Working with ABS Plastic

Greetings gang,

I'm just throwing this out to my fellow stormtroopers for some advice:

The majority here knows that I've been working exclusively with HIPS plastic the last few years. I recently purchased CT Armor from Kevin@OSCS for a 501st clonetrooper.

I wanted to hear from y'all on the best way to cut & trim ABS plastic. Thanks to all.

Aloha,

T :salute:

For fast, easy, non-precision cuts I use tin snips. For detailed work, I prefer the score/snap method using a hobby knife. I prefer not to use the dremel, as I've found it tends to melt the ABS.

Dremel does melt the plastic and makes it stink, but you can use it to get the rough cuts out of the way. I have gotten good enough with a dremel to trim the armor where I want to, and then simply sand off the edges.

I don't recommend it though.

If you use the "cutting blade" it can and will break in use and spread out like shrapnel

I normally use the abrasive stones with a point on it.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

on my FX - I used scissors

recently on some AP armour, i started with dremelling - but wasnt happy with it

moved to a combination of score/sna[, tin snips and those small plastic cruved scissors for cutting plastic as recommended by stukatrooper:

like these----------

having said all that - Kevins CT armour is really thick 0.125 ABS IIRC

good luck tony!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Score and snap. Thats THE way. Its fast and painless. ABS is very strong and will just pop at the score line. Take your time and make your scores deliberate and clean. Dont cut too hard. Score lightly and do the same line a few times. Make all your scores so that they have no sharp angles (no corners) if you can help it. Thats always worked for me. I tried a dremel saw and scissors but they are overkill and actually make the work harder I think.

It's hard to use score'n'snap on some parts like the lower legs, due to the curvature. Having put about 4 of these kits together, I've found the best way is draw your line, cut with tin snips as best you can along the line, and then sand with 80 grit on the orbital. Your going to cover it with bondo or whatever to go seamless any way.

We're in this together, T! :) I also have OSCS armor that I'm working on turning into a 327th Star Corps CT.

I actually used a combination of using snips and the score-and-snap method, depending on the pieces being trimmed. The snips are especially nice for working around curves or for when the trim lines aren't well-defined. I also used both a Dremel sanding bit and regular sandpaper to clean up the edges to the trim lines.

T - I have Kev's armor. Snips on the curve parts, but highly recommend snap/score wherever possible since his armor is so thick.

Thanks guys for your insights.

It appears that I've done all of the above and most of you have already confirmed what I've discovered on my own journey.

In my early footsteps I attempted to use a DREMEL tool with less than spectacular results - the plastic often times melted as it came off the piece I was working on.

Using a sharp XACTO knife came next with the sliced fingers and thumbs to prove it.

I then discovered the modeling "scissors" used by R/C model builders with great success - on .090 gauge HIPS anyway. Combined with tin snips and "score & snap" I know that I'm not alone in what techniques I'm using.

Still, this ABS plastic (OSCS CT armor) is very intimidating so I'll have to get my courage up before I cut the first piece.

(Did I hear "armor party" at the Man Cave?)

Thanks again gang!

Using a sharp XACTO knife came next with the sliced fingers and thumbs to prove it.

Yep, I nearly sliced off a junk of my thumb early on in my build with the necessary but cursed Xacto.

The doctor at the hospital was a little weirded out by the deep and severity of my cut. While he stitched me up he asked several different times how this happened. I really wanted to tell him - dude like I really wanted to slice off each digit at two inch chunks at a time. But bit my lip so he wouldn't give me a sloppy scar...

We're in this together, T! :) I also have OSCS armor that I'm working on turning into a 327th Star Corps CT.

I actually used a combination of using snips and the score-and-snap method, depending on the pieces being trimmed. The snips are especially nice for working around curves or for when the trim lines aren't well-defined. I also used both a Dremel sanding bit and regular sandpaper to clean up the edges to the trim lines.

How far along are you bro?

I wanted to be finished by Halloween... :(

Have you tackled the "spoons" yet? That REALLY scares me. :mellow:

I have all the armor trimmed and cleaned up ready to begin assembly. I haven't gotten around to working on the calf "spoons" yet...I agree, that will probably be one of the most difficult parts of the whole suit to get right. I was nervous cutting the face off my helmet, but I think that was easy in comparison with the spoons... I think I'm going to enlist some help from a couple of garrison mates who have a lot of experience with clone armor to help me through the more difficult parts.

I hope to have my suit all done by the beginning of summer. I have just about everything else for a 327th - just need to buckle down and assemble/paint/weather the darn thing!

Good luck with your clone project, T - I know you'll do an awesome job. :)

It's really a matter of wanting to get it right the first time with as minimum a fuss as possible, which means I'll definitely be taking my time.

• 6 years later...