shimmery-green looking lenses

TK1491

Hey all!

I thought I'd share this little experiment with you all. For a while I've been pondering how to get a cool shimmery green looking effect on my lenses without sacrificing visibility (in or out).

After looking up all kinds of materials, acetates, vellums, iridium coated acrylics, etc, I ordered a football helmet eye shield insert in "mirror-green" off of ebay.

Check out the effect: At times you can't see any green at all--just black-- at other times theres a bright green highlight.

4pX3Hn3.jpg

84q1Or6.jpg

c0tSzh9.jpg

2RH3bfN.jpg

Pl8HgBh.jpg

QaZz5u6.jpg

Very nice, how much did that set you back? I was looking at those when I was looking for mirror lens for my TX but I couldnt find them locally to see if they were gonna be dark enuff

Visibility is excellent (it's a football eyeshield after all)! The tint is much like the lenses I currently use (welder's eyeshield): a slight green tint.

Smitty, I think the one I bought was $17 if I recall. Got it from a guy in Australia. The pic I used above is a Nike insert, but I actually ended up with an UnderArmor insert. And to clarify: the insert material is just an acetate sheet with the coating on one side.

I also tried putting the film right behind the existing lens in my helmet and looked at how the reflection looked from the outside. It looked really cool as you could juuuuust see the green shimmer when the light hit it. Problem was it was a double shade effect and it was too dark to see out of.

I think if i decide to permanently install it in a helmet, I'll probably use a clear acrylic in front of it to keep fingerprints off it.

I actually began the process by looking for a clear acetate with green iridium coating to place over my existing lenses but couldnt find a good one.

Anyhoo, it's just something I've been investigating. Every now and then I look at my gentle giant trooper bust and I see that little green tint in the eyes and think hey...I wonder if I could do that....?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Car window tint/solar film over regular green acetate (the one that comes with the AP, for example.)

That's what was recommended to me by my garrison. I should go to a car window tint place and ask for leftovers.