Steve's TK Commander Build - Pics[*FX]

I have begun my TK Commander build and I am going to shoot for EIB status on this.

Granted it is from an FX kit so it won't be perfect, and it has presented some challenges.

For example, I now need to find someone who can sell me the following:

1. Replacement ears for my MRCE

2. AB Button plate so that I can reverse it ROTJ style.

Things left to complete:

1. Chest painting

2. AB paint - may wait to find a replacement AB Button plate

3. Back painting

4. MRCE tear down, full mod, ears, 4th tooth, all teeth widening, mesh behind teeth, brow, decals and final Commander paint job.

5. Oh yes and I still need boots.

I used 3 coats of plastic bonding paint from Lowe's before I battle damaged the paint.

Onto the build progress

Bells, Knee amo, Thigh and calf together.

2009-08-11190019.jpg

Bells

2009-08-11190138.jpg

Thigh

2009-08-11190411.jpg

2009-08-11190406.jpg

2009-08-11190421.jpg

2009-08-11190427.jpg

2009-08-11190432.jpg

2009-08-11190357.jpg

Knee amo

2009-08-11190103.jpg

Calf

2009-08-11190330.jpg

2009-08-11190229.jpg

2009-08-11190319.jpg

2009-08-11190244.jpg

2009-08-11190205.jpg

Later today I will finish my biceps and begin the chest and back.

I have already started my MRCE tear down (it is a LOT more work then I thought it would be).

wow! nice shoes! are those 501s imperial accademy aproved for a commander?? LOL

no man, seriously, the scuffing looks great except for a couple that look very home made in the upper leg.

I would suggest that you remove a bit of the blue scuffing from the white stripes, other than that man... looks great! can{t wait to see the rest of it!

Anything is more confortable than tk boots! both pairs I've had killed my feet after a few hours!! on C4 i almost had to have my friend drag me out to the car 'cause i just couldn't feel my feet!

What are you talking about? Mark Cheng TK boots are super comfy. Heck, even the johdpur boots I have are great. Just like regular shoes.

What happened to your MRCE ears that requires you to get replacements?

At first when I posted this, but as of last night when I was removing the ears to make them smaller.... I accidentally drilled straight through the right ear : (

But that is ok because i wanted to put different ears on it anyway.

Off to a good start. Contact John Danter on here about ears for your MRCE.

Chuck Taylor's really are the most comfortable shoes when you aren't wearing your TK boots. :)

I have already contacted John Danter, he is on holiday for a few weeks and can help me out when he gets back.

Now I just need to find someone who can sell me a new AB Button plate so I can turn it upside down.

And in regards to Chuck Taylors, they are the only thing I wear, if I could I would get white on white High Tops and wear that with my TK lolz.

Awesome weathering! Get a little dirt on there too (just a smidge) to offset the blue and white. :D

I agree, now I just need to find a good How To weathering so I can do that right.

At first when I posted this, but as of last night when I was removing the ears to make them smaller.... I accidentally drilled straight through the right ear : (

And that is exactly why I can't bring myself to mod my MRCE ears; too many horror stories vs. success stories when doing the mod.

And that is exactly why I can't bring myself to mod my MRCE ears; too many horror stories vs. success stories when doing the mod.

Well this time it was some seriously lame human error, I wasn't looking while I was drilling away because someone asked me a question and I didn't stop drilling when I looked up to respond, ha ha. OTher then that if you do it right, it is very easy.

That and after doing as much research as I have, I don't like the MRCE ears at all anymore haha.

As promised I have updates.

It is coming a long bit by bit.

Now keep in mind that this is pre weathering, just the paint has been applied and scratched, weathering on the whole suit will be done once I get my blue on.

2009-08-14192350.jpg

2009-08-14190245.jpg

2009-08-14192341.jpg

2009-08-14194129.jpg

2009-08-14194119.jpg

2009-08-14194138.jpg

Now before I continue, the stripes on the arms are thicker then depicted in my photoshopped post depicting the accurate Commander paint job, reason being is that my reference shots are actually slightly wrong in regards to the thickness of the stripes on the arms. Below is a shot showing that the thickness of the stripes on the arms seem to be in direct relation to the stripes on the chest and back piece.

2009-08-11184238.jpg

2009-08-14210944.jpg

2009-08-14211101.jpg

2009-08-14211156.jpg

Up next, the chest and back pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking good there Steve, how did you find the MRCE to paint?

I remember when I did mine, paint would no take to it very well compared to the rest of the armour.

Actually I used Valspar Plastic paint that I got from Home Depot.

The first coat definintely didn't look like it was going to hold but I waited 10 mins before a second and then 15 for a 3rd and let it sit over night, worked like a charm.

Now I have to figure out how to weather my armor, if you have any tips.

There are two main ways to do this - you can use the BraksBuddy method which is essentially using tempura (Woodland Scenics) or water based paint. Others use acrylics which are more permanent but also less forgiving.

We'll have to create some weathering tuts here on FISD or else ask to copy some from MEPD.

Actually I used Valspar Plastic paint that I got from Home Depot.

The first coat definintely didn't look like it was going to hold but I waited 10 mins before a second and then 15 for a 3rd and let it sit over night, worked like a charm.

Now I have to figure out how to weather my armor, if you have any tips.

I'll take some close up pics of my armour and what I used to weather it, when I get a chance I'll post them up.

I have fixed the chest plate.

All that is left for painting is the back piece, boots and I am waiting for a replacement ab button plate and ears from AP, then the AB will be painted and I will be SOOOO close to ready to register for a TK, be a commander and shoot for elite once I have my ROTJ edges and weathering down.

100_3304.jpg

• 5 months later...