Good sources for aluminum tubing (for E11 build)?

I'm considering making my E11 pipe blaster barrel / body from 1.5" aluminum tubing instead of PVC for lighter weight, and more room internally for electronics, etc.

Anyone have any good sources in Canada or the USA for thin walled aluminum tubing for an E11 blaster build? I'm not really sure what thickness of aluminum would be best (1.5mm? something like 0.1" wall thickness?)

I've heard of metalsupermarket, but never ordered from them before. Are they good?

Any input would be great, thanks!

http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

I had seen this referenced as where to buy for L brackets for building a ESB Solo DL44 scope mount, over on the blaster builders.

Looks like they have lots of aluminum to choose from. Have never used myself.

Actually still mulling over the scratch build E11 myself. Looking forward to your build thread!

Are you going with the full Doopydoos kit, or full scratch?

Thanks Derek, I'll check that out. I'll just be using some of the Doopy's pipe kit parts for now. However I'll make my own bracket for the stock, scope mount, and my own versions of the magazine / well and Hensgtler as I need these to be hollow. I'm going to scratch build those and then cast them in 1 piece for durability, but they'll be hollow for electronics. I'll also hollow out part of the trigger and make my own working trigger assembly to actuate the electronics. I may or may not do something with the scope. Ideally (read: later) I'd like to make it hollow for weight savings and some kind of scope / light FX.

This blaster will have electronic sound / light FX, so I've spent enough money on it as it is! It was time to upgrade from the Hasbro! I'm saving my time for another project this year, so the pipe kit will have to do for now. :)

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I had no idea there were so many places that would sell small quantity. The FISD comes through again. It looks like Speedy Metals is the cheapest for a thin walled 1.5" x 2' tube. Personally, I like supporting small business and industrial metals price is barely higher than Speedy Metals. Nice find everyone! Not to high-jack, but this could be a really fun build for less cost than I imagined. Good luck, Panda

Edit: Check out this e-11 scratch built tutorial...tons of photos and pretty well done. The main body build begins on page 3:

http://www.darksidesithlord.com/my-costume...reation-01.html

I had no idea there were so many places that would sell small quantity. The FISD comes through again. It looks like Speedy Metals is the cheapest for a thin walled 1.5" x 2' tube. Personally, I like supporting small business and industrial metals price is barely higher than Speedy Metals. Nice find everyone! Not to high-jack, but this could be a really fun build for less cost than I imagined. Good luck, Panda

Edit: Check out this e-11 scratch built tutorial...tons of photos and pretty well done. The main body build begins on page 3:

http://www.darksidesithlord.com/my-costume...reation-01.html

I've seen this website but this is my first time seeing the video (page 10) awesome. He sounds like Dracula. buhahahahah! He is very talented.

• 2 months later...

I'll second a most excellent company to get metal from is speedymetals.com (listed above). After industrialmetalsales.com dropped the ball speedy metals was great to work with and their prices were way better. It also turns out they have several branch locations and I didn't have to get my stuff shipped.

if you have a local walmart they sell floor lamps that use 1 1/4" pipe, they are around 20$, also a old metal bicycle pump will work, they are not aluminum but very light steel and easy to find

I'm considering making my E11 pipe blaster barrel / body from 1.5" aluminum tubing instead of PVC for lighter weight, and more room internally for electronics, etc.

Anyone have any good sources in Canada or the USA for thin walled aluminum tubing for an E11 blaster build? I'm not really sure what thickness of aluminum would be best (1.5mm? something like 0.1" wall thickness?)

I've heard of metalsupermarket, but never ordered from them before. Are they good?

Any input would be great, thanks!

what do you Americans use to hold the t.v. aerial up on yor houses with ? Over here our local d.i.y. stores sell alluminium extension posts for holding aeriels up with ..thin wall , annodised and cheap. Usually available in two thicknesses and about a yard long . Its what the U.K. Dalek builders use for their Dalek arm sections. ;)

what do you Americans use to hold the t.v. aerial up on yor houses with ? Over here our local d.i.y. stores sell alluminium extension posts for holding aeriels up with ..thin wall , annodised and cheap. Usually available in two thicknesses and about a yard long . Its what the U.K. Dalek builders use for their Dalek arm sections. ;)

T.V. aerials? What is this strange language you speak? We're all digital over here. (I know the stuff you're thinking of, good suggestion.)