Cutting Tool

I didnt have to cut out my eyes on my FX helmet...but what I did for the frown was puncture a hole in the very center then file the rest away with a file till the desired square is acquired...I hope this helps :salute:

I use a dremmel to get the big stuff out of the way, then a file. A small round file works to get in the corners of the eyes. A sanding sponge is good for finish. As far as the frown goes, what 8280 did seems to be the best way. Go slow and have fun:)

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

• mark the center of the area you want to cut out and use a center punch.

• drill a small hole where you punched and incrementally drill larger holes until you have used the biggest bit you can safely use.

• use a dremel on low speed with a multi-cutting bit (allows you to cut side to side) to get as close to the corners as you can.

• use a hobby file set to square the edges off. A really sharp exacto knife is helpful to but be VERY careful.

-----

Go slow and be patient. It takes me a few hours to get a helmet frown cut out. But it is worth the time.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On the frown I got a grinding wheel on my Dremel, and from the inside i ground away at the bits of the frown that were raised up until the hole was about the right size then did the finer sanding with a file to tidy up the hole

I'm totally nervous of screwing it up. I'm in an apartment complex, and my neighbors are gonna love hearing me drilling at 2:00am :rolleyes:

I don't have a file yet. Do you think its safe to go ahead and start installing the intercom covers, or should I wait until I get the eyes, and frown cut out? Thanks for the pics Ruf Terrain!!!! OMG your a savior! I've been trying to find good pics of what it should look like. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm trying to get it ready by the St. Patricks Day parade, or at the very least before AdCon this June. I'll post progress pics.

Also, can someone post pics of how the armor should look? Maybe a walk through tutorial? Frost from Blizzard Force sent me a book, and its super helpful, but I wanna see some colored photos please. Thanks again all.

Hehe , I was cutting the frown teeth out of my bucket today ! I did pretty much what 8280 said , I drilled a couple of very small holes and filed away . Although it took a while , it's very hard to get out of control and do damage with a hobby file . Go to your local hobby store and buy yourself a set of files , they are really handy to have around :)

How about for cutting other parts? I am getting ready to seperate the butt cover from the lower back. What should I use? I have a cutting wheen and my Dremel, is that a good way to go?

Thanks,

Scott M.

Some people are good enough with an exacto blade that they can score & snap. I never seem to get that right so I use a dremel. At first I was bad at it, then I discovered the Diamond Cutoff wheel. It's been working very well for me. Check out:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php...=dremel+diamond

Hehe , I was cutting the frown teeth out of my bucket today ! I did pretty much what 8280 said , I drilled a couple of very small holes and filed away . Although it took a while , it's very hard to get out of control and do damage with a hobby file . Go to your local hobby store and buy yourself a set of files , they are really handy to have around :)

Thats why I did mine that way, to keep from going over board :unsure:

How about for cutting other parts? I am getting ready to seperate the butt cover from the lower back. What should I use? I have a cutting wheen and my Dremel, is that a good way to go?

Thanks,

Scott M.

Yeah, for my first time cutting I used a ghetto hack saw blade with one end taped up, those of you who have been on this forum for a while remember the pic's :D:lol::duim::salute::pint1: um, but now that I am working on my clone armor sets I use a pair of tin snips, and different grits of sand paper :)

Also Olfa makes the best hobby knives on the planet, well worth the price. If you have one they make a replacement blade that is a mini saw. It's very thin and crazy sharp. It cut the end off my hasbro blaster like a hot knife through butter.

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 years later...