Dark_GTI04's ATA build[*ATA]

ata3.jpg

I was SO surprised when it showed up. I had no idea when it was gonna get here. Paid on Sunday, arrived the following Saturday.

Man, that butt-piece looks huge. :D

I've already trimmed the chest piece

ata4.jpg

And back

ata.jpg

bicep piece

ata2.jpg

can someone else confirm for me that this is the left one (the one with the somewhat straight inner arm cut). I think I read that the right one has the V-shape on the inside of the arm.

I'll post more pics as I move along. I got the whole score and snapping technique down good. I was using a rotary tool to sand/trim but flying pieces of hot plastic wasnt too pleasant to my skin :P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, what store did you get it from?

They had them at Macy's. They had the Star Wars hoodies too. They probably have em on their website also. I bought two other ones from the Marc ecko website. They were on clearance too.

Ya, I didn't really know that either, but when i took a look at them, the left had junk plastic down to the very edge while there was a clear return on the right bicep, on my ATA armor anyway.

Looks like ATA didn't get a mould from AP, the chest is different, the back plate looks large enough to be an FX

overall that kit looks like a cross between an FX and a AP?

should be fun for your buildup!

will be fun to troop with you soon!

vern

It's definitely not even close to AP. It's directly related to the T*E armor. The reason the chest and back look different is because ATA is pulled in HIPS where as AP is pulled in ABS. The details pulled in HIPs are much more sharper than details pulled in ABS when comparing ATA and AP. AP armor is GFs old molds that were cleaned up a little more and they were not as sharp as T*E when GF originally got them.

At work!

CIMG0760.jpg

While everyone else is at lunch. I'll do some trimming at my desk. :lol: Might as well be productive during my breaks. During the trimming stage, half the time its done by utility knife/hobby blade; the rest is with a dremel. I like the dremel because I feel like I have more control. I'm too nervous with the blade, I don't want to apply too much pressure and have the blade cut where I don't want it too. That and the idea of slicing my hands and ending up having to get stiches. I worked at Home Depot long enough and cut myself quite a few times while there. :wacko:

Starting to trim/test fit the thighs. What do I do about this? The bottom edge doesn't line up.

CIMG0761.jpg

I've seen someone else with the same ATA kit trim the back like this

back_legtrim.jpg

I guess this is my route.

Has anyone ever filled up gaps with bondo or other type of filler material?

Ya, i came across that too, i used a heat gun on it, and while i kinda got it lined up, its still not all that great of a job i did, maybe its from my inexperience, but i would say stay away from the heat gun because this stuff is thinner than most other armors, it will want to shrink and just start melting off practically.

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

that little line on the left side is from using a clamp because it had drooped down and shrunk so i just clamped it to thin it out again, it worked ok but i didn't think much before i did it, i should of used a clamp that was a bit weaker, put some flat pieces on it so the lines on the clamp wouldn't of deformed the plastic like that

but here's my end result, the piece ended up just slightly higher than the other

DSC00309.jpg

Starting to trim/test fit the thighs. What do I do about this? The bottom edge doesn't line up.

CIMG0761.jpg

I've seen someone else with the same ATA kit trim the back like this

back_legtrim.jpg

I guess this is my route.

Has anyone ever filled up gaps with bondo or other type of filler material?

I used a regular Bic lighter to heat this area and then pliers to form them to the same level. I used some squadron putty on my seems, then sanded down to were the seem was still visible. I wanted visible seems to come thru the paint job, but not open gaps. I used a lighter to soften and bend parts for my blaster and some ares of my armor, It works great. I have read too many horror stories about heat guns and armor. The key is to not actually touch the flame to the armor just hold it under the area you want to soften and wait a little while, then do what you need to in terms of shaping. You can test on your trimmed off excess. Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestions naatsirhc & kevster. Another route I was thinking was cutting the back of thigh so that the finishing strip went ALL the way down the back. Filling in the gap/misalignment that is there. What do you think? Would this miss up any "accuracy"?

backlegcut.jpg

Well, I don't know of any suits that have the strips going over those pieces on the thighs, so i think it would, and if you do, it might not be eligible for EIB if you plan on going for that. but please don't take me as final word, i'm just going by conclusion from what i've seen. and Naatsirihc's lighter idea sounds pretty good, its much more pin point heating i would think and you can adjust the flame fairly low as well. also when working on that particular piece, i found that it really started coming together when you try and work on both sides instead of just one, at least for me it did anyway.

you definately do not want to run the strip all the way down, if you want it to look right. Here are a couple of pics of my thigh.

Here is the finished look with strip stopping at the ridge. Note the seem and how I brought the two parts together.

thigh1.jpg

Here is an inside view, I epoxied a strip of scrap to hold this area together.

thigh2.jpg

I can only suggest you do something like this, ultimately it is your call!

I hope the pictures help you, if you need any more pics let me know. You can review my build thread for photos, as well.( not tying to promote my thread, just lend a helping hand- everyone is different and I am not saying mine is the best or the right way.)

I've pretty much looked at everyone's ATA builds that I could find and quite a few of them have left that lil gap in the back of the right thigh. Some TDs have made it to MEPD with that gap. Its in the back of the leg, who the heck is gonna be looking close enough to notice that? :blink:

I trimmed a u in the back of mine. Only way I could bend my legs. wound up taking it off to the top of that ridge.

ATAArmor003-3.jpg

best pic I could find that I have of my legs

4077333648_75b5d94dd9_m.jpg Doopydoos add-on kit came in today. It arrived rather quick, wasn't expecting it. I picked up a holster from a fellow 501st member too and that came in as well.

4076579463_27b8d45107_m.jpg

Began with chopping off the muzzle and cutting down the scope.

As far as the armor, tonight I started putting together the left arm piece as well as finishing up both biceps. This build is WAY more challenging than my FX was, by far! :D

I supposed I'll be getting more done in the nights ahead now that baseball is officially over for the season. Those darn Yankees!!!

• 3 weeks later...