symetrical helmet

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie with a newbie question. I've decided to go for a AP set of armour as I think thats best for my build but, and please nobody blast me for this, I'm not too keen on the right eye not being as perfect as the left. I can almost hear a collective shocked intake of breath. I know this is more movie accurate but I would like it look the same. Can the bump be removed somehow or if not whats the next best helmet?

All screen accurate helmets are asymmetrical, as all of them come from direct casts of screen used helmets. As you probably know, there was no CAD in the 70's so it was all done by hand, hence the asymmetrical nature of the helmets. Most modern fan-made helmets are made taking the asymmetry into acount.

SDS, AP, TE2, Gino, TM and even RT-MOD are asymmetrical.

Maybe the MRCE?

You'll have to modify it a little, but I think it's a symmetrical helmet.

I'm no expert, so wait for other people with better knowledge to answer.

Edit: if it's only the bump on the eye, maybe the TM is a good option. SDS, AP, TE2 and Gino have the bump, as all come from screen used helmets.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie with a newbie question. I've decided to go for a AP set of armour as I think thats best for my build but, and please nobody blast me for this, I'm not too keen on the right eye not being as perfect as the left. I can almost hear a collective shocked intake of breath. I know this is more movie accurate but I would like it look the same. Can the bump be removed somehow or if not whats the next best helmet?

I agree, I don't like the bump on the eye either. I got the MRCE and the eyes look great, although it has some other issues that make it not as screen accurate (big ears, small frown, low brow).

If you dont like the look of the eyes on the AP you can trim them out a little more and maybe use a heat gun on the eye bump to get rid of it. It seems to be a little more bumpy than the other helmets out there.

agreed the hero fromn and low brow is blehh... yes mrce is symetrical but the frown looks goofy and the weird chin piece etc... but thats just me i think imperfection is perfect

Ok, here are my true thoughts on this topic of 'screen accurate': I think that those of us who are educated enough on the matter know and understand the little things like the bump on the eye. But when you go trooping, aside from the other people in your garrison and the people here on the boards, the average joe is most likely gonna look at the bump on the eye and think your helmet is off, or that it's the cheap version or something along those lines.

For me, I just wanna put on the armor, go out and mingle with people and 'wow' them with the coolness of the costume. I like the symmetrical look as it is the idealized version. Since screen accuracy isn't that high on my priority list, I'm guessing the average joe isn't gonna care either. And since I'm doing this for fun, as long as it looks awesome in general, then I'm good to go.

Back again with a bit more time. Can anyone PM me with info on where to get hold of AP armour and the mrce helmet. However am I going to have a different white balance if I mix different firms armour. Seen a few photos where the helmet is a different shade of white than the rest of the suit, sorry for sounding fussy but I gotta get it right.

Back again with a bit more time. Can anyone PM me with info on where to get hold of AP armour and the mrce helmet. However am I going to have a different white balance if I mix different firms armour. Seen a few photos where the helmet is a different shade of white than the rest of the suit, sorry for sounding fussy but I gotta get it right.

Mark, lol no worries about being fussy.... If the armor is off on color, you will need to paint it. When you Frankenstein pieces together, you are going to end up with somethings glossier than others. Take your time on the build and paint all the items with the same paint and it will match wonderfully.

An MRCE can be painted to nearly match ABS plastic. But personally if I was going to get such accurate armor as AP I would get an accurate helmet as well. I bought an MR CE liking it a lot at first as a newbie, but the more I am on this forum and see accurate helmets, the less I like my MR CE. So I am going to have to mod it now ;)

There you have it:

If you know what you're doing, you can use a modelling iron to get rid of the eye bump.

Or you can buy an MRCE, mod it and paint it.

It's all up to you to decide which path you want to take.

Personally, I'd try to mod the AP first, as trying to match two different pieces of armor and helmet could be very complicated (and also modding the helmets to meet the requirements.)

I have a different view than Ryan, I believe most people won't notice the bump or the asymmetry. I think that people just look at the armor as a whole, and don't see most details. They see a white, impressive stormtrooper right there, in front of them, and that it's just cool! :lol:

And those educated enough to notice the bump will know that it's because it's a screen accurate armor. The main person noticing the bump will be yourself.

But I think it will be worse with two different pieces coming from two different makers. You'll need a lot of work to make them match.

I think that when you build your AP you'll find out that the bump is the lesser of its problems, as it's a funky warped piece of plastic! :lol:

So, it's up to you to decide.

I PMed you earlier did you not get it?

Yes I did thank you, just didn't notice my message box. Im also a newbie at forums. Sent you message back saying thank you for your time and effort in helping a recruit to get on the first rung of the ladder. I'II say it again, you are a star.

I PMed you earlier did you not get it?

You can also just post the link - it's not like it's secret info :)

Just a quick update, I've sent an e-mail to AP and got a speedy reply, so my wallet feels quite a bit lighter.

:lol:

It sounds familiar... :rolleyes: