mistakenly bought recasted stuff

Heatshock

now, I am not wanting to kick off the old argument abt recasting etc as I know its a really hot topic

I am wanting to ask for opinions on a rather specific part of this thorny subject

prior to a proper introduction into the whitearmour land and other similiar prop sites; I had, like I am sure many others before me, bought a few recasted items with the belief that it was a 'geuine' article.

personally I have always thought that if you bought a product with PRIOR knowledge of its recasted nature, then its bad

... but if it was bought unknowingly, then its acceptable. Others might disagree with me on this.

but wot do u do with recasted stuff (bought in ignorance) now that I know better? i mean it was a genuine mistake, and I did spend hard earned money on it. can I troop in it with pride? troop in it and use it as an example to newbies of wot NOT to do?

At the moment - I am up front abt the origins of the few items of recasted products, I am dead embarassed by it (esp.ly with a experienced and more knowlegable troopers), but then go on to use it as a focal point with newbies to discuss why its not good to buy recasts and direct people to original makers.

opinions pls

Nate

I'm in much the same boat as you. I just got a full TD (my only costume) only to find out when I opened the box that it was a recast and a bad one at that. The details on the suit are as soft as a box of kittens. I gotta tell you, my heart sank when I saw it. Here I had to beg the wife for almost 3 years and explain that it was what I wanted to do for years before that. She finally agreed and then...whammo. After doing all my homework, I bought what I thought was a sandtrooper modified FX suit with an AP lid only to open it up and find an extremely poorly pulled recast.

I wanted the FX armor b/c at 6'2 230 lbs, I'm not a small man. But I wanted genuine FX with fairly crisp details (even if they aren't entirely screen accurate). I know I'm going to have to replace the thighs (you reading this Deckard? LOL) but the suit passed muster for 501st membership in another state. Hopefully, I can get in too with what I've got for now. I'm stuck with what I've got. There's no way I can afford another suit for several more years. I've worked it and made it passable and modified what was there to fit me. And you know what? The kids and fans that I want to do this for won't know the difference. But I do and others that are in the 501st will know it.

I'll tell you what I intend to do. As soon as the rest of my gear gets here (undersuit, pouches, new lenses), I'm going to suit up and apply for membership. The costume doesn't look that bad. People like us will be able to spot the flaws when closely inspected (I did a good job re-weathering it and made the soft details really "pop") but 99.9 % of people won't know the difference. I actually made the suit look pretty good considering. The T-21 and the backpack that came with it are awesome though.

As for the guy I bought it from, I don't think he knows or cares that it's recast. It just doesn't faze him one way or the other and I certainly don't think he was out to rip me or anyone else off. It just ain't his thing. And truthfully, it ain't the end of the world for me either. I look like a stormtrooper. Not just a guy in a halloween costume. I really look like a stormtrooper and will give a good impression. As long as I gain full 501st membership, I'll be happy. Maybe in a few years I can get a more accurate set (hopefully RT-Mod b/c of my size) and do a TK.

It's kind of a sucky position to be in but we're in it. Now I just have to play the hand I was dealt and go from here. :td:

No need to feel embarrassed, many have done it. If you are happy with the quality enjoy it, learn from your mistake, and count your blessings for getting something with some detail. If you are not happy with it, mod it to look as good as possible and sell it and recoup as much as you can, then buy the real deal.

Mistakes in any hobby can be costly, but live, learn, and educate others.

I ended up with a Scout helmet that turned out to be nothing more than a fiberglass recast of an unmodified Rubies. The maker will remain nameless, as he is no longer welcome round these here parts. I'm butchering it into an accurate original Storm Commando (not the black Scout), as it's useless as an actual Scout helmet. *heh*

I was a little miffed as the maker advertised it as an original sculpt, so my annoyance is more that it wasn't accurately represented than that it was a recast -- but it being recast was part of what annoyed me about the misrepresentation.

So, gonna do my best to make a silk purse out of it. :) But since I originally got it to give Jen something wearable until I got her an MLC, and I have since gotten her an MLC, it had no further purpose. I think if you inadvertently find yourself with a recast item, get a non-recast when you can, and see if you can think of something else to do with the sow's ear you ended up with.

--Jonah

I agree just make a silk purse out of a cows ear. The damage has been done - might as well make your suit looks good. Wear it until it falls apart, or when you do sell it just be honest. At least people will have a choice.

When life hands you lemons, you punch life in the face and steal his wallet.

It might take more work, but if you put the blood sweat and tears into putting it together, it'll be a piece of you. The parts might not come from the best source, but in the end thats really immaterial. Whats done is done, so you might as well work with what you've got.

Definitely agree with the above statements...I was fortunate to get a good pull of an FX but I paid an arm and a leg when I could have gotten something better cheaper...pass the lemonade...with some love and care I think you will learn more about actually working a costume than if you had gotten something you just throw together.