ANH EIB Handguard Requirement?

Hi everyone,

I held off posting this before because it looks like I have an ulterior motive by suggesting what I'm about to suggest ;)

....but since there are 3 different producers of rubber ANH handguards now, isn't it time that rubber handguards became an Elite Infantryman requirement for ANH Stunt / Hero costumes?

I started off making latex handguards for my own ANH replica armour since vac-formed plastic handguards have ALWAYS bugged me on ANH Stormtrooper costumes.... even on my first Armor F/X suit waaay back in '99

We all know that the ANH movie originals were made from rubber / latex, and since the Elite Infantryman requirements cover other aspects like a riveted holster, no gaps between the front and back ab-armour and a Henglster counter required on ANH blasters.... isn't it time that rubber handguards became a requirement too? B)

Oh, and R2Dan and troopermaster make excellent latex handguards as well as lil' ole' me..... :P

What does everyone think?

Cheers,

John

As far as i know...... ABS, HIPS, RUBBER,Latex and similares are okay as long as they look like what they are supose to.

I'm certainly open to it at some point in the future. Right now I'm trying to keep the standards as-is until we hit a bunch more troopers. Yes, we're up to 65 EIB but that's far less than the 120 MEPD was at when they upped their standards, and as a percentage of the Legion way way behind. I think 1/3 of the Legion sandtroopers were deployed before the standards were upped.

I'd prefer to focus on getting more of the existing Legion members to EIB with the standards as-is. For instance, I've seen a lot of guys 80-90% of the way there. What is keeping them going the other 10%?

I love the rubber handplates and would support this proposal and I recognise that it would take a bit of getting used to for some people. I get funny looks from fellow troopers including my two fellow IEs for the latex handplates. Colin, Mark, I've seen those looks. :lol: :lol: :lol: As Paul has said in the past, EIB at this time, is not supposed to be uber movie accurate, it's a better depiction of a specific movie type stormtrooper than is currently required in the 501st/[insert local garrison here].

I'd prefer to focus on getting more of the existing Legion members to EIB with the standards as-is. For instance, I've seen a lot of guys 80-90% of the way there. What is keeping them going the other 10%?
I'd agree and I have discovered a small amount of resistance and even ill-informed mockery of what we do here. I am correcting this attitude through better information wherever I come into contact with it, as I believe this is the mission for all EIB troopers.

Promotion, not evangelising of the standard.

Explanation of what we do and the reason we're proud of what we achieve.

Correction, through better information, of ill-informed negative attitudes towards EIB.

Well said Aaron! "Troopers helping troopers" needs to be more than a slogan. If people are having questions or need help, usually a little effort on our part and some genuine enthusiasm in giving them a hand achieves far more than any amount of guilt/brow-beating.

Going EIB should be a positive experience.

Also have to agree with Aaron's comments :)

I love 'ULTRA ACCURATE' stuff B) , but I wouldn't have the rubber / latex hand guards

set as a standard at this time. I would definitely have it as a recomended option

for those who wish to aim for a more screen accurate look.

As Aaron said, people have a misconceived idea of what the EIB (old Elite) programe

is all about. And I think the true essence will only be communicated successfully through

talking and showing people what the true intentions of it are. :)

I was on a troop the other week and some of our crew members were asking me some

questions about my armour, "why the elastic bands on the straps?",..."why hasn't

your holster got loops?",....."doesn't your hands sweat in those rubber gloves?"....

"why didn't you use stickers on your helmet?, are the lines meant to be like that?".

After answering and explaining all the different reasons I could see excitment and

satisfaction on some their faces and a glint of acknowledgement that they'd discovered

something new,.....and they liked it :)

-----------------

It's not just a slogan, its our ethos :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Ha people like to point out all the time that my holster is on the wrong side and that it shoud be rivited to the belt...

Then i tell them i am an ESB trooper!!

Ps i always wear rubber gloves and the latex handplates (when anh) whilst trooping, there great :D

pps i will have to look at your gear again Billy as it looked rather prestine to me, not nearly enough scuff marks or scrathes :P

Ha people like to point out all the time that my holster is on the wrong side and that it shoud be rivited to the belt...

Then i tell them i am an ESB trooper!!

Ps i always wear rubber gloves and the latex handplates (when anh) whilst trooping, there great :D

pps i will have to look at your gear again Billy as it looked rather prestine to me, not nearly enough scuff marks or scrathes :P

:D

Mark

I found a nice scratch on it after O2 and resisted the temptation to polish it out :P

( :rolleyes: boy!, was that a tough thing to do)

You're right mate, it does need a bit of the 'shine' knocked off it to look more like

an on screen suit, but its hard not to want to keep a TM looking its best :unsure:

But I am trying to let it weather its self naturally and you'll be happy to know that

I stopped cleaning and polishing it ages ago......Honest! :P:D

I had a similar situation when I trooped in Hawai'i. Not everyone wanted to tweak, but for those that did they were pretty excited that there was actually stuff they could do. I think many troopers don't even know where here.

I think this is why the work Aaron is spearheading is so crucial - it's far easier to read through a static site than a forums.

Next time billy i shall try to push you down the stairs!! in a nice way :D

If anyone has ever seen me de-kit i throw my gear all over the floor, and do not reach for the mr sheen :duim:

Is there a way to attach rubber hand plates to gloves other than rubber ones?

I like my ABS hand guards, but they are oversized and many times people shake my hand it ends up coming off.

Manny

I can't see any reason why you can't fix the rubber / latex guards to other type gloves

other than rubber ones. They are only glued on to the backs so as long as you use an

appropriate glue for the gloves that you're using you should be OK :duim:

For fixing your ABS ones you may want to try one of TM's methods B)

To attach plastic hand plates to rubber chemical gloves so they look glued on like the originals, I glue a strip of plastic with two male snaps attached inside the hand plates. Then, I take a piece of thick leather (or plastic will do) and make a shape roughly the same as the hand plate and attach two female snaps that correspond with the male snaps inside the hand plate. Mark out the snaps on the back of the glove by rubbing some white chalk on the snaps and then place on the glove which will leave two marks to make your slits for the female snaps to come through. Now, place you leather (or plastic) plate inside and force your female snaps through. This can get tricky as you only want to make small slits in the gloves so they grip the edges of the snaps. Once they are through you simply snpa the plates on and your done

That might sound like a lot of work but it isn't, and the results are much better than having a couple of strips of elastic holding the plates on.

HANDS1.jpg

Paul

Hope you don't mind me posting up this info? :mellow:

Manny

I hope this helps mate :)

Thanks for posting that! My elastic-secured ABS handguards are always sliding out of place, it looks like I've just found the solution. :duim:

Thanks for posting that! My elastic-secured ABS handguards are always sliding out of place, it looks like I've just found the solution. :duim:

Brian

They work just great mate, I've never had a problem with 'em popping or anything. :)

Here's mine in action B)

HandGuards1.jpg

:)

Brian

They work just great mate, I've never had a problem with 'em popping or anything. :)

Here's mine in action B)

HandGuards1.jpg

AAAaaaahhh, two sweet TM suits....... ;)

• 2 months later...

My only problem if they made this change would be that I would have to use another type of rubber than latex. If there is any chance of my wife or someone else that is allergic to latex coming in contact with my hand guard and reacting to it, then it is a no go for me. I know it would have to be painted to match my suit, but I'm not sure that would be enough protection for someone with a severe latex allergy?

My only problem if they made this change would be that I would have to use another type of rubber than latex. If there is any chance of my wife or someone else that is allergic to latex coming in contact with my hand guard and reacting to it, then it is a no go for me. I know it would have to be painted to match my suit, but I'm not sure that would be enough protection for someone with a severe latex allergy?

I kind of have to agree here, some people are extremely allergic to latex and just wouldn't be able to use them.

Perhaps there could be some sort of exception to troopers who are allergic to latex?

Also, out of curiosity, how many latex handplate suppliers are there?

Brian

Here's mine in action B)

HandGuards1.jpg

Billy is that me to your left? I haven't seen this one- it is the Movium troop I presume.