Hello from blisteringly hot Texas

Nastere

Hello everyone,

My name is Aa-ron, I'm freshly 42 years old, and I've wanted to be more than a consumer at conventions/events for many years but didn't know where to start. Coincidentally, I just made an online friend who is part of the 501st out of Florida and after hours of questions and conversation about it, I would say I'm very interested in being a part of it. I live in Texas but my parents live in Florida, so I could see myself attending events in both areas.

Anyways, I'm looking to put together either Sandtrooper or Magma trooper armor and carrying a DTL-19 or T-21.

I'm about 6'1 and float around 290-300lb so any advice for a big Texas boy would be great :)

I've already signed up on MEPD and look forward to learning more about all this.

Glad to meet you all.

Edited by Nastere
  • Like 3

Hi AA-ron, and welcome to FISD

Please check out our Vendor list including those to avoid

For the magma trooper you will need to join Spec Ops Detachment  https://specops501st.com/

You can also check out this resource although you will find there are several differences between the standard Stormtroopers and the Sandies.

These are the best resources to start on, as you learn and research for your new exciting projects.

There is every possibility you will need to modify some parts of any armour kit you purchase to get it to fit you just right, but traditionally one of the larger kits is the AM kit from Daves Darkside Depot.

Check him out on FaceBook as he has a online store.

There are several makers who also do longer leg pieces but generally most kits suit a trooper from 5'9" to 6'

https://www.facebook.com/100057527676820/about/

We are pretty active here compared to some detachment forums so feel free to ask plenty of questions.

Welcome once again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nastere said:

Coincidentally, I just made an online friend who is part of the 501st out of Florida and after hours of questions and conversation about it, I would say I'm very interested in being a part of it.

What a coincidence, my fresh-to-Florida self just answered hours of questions to some guy on... oh wait, hi Aaron :D I will be watching your progress with great interest! Always happy to have another Trooper join the ranks, in whatever detachment.

I'd second the AM armor that Andrew mentioned. Just be sure to tell him you're going the Sandie route so he can include the appropriate ab buttons, knee plate, etc.

Whereabouts in TX are you? To me, "blistering hot" must indicate Houston or somewhere else in the south. I have family in San Antonio and always love visiting them.

11 minutes ago, Laurenanya said:

I can vouche that Texas (Houston) is indeed miserably hot right now and we desperately need some rain. Feels strange to say that.

Hello from another Texan who’s brand new here!

I grew up in Amarillo, in the panhandle. So closer to Colorado (heck maybe even Wyoming) than Houston. We used to get more snow there than where I now live in north Georgia. :laugh1:

On 8/15/2023 at 9:16 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

I'd second the AM armor that Andrew mentioned. Just be sure to tell him you're going the Sandie route so he can include the appropriate ab buttons, knee plate, etc.

Whereabouts in TX are you? To me, "blistering hot" must indicate Houston or somewhere else in the south. I have family in San Antonio and always love visiting them.

I roam between Corsicana and Tyler lol

Does anyone have any contacts in the Star Garrison, MEPD or the on the main 501st website? I'm not getting any responses from them for days after registering on their sites.

Whitearmor seems to be the most active.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:51 AM, Sly11 said:

There is every possibility you will need to modify some parts of any armour kit you purchase to get it to fit you just right, but traditionally one of the larger kits is the AM kit from Daves Darkside Depot.

Check him out on FaceBook as he has a online store.

There are several makers who also do longer leg pieces but generally most kits suit a trooper from 5'9" to 6'

https://www.facebook.com/100057527676820/about/

We are pretty active here compared to some detachment forums so feel free to ask plenty of questions.

Welcome once again.

Appreciate all the links and suggestions. I've definitely made use of them. I hit up Dave and am awaiting a response currently. I also reached out to Walt but he also directed me to Dave so sounds like the right track.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, Nastere said:

I roam between Corsicana and Tyler lol

Does anyone have any contacts in the Star Garrison, MEPD or the on the main 501st website? I'm not getting any responses from them for days after registering on their sites.

Whitearmor seems to be the most active.

Hello Aa-ron,

I also have had no reply from the star garrison. However it’s a lifestyle, I’ve been away for almost a decade.  It’s difficult at times with life, bills and family.

I’m located in Lake Jackson TX.

Although Texas is a big state and your in the area I’ll be happy to be off assistance.