Boots

89Batman

I was thinking today about getting some new boots for my TK and was disappointed in the lack of choice- it seems we can paint our own or buy Caboots. It got me thinking that an organisation as big as the 501st could approach a boot manufacturer with our own spec and have them made- surely the numbers that would want them would make it worthwhile for the bootmaker. It seems like we could be missing an opportunity here, just imagine nice TK boots designed by us, for us, to troop! what do you guys think?

We had that back when Mark Cheng was in business.

Unfortunately even though the 501st is a large organization, we don't buy thousands of pairs of boots a year, and that is what manufacturing is looking at. When I was looking for accurate boots (yes to paint) I couldn't find any in my size and contacted several companies and was told there was not enough demand for size 12 or 13 to warrant making them.

This has been brought up before not here, but in other forums fo other boots and stuff. the main issue is that boots that are good boots and made in the USA the number and volume that needs to be done so that they even think about it is HUGE!!!!! now 99% of boot makers have the boots made elsewere ( not USA) and the volume they need is 3-4 times what are needed in the USA. its a numbers thing..... Ithink the Jango fett boots that K-boot sells are made in Brazil.

Thats the problem even if every member of the 501st would get 1 or 2 pares ( more then 8000 pares) it still dosent cover the intrest in almost all shoe stores........ and the ones that would be intrestead ( smaller stores) the money they invest to make the prototypes and first small runns make the shoes to expensive.......

But there is nothing said about trying to look for prices and stuff.

I've thought about this too. While there may seem like there's a lot of demand, it's not even close to the numbers needed to order shipments from suppliers. Joey is correct, you either need to order thousands of affordable boots from China (where minimum orders would be very high) or contract a smaller supplier to make them in the USA, but the cost would be quadrupled.

Caboots didn't make their own TK boots, they were made by another supplier that went out of business, that's why they only have some sizes left. They haven't been able to find the right supplier that can make the quantities they need at the price they want. They said they should have someone lined up soon and will start making boots in a few months. But they only offer that one style.

Personally, I don't like caboots that much in terms of the shiny white finish and the stitching near the instep. You're correct in that if we designed our own boot, it would be better and more based on what the community wants.

Ideally, I think it would be cool if there were design choices / options:

Standard design:

- seamless leather construction or synthetic if costs are too high

- no "fancy" stitching

- black sole / heel

- elastic sides

- pull tabs

I would suggest offering 2 finishes. A shiny bright white for those that like the style, and a more matte finish off white, that might be more screen accurate to match armor. If necessary, people can apply white shoe polish to brighten them up. Right now, there' no "finished" options for those that want less shiny boots. Caboots are like patent leather white finish, which just doesn't look right to me.

I think it might also be worthwhile to contact a Jodhpur style boot manufacturer, and see if they'd do a run with white leather and white elastic. Do a big group buy. There's a lot of Jodhpur makers since they're riding boots, you can find decent ones for about $50.

That would be a dream come true for me. :)

What about finding a boot manufacturer that already makes the correct style boot and getting them to do a run in white? That sounds as if it wouldn't be as difficult.

What about finding a boot manufacturer that already makes the correct style boot and getting them to do a run in white? That sounds as if it wouldn't be as difficult.

This is a great idea, its just finsing a company that would be willing to do it for us.

Get yourself a pair of Loakes, paint em up and be done with it, simples ;)

I looked these up. They are nice (pricey for us in the U. S.) I think what we need is something in the same price range and style as the CAboots. I've been looking and it's a hard find.

If someone could find something, I know I'm in the need for a couple pair.

Right now I'm in a pickel until CAboots get back with something. They are out of my size.

Um, anyone in the UK know anything about Trickers Factory Shop shoes? They make a women's white jodhpur (not suitable for trooping though because of decorative elements), but maybe....talking with them about a couple of runs of white jodhpurs for the 501st might work. However, the cost might be prohibitive. Just a thought. :unsure:

The Best way would be to have an all ready running Footwear/boot maker to A) do a run of his existing boot, with the change's that would meet our need's or B, Convince him to do a limited run of boot from a size 8 to 12, and to only do a small run and see if he get's the volume of sale's that can off-set his time ect. Sorry but you'll have to get used to the idea that you will pay and maybe pay high at first. I think it may be best if the maker was in the US then Canada, and last the UK. That would be the best location's that could best serve the 501st community. Just my 2 cent's.

I found a company that I think makes Jodhpurs in the USA, but they don't have a website or e-mail contact. :P I'd be curious what the cost would be. The thing is, even if we were able to find a manufacturer to do a run (probably at least a couple hundred pairs) the cost would be really high as an investment. I'm just brainstorming here, so my numbers are guesstimates at best.

I'm just running some numbers, let's say a manufacturer would make them, in leather, etc.. Due to the smaller run, wholesale cost might be approx $40 (I'm just guessing) at say 250 pairs (this would be a conservative number for a big manufacturer, any less and I'm not sure if they'd do it. If it was a lower cost from China, they'd want even bigger numbers) in various sizes (say, 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 at 50 pairs each), that's like a $10,000 investment - not including any shipping costs.

That's a lot of money, and for someone to invest that - they'd want to help the TK community but they'd want some money for their time and effort. So they'd sell the boots for say $75. So there'd be some profit.

At the end of the day:

- BIG initial investment

- some return / profit for their work / time

- taking orders, tracking, storage, packaging to ship, brokerage fees, duties and taxes, customs, shipping to customers

- potentially being stuck with some sizes (some sizes always sell more than others)

- potential returns / refunds due to boots not fitting, etc..

- getting stuck with stock, not being able to return it to a manufacturer

- selling leftovers at cost or loss

Those are just ideas, but it's a pretty big undertaking. I'd love to do something like this, but it's a lot of money and effort. I think it's worth looking into tho.

The Best way would be to have an all ready running Footwear/boot maker to A) do a run of his existing boot, with the change's that would meet our need's or B, Convince him to do a limited run of boot from a size 8 to 12, and to only do a small run and see if he get's the volume of sale's that can off-set his time ect. Sorry but you'll have to get used to the idea that you will pay and maybe pay high at first. I think it may be best if the maker was in the US then Canada, and last the UK. That would be the best location's that could best serve the 501st community. Just my 2 cent's.

Well, Tricker's Factory in the UK does do women's white jodhpur boots. At least they used to:

Tricker's Factory White Silvia Brogue Jodhpur boots

However, looking at the prices for their boots, 215 USD and up, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for boots I'm not wearing all the time.

Who knows though....

I found a company that I think makes Jodhpurs in the USA, but they don't have a website or e-mail contact. :P I'd be curious what the cost would be. The thing is, even if we were able to find a manufacturer to do a run (probably at least a couple hundred pairs) the cost would be really high as an investment. I'm just brainstorming here, so my numbers are guesstimates at best.

I'm just running some numbers, let's say a manufacturer would make them, in leather, etc.. Due to the smaller run, wholesale cost might be approx $40 (I'm just guessing) at say 250 pairs (this would be a conservative number for a big manufacturer, any less and I'm not sure if they'd do it. If it was a lower cost from China, they'd want even bigger numbers) in various sizes (say, 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 at 50 pairs each), that's like a $10,000 investment - not including any shipping costs.

That's a lot of money, and for someone to invest that - they'd want to help the TK community but they'd want some money for their time and effort. So they'd sell the boots for say $75. So there'd be some profit.

At the end of the day:

- BIG initial investment

- some return / profit for their work / time

- taking orders, tracking, storage, packaging to ship, brokerage fees, duties and taxes, customs, shipping to customers

- potentially being stuck with some sizes (some sizes always sell more than others)

- potential returns / refunds due to boots not fitting, etc..

- getting stuck with stock, not being able to return it to a manufacturer

- selling leftovers at cost or loss

Those are just ideas, but it's a pretty big undertaking. I'd love to do something like this, but it's a lot of money and effort. I think it's worth looking into tho.

I can't remember but when I picked up my first "Paint-a-ble" boot, I got them from "Men's Work Wear World", near me. The boot was black but other then a small "lip" on the toe, very close to the TK boot. I did them up for TD armor, and got my Caboot's at the same time. The paint up boot's had a company tag with info on it. AND a web site. They made mostly riding boot's and work type boot's. They did do a woman's type of boot that was very close to tk type. But I just can't remember the name or find that #@$% tag! I'll keep looking for it and if I find it will ask about what they can and can't make.

post-7273-1254427899_thumb.png

How does this look?

They look great- where are you going with this?

I think that what I have suggested is viable it is just a case of making a manufacturer see it.

post-7273-1254427899_thumb.png

How does this look?

They look better than caboots to me!

'IF' anyone is able to get a boot manufacturer to make custom trooper boots then I would be happy to supply a pair of original brand boots to duplicate, as long as they are returned in the same condition they were received.

Originalboots.jpg