Rank on Ear Piece

On 1/18/2013 at 7:48 PM, TK-42779 said:

I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about since TAPATALK says this topic has been going on since 1969.

This may explain it,

----------

A TK snuck a ride LOL

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

No joke...it now says "04/07/1970".

He must be changing the future when he goes back and has to try to fix it as he goes LOL. Wonder where he will be next. This was dated 1872

storm_trooper.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 1/15/2013 at 7:20 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Hmmm interesting, shame this wan't carried through for the command staff to hand out to troopers, would be an incentive to become a more involved member of the forum :)

On 1/15/2013 at 12:52 PM, svache said:

that's actually a pretty cool idea imho.. maybe it's an idea to start that up for those who are interested in it (that way ppl don't have to feel obligated)

.....I always think of good ol' Mutley when I hear things like this http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp139/Billhag/GIFS/shades.gif

---------

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 1 year later...

There are 15 combinations if you include no striping, which would easily allow 8 enlisted ranks + 7 officers. We could easily make this:

0 = no stripe

1 = stripe

Below makes it also dead simple to tell an officer from an enlisted man.

ENLISTED (note all start with 0)

0000 - PVT : Private (and private recruit)

0001 - PFC : Private First Class

0010 - CPL : Corporal (assistant team leader)

0011 - SGT : Sergeant (team leader)

0100 - SSG : Staff Sergeant (squad leader)

0101 - SFC : Sergeant First Class (platoon sergeant)

0110 - MSG : Master Sergeant / First Sergeant

0111 - CSM : Command Sergeant Major / Sergeant Major

OFFICER (note all start with 1)

1000 - WO : Warrant officer (all ranks, e.g. WO1)

1001 - 1LT/2LT : Lieutenant (2nd or 1st) (platoon leader)

1010 - CPT : Captain (company commander)

1011 - MAJ : Major (batallion XO, usually) (aka sub Commander)

1100 - LTC : Lieutenant Colonel (batallion commander) (aka Commander)

1110 - COL : Colonel (brigade commander)

1111 - GEN : General (all ranks)

I'm lumping in all the Generals as it's unlikely many will don full armor, as most will probably be like General Veers and with a simple helmet/chest armor. Also, I'd suspect that if they did need to don full armor there would be so few at one time that distinguishing between a Brigadier General or Lt General, etc. wouldn't be very helpful.

Someone made a cool graphic of that. 

13832464604_db757e0420.jpg

If someone could figure this out for the helmets, that would be awesome. In the Marine Corps (I'm a Veteran) when you have your rife and and officer is present; you would bring it forward in front of you holding it vertically. You would salute your rifle with your right hand perpendicular with the center of the rifle. Then go back to 'port arms'.

Well, I did the best I could. Seems until someone finds something better, it's what we have. Do remember like post ranks this is just for fun, and if you want to get in to film replication you'll need to mind the notes that Damian posted.

I suppose that it could be a universal Enlisted and Officer standard, with changing titles to allow for regional/language differences.  The visual rank would not change, so an E-8 would be the same from place to place, regardless of title.  Even within canon, there are allowances made for differing titles based on the "branch of service" (ie, Admirals and Generals both exist within the rank structures).

I do think that splitting the LTs (or only having one LT) makes sense also.  That would require some sort of additional symbol of rank for the Flag Officers though.

Very cool thread, and nicely done on the symbology, Paul.  It makes perfect sense and allows for a universal standard, so to speak.

Edited by Dark CMF

Well, I did the best I could. Seems until someone finds something better, it's what we have. Do remember like post ranks this is just for fun, and if you want to get in to film replication you'll need to mind the notes that Damian posted.

This is pretty sweet & have to say "I do like the idea" & how you've based it on US rank since your ex military as well ;)

Everyone knows well okay... maybe a few more of the hardcore geeky troopers :P know the line indicates rank so it would be good to have a identified rank system for those who like to expand on details ;)

jAG