Metal clips for TD

Hi everyone,

So in an effort to make my FX (shudder), I've been working on deployment mods. However, I'm having trouble with the TD. I used a version of super Glue to hold the clips to the ABS TD, but the glue does not hold.

Once the glue tries it appears to make a strong bond. However, when I try to slip the clips onto my belt, they break contact with the TD and fall off.

Any recommendations for a glue that will bond the metal to the ABS plastic of the TD?

Use the Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Not the plastic weld just the normal epoxy. Also make sure you sand the surfaces that are going to be glued, this makes for a better bond.

You could also try E6000. You can get it at most hobby or craft stores.

Also, try drilling 2-3 holes in the back of the clip, where it attaches to the TD. When you glue it, make sure some comes up thru the hole and expands beyond the opening. This will help keep the clips in place better than just direct contact. You could also try the same with the back of the TD, drill a couple of small holes for the glue to fill into.

Good luck!!

:trooper:

Mike TK1536 used Gorilla glue which I picked up today at Target (close to home). I'm going to give that a try this evening and see if that works. If its doesn't I'll give the E6K or Epoxy a try.

Scott, good idea about the holes. I'm almost thinking I should rivet the darn thing, but I'm worried I'll lose strength in the bankers clips when I try to bend them back into shape.

• 2 weeks later...

DUH! OK, now I'm on the same page! Some ideas have come up, and yes sanding or even taking a grinder to the metal will improve adhesion.

But what would be wrong with just using a few 1/4 X 20 bolts with lock washers?

• 5 months later...

any one know where to find the clips? i have tried b&q, marks & Spencer, next, stationary box, maplin, Woolworths and pets @ home and the closest i could find was a corner bracket that 1. i would need to bend and 2. was too narrow looking at the pictures. :(

any help here would be great.

I would suggest trying any form of leather store. I used ones from Tandy Leather:

Tandy Clip link

I am guessing something similar could be found at most leather places, even in the UK. Tandy may ship overseas as well, I have never tried that.

Best of luck,

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how the originals metal pieces were attached to the TD? I am using bankers clips but would like to attach them as 'accurately' as possible. I am guessing rivets and would also like to know how many to use on each clip.

Thanks,

JT

I built my canister as close to the originals. From what I can see, they used flat aluminium bar that was bent to shape and riveted in place. TE said that the clips are 1 1/4" wide. I used 1" originally, then changed to 1 1/4" but I think the bar I use is slightly thicker than the originals, but is all I can get (so far).

XtoSxQz.jpg

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like 3 rivets you got there, yeah?

Oh yeah, and can you tell me how wide your end-caps are in 'MM' as well as the length of the whole TD from end to end?

THANKS!!

John :)

Paul is on the right track.

But the Bankers clips will work just fine as well, and either E6000 or Gorilla Glue should work fine for attaching them.

Yes sir, I used Gorilla glue and the bond is fantastic.

Yes sir, I used Gorilla glue and the bond is fantastic.

Ed, I use gorilla glue too, but keep in mind that if a fan has their arm behind your back for a picture, they can break the bond if they hit it hard enough when they drop their arm. I know because it has happened to me twice. But I just glue it right back together again for the next troop.