Another cheap voice amp

Hey guys

I just recently bought a dead cheap voice amp on eBay, just to check out if it's any good for the Trooper use. I wasn't too convinced by the Halloween voice changer, but not yet ready to fork out enough for a ROMFX (I guess I will some day, but right now other things have priority).

Anyway, I stumbled across this voice amp on eBay for $10, and thought I'd give it a go. And well, I'm quite pleased with it!

Here's a short demo recording I made for you to judge for yourself:

-------

I added some padding to the mic, nothing else was altered.

If someone's interested now, here's the eBay link:

--------

Just wanted to share :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the volume pot is a BIG plus for this amp compared to the Halloween one. And it is much louder as well, if you want it to be that is :)

On the other hand, you're missing out on all the funny monster and alien voices... ;)

That is a totally awesome find Dan!

Youre right it does sound much better than the Halloween voice changer!

:duim: :duim:

I agree, obviously a nice unit for the price.

BUT, quality of voice transmission is not necessarily a good thing when attempting to sound like a storm trooper.

IMO, the low quality reproduction of a cheap voice changer amp, mimics the sound of a storm trooper better than any quality amp will.

just my 2c

My only complaint with the haloween voice changer is my voice is so deep that it has a hard time kicking in and drops out alot when I talk. If I purposely talk higher, it works fine.

Nice find Dan,

I came across these a month ago on ebay, in fact, there was a small lot going cheap, but I didn't buy them, I am regretting it now....

I modified a voice changer, which is ok, but, i will invest in one of these for my next helmet, and see if I can modify the amp box to make it smaller, and put in some hovi-mix speakers.

Thanks for sharing, the dude will probably be amazed a the influx of sales, and put the price up =)

I just ordered one of these since the price is seemingly so amazing (only $4 more than the WallyWorld voice changer... which I have and quite like the sound of). Thanks R2Dan for sharing! P.S. Do you know any "Struchtemeyers" (my last name) over in or around Herne? :D

I'm a newbie; almost finished with my first TK; and haven't been on any troops yet so I have zero experience "in the field". But what I'm confused about is how the WalMart voice changer and this most recent voice amp compares to the ROM/FX at £105.00, which I believe is $155. Does one simply have to hear each one to understand the significant price difference, or am I missing something else here? :blink: Thanks!

I just ordered one of these since the price is seemingly so amazing (only $4 more than the WallyWorld voice changer... which I have and quite like the sound of). Thanks R2Dan for sharing! P.S. Do you know any "Struchtemeyers" (my last name) over in or around Herne? :D

I'm a newbie; almost finished with my first TK; and haven't been on any troops yet so I have zero experience "in the field". But what I'm confused about is how the WalMart voice changer and this most recent voice amp compares to the ROM/FX at £105.00, which I believe is $155. Does one simply have to hear each one to understand the significant price difference, or am I missing something else here? :blink: Thanks!

The ROM/FX is pricey but it is a custom design board made for us Troopers. It adds static bursts at the end of your sentences when you talk into a microphone. It allows you to adjust several other things, but that's basically the main difference.

I have both the Walmart voice changer and a Hyperdyne unit. The Hyperdyne is a close contender to the ROM/FX as it does pretty much the same thing.

The Walmart voice changer is not bad for the price you pay, but no static burst.

Once you been in this hobby for a while, you'll find yourself wanting better gear or armor. B)

It helps you seem like a real stormtrooper that much more! ;)

The ROM/FX is pricey but it is a custom design board made for us Troopers. It adds static bursts at the end of your sentences when you talk into a microphone. It allows you to adjust several other things, but that's basically the main difference.

I have both the Walmart voice changer and a Hyperdyne unit. The Hyperdyne is a close contender to the ROM/FX as it does pretty much the same thing.

The Walmart voice changer is not bad for the price you pay, but no static burst.

Once you been in this hobby for a while, you'll find yourself wanting better gear or armor. B)

It helps you seem like a real stormtrooper that much more! ;)

Aha! Thanks Manny; that helps.

Has anyone tried this with Stomper's Hovis? I have been very happy with my WalMart Voice Changer, but I would love to have volume control and the 9v size would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered one of these and I got a wireless kit to go with it. I'll post up a tutorial in here on how to combine the two when they arrive so everybody can have a shot at making thiers wireless.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Mine came last week VERY QUICKLY (nice)... the volume is better/louder than the WalMart VC. I had to cut down the mic part to fit in my MRCE lid.

Smitty, can't wait to see what you can show us to make it wireless. Which wireless kit did you get to go with it?

P.S. It wasn't me who mentioned to the seller that I was buying for a costume. :) I hope it doesn't drive up the price.

I linked to a ebay auction so you can see what wireless kit I got on ebay. Its the same as the Bolun kit but provided by a USA distributor so I dont have to wait a virtual eternity while it ships from Hong Kong.