clarification - ABS-80 AP helmet story

hey guys - wantin to know if some people here can help explain some TK history to me.

from wot I gather GF is the origins of wot AP armor is now. And GF came off original armour.

I have been having some discussions with SuperTrooper and a TK aquintance abt the origins of wot he calls a GF ABS-80 lid which he bought from a guy in NY

now, this isnt gonna be for troopin, but like all of u guys warned me, I am gettin into collectin the helmets from history now (yeesh)

this is wot this acquitancde has told abt the lid:

made by GF, but during period where he wasnt officially makin em, and prior to acquisition of molds by AP (guess it WAS a murky time in that perior). Told it was GF ABS80. No signature inside.

by lookin at it - it looks... different to an AP to my newb eye (will post pics if I can get permission)

I know that AP made a few early pulls of a GF lid (ta for info Terrell); and was thinkin - it is more likely to be just an early AP pull isnt it? (btw Supertroop did say he saw it on offer on RPF as well)

for the moment - just wanting a history lesson for my own knowledge; not a poll on yes/no to buy or where to get a nice lid etc.

thanks

Nate

right time for some piccies and opinions

---------

obviously needs a few modes - darker lens, accurate hovi mikes, frown mesh

but this is more or less gonna be my collector lid

oh the other thing - never realised how small these SA lids are. they look big, but the hole to stick ur noggin in aint huge is it? I turn the lid 90 degree, slip it in and turn it the right way round.

cheers for input guys

Nate

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Nate

Nice helmet mate :)

It definitely leans more towards the GF look with the bulgy side tubes

Heres a quick shot of a GF Hero and when you put it next to a TE2 or AP

you really do notice the difference

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

It's not a GF, the dome is different. Everything about it looks AP, but the teeth look less prominent towards the end of the frown which suggest it is possibly an early vesrion.

*Note to brain*

Do not go on the internet after returning from works Christmas party and leave reviews

Alcoholic beverages may impair vision and brain functionality :blink:

Now where are those asprins?............

rofl thanks guys

its kinda consistent with the story I got with the lid

possibly slightly modded GF mold, before AP was offering kits per se - ie may be early AP or late GF, that murky time in TK history. Man I love this hobby!

well - I paid a AP kit price for it - which I thought was a fair enough. quite happy with quality, look tbh.

Nate

...oh the other thing - never realised how small these SA lids are. they look big, but the hole to stick ur noggin in aint huge is it?

The AP's are very small and not screen accurate. None of the replica armours or helmets are screen accurate, maybe screen cast derivatives, but definately not screen accurate. The term 'screen accurate' gets thrown around too casually for my liking. Put an AP helmet or armour next to a screen used piece, then you will notice just how different they actually are....Rant over :P

If you look at the photo Ghost has shown, you will notice that the GF helmet dome (shown from the front) tapers much more than it should. This is a classic tell-tale of the GF helmet.

The AP's are very small and not screen accurate. None of the replica armours or helmets are screen accurate, maybe screen cast derivatives, but definately not screen accurate. The term 'screen accurate' gets thrown around too casually for my liking. Put an AP helmet or armour next to a screen used piece, then you will notice just how different they actually are....Rant over :P

yes sir.

sorry sir.

I am still learning - honest I am sir. i can tell a don post now - i can i can!

:D

I guess SA is wrong terminology. "more SA than MR CE" I would have to say then, or like that term u used - screen cast.

it is still quite a nice lid though. or at least it looks it to my newb eye. pls tell me I havent way overpaid for a piece of crap-o-lah!

And talk abt small! yeesh - soome1 pls tell me they have the same problem, and not that I have a huge melon, giant-pumpkin sized head??

cheers for knowlegde upgrade paul and the rest, very much appreciated

Nate

And talk abt small! yeesh - soome1 pls tell me they have the same problem, and not that I have a huge melon, giant-pumpkin sized head??

I'm in the same boat as you. My FX is actually a good fit, my MRCE is tight and I can't wear my glasses in it. I have a garrison mate who has the same problem with his bucket (AP, I think), it's actually difficult for him to get the helmet on and off.

So, you're not the only melon headed trooper :lol:

found a good way round it - turn the lid 90 degrees; so the front is over my ears, mange to get it on comfortably, and rotate it back in the correct direction.

Nate

Actually that's how all ANH helmets go on. I think only the FX let's you not do this.

Actually that's how all ANH helmets go on. I think only the FX let's you not do this.

I can get my TE abs hero lid on without needing to use the screw top action.

Thats because of a combination really, the faceplate is angled out pretty far ala luke with a seriously low brow and the neck opening is trimed extra compaired with a stunt.

But all my other lids need to be rotated to get them on..