Accurate snap button position on thighs

After putting my armor on with belt, I taped my thighs in place. marked where the drop boxes hung down and glued my snaps to my thighs on that line.

Yes, the straps are hidden behind the drop boxes on mine.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I´ve got mine in the middle, but Tray´s way of doing it sounds like a great idea. But then again, I´m a TD, so I don´t have any drop boxes.

However, I would suggest securing the strap to the thighs with two snaps instead of just one, as this is a high stress area. And having your thighs fall down in the middle of a troop really, really sucks. Trust me, I know.

Edited by TK6237

The 'accurate' place for the snaps is in the trash can. Screen used armour did not have snaps. If you want to know the 'best' place to put your snaps, I'd suggest about 1" from the inside top behind your joining strip. You can make a double snap tab to give you some adjustment.

The 'accurate' place for the snaps is in the trash can. Screen used armour did not have snaps. If you want to know the 'best' place to put your snaps, I'd suggest about 1" from the inside top behind your joining strip. You can make a double snap tab to give you some adjustment.

So that begs the question - how did the screen stormtroopers keep their thigh armor from falling? :unsure:

The elastics were glued directly to the thighs with white E6000, the same between forearms and biceps.

In some scenes you can see the white glue on the partially detached elastics.

yeah, those LFL photos really up'ed the accuracy element.

I use a combination of velcro and a single snap. the velcro keeps the snap

secure from both sides.

I put a snap tab right in the middle of velcro, and my elastic has a snap with velcro on the top and bottom

of that snap. The elastic I use is set to pull Upwards with force, keeping them tight.

Simple, yes..... you can make this assembly stuff as complicated as you like. For maximum trooping durability with fancy snaps and quick connect clips like it was "real space armor", or screen accuracy. Remember, the originals were assembled in a short amount of time - only now do people spend hours getting it "right" (which is highly subjective, and in the eye of the suit owner) Get a six pack of your favorite beer, some glue and elastic, and just go at it. You can overthink these things.........

On 7/18/2010 at 3:28 PM, troopermaster said:

This is just where i have my inaccurate snaps located. About an inch inside the top in the centre.

5mLeiJl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion it's better to free the thighs from the abdominal part if you use the armor for hard trooping. You can fasten your thighs to the abdominal part for one or two shots in a movie, if something goes wrong you can stop the shot and fix it. But in hours of trooping your walking normally starts to lower your thighs and all the rest attached to them.

First I used the movie accurate method, but after months of trooping with 501st I changed my position and I fastened the thighs at a black belt under the armor. A friend of mine used a very best method imho for his Gundam/Zaku costume, he fastened the thighs to crossed braces (left thigh on right shoulder and right thigh on the left shoulder). This allows the thighs, and the rest of your armor, to stay in their position even while you run.

Just my two cents. Opposite speech if you put the armor on a mannequin of course. There wouldn't be any reason to make inaccurate things.

Edited by lightside

Sorry, I understood from the picture you posted above that thighs were attached with velcro to the abdomen.

The pictue I posted shows elastic glued to the thighs which is exactly how the movie suits was. The elastic is looped over at the tops for the thin belt that goes under the torso armour. The only velcro used on the original armour was on the back of the canvas belt and nowhere else.

The pictue I posted shows elastic glued to the thighs which is exactly how the movie suits was. The elastic is looped over at the tops for the thin belt that goes under the torso armour. The only velcro used on the original armour was on the back of the canvas belt and nowhere else.

Perfect, thanks. :)