RoTJ Ab Plate buttons

I've been researching this both in the FISD boards and elsewhere on the internet. However, I haven't found a definite answer on this...

What is the button color pattern for the RoTJ ab plate? ie. which ones are black and which ones are dark blue? For that matter, what dark blue is used?

From the EIB requirements...

*Ab plate will be be 3 dark blue and the rest black, unlike the ANH/ESB coloration.

And yes, I know that the ab plate buttons are upside-down when compared to the ANH ones.

Thanks, in advance, for your response.

From all my research when I was putting my ab plate together it goes, from the bottom up:

Blue, Blue, Black, Black, Black.

Then on the side with only 4 of them, bottom to top it goes:

Blue, Black, Black, Black.

This I finally figured on from PM's with Bernard (the only EIB ROTJ I believe) who was in email contact with John who owns and ROTJ suit.

From all my frame-by-framing ROTJ, I could never come up with anything definitive that you could actually "see" in the movie. Most ROTJ TK's wear their belt so high it covers the bottom 2 buttons on the Ab middle and the bottom button on the "4" buttons.

So all you see in the movie is the black buttons.

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks a lot! That is actually a tremendous help. I've been straining my eyes looking at photos of RoTJ suits and I could only definitively identify one dark blue button though I knew that there were more.

I appreciate your response and again, I thank you. That elusive detail was a touch irritating and I'm relieved to both have an answer and to have the information available to other RoTJ troopers.

I've read through the thread on your RoTJ armor a couple of times and I have saved some of the pictures for reference. If you're using VaderDave buttons did you have to paint the dark blue ones yourself?

I've thought about buying those buttons but I remember reading VaderDave's description where he says that his RoTJ buttons are all black. That's why I've hesitated on the purchase.

I'm still finalizing the logistics of a snap system for the AP kit my wife and I are preparing to buy. I'm thinking of using a few white metal side-release buckles for holding up the thighs and for the main suspenders holding the ab and lower back pieces, using heavy duty snaps for most of the other pieces, and a little bit of Industrial strength Velcro to hold the shoulder straps in place (as decoration not as support).

Thanks August/TM - this is a great detail to have ironed out (I'm abashed we didn't before), and will update the EIB standards as well as the CRL.

The outside shot of John's armour shows the blue buttons a bit clearer

and the bright sun light also gives the black ones a greyish tone which

could confuse a few people :blink::D

big.jpg

:)

I've read through the thread on your RoTJ armor a couple of times and I have saved some of the pictures for reference. If you're using VaderDave buttons did you have to paint the dark blue ones yourself?

I've thought about buying those buttons but I remember reading VaderDave's description where he says that his RoTJ buttons are all black. That's why I've hesitated on the purchase.

I had VaderDave paint the 3 buttons blue for me. Just worked it out with him through email. They couldn't be easier to put on the ab plate.

Those photos were the main photos I was looking at. The shadowing makes it seem different than it actually is. The outdoor photo is a bit easier to see the colors. Better, I got verification from Bernard who was corresponding with John who actually has the suit to find out what the colors are and where.

You almost need to see an actual ROTJ suit as I haven't found a single frame in the entire DVD that I could definitively see the color of the bottom buttons.

• 5 years later...

I believe the ROTJ buttons are all grey after better images of armour have appeared recently. The photos posted above are of a ESB MKII suit made prior to ROTJ.

Are you possibly talking Humbrol no 5 Grey for the Buttons?

Can you post some of the pictures to show the grey buttons.

• 2 months later...

Museum lighting can be a little dim to create atmosphere, but these look pretty dark grey & blue to me. Perhaps there were several combinations of colours used. Like if some painters had different cans of paint. Because not all armours are painted by the same person.

The tour suits are pretty much all black though.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/62-power-of-costume-rotj/

gallery_12157_62_31055.jpg

I have looked thru the battle scenes on Endor in slow motion, looking for a good shoot of buttons, but there are very few. One trooper looks like he has only blue buttons, one like he has all gray like the one i the picture troopermaster posted. Some look very dark/black. A lot of the stunt guys have no color at all on the buttons. A few of the scenes are mirrored, whitch makes everything look weird.

I guess I'll paint them like the crl is saying. It's an easy fix to repaint then if it changes ;)