1st Build - TK - DTKC -Build Thread

DTKC

The biggest challenge of this build, for me, is painting.  I am fortunate that my kit came with decals for the helmet.  But I still had to get right above the ears and the vocoder.  My eyes are old and I don't have a steady hand anymore.  So I had to get the Mrs to help me.  Her hand isn't so steady anymore, either.  I did notice that my brush was crap and will be heading to the store first thing in the morning to get a better brush.  

Tonight's tip:  make sure you have mineral spirits on hand.  Boy, that stuff works miracles.  

Second tip: a bowl or a strainer works great to hold your helmet for you.  

I will post tomorrow the final painting result.

li4mJcD.jpg

Much like you I have the same issues, a couple of things which may help, make an outline with pencil as a guide and if any of your thin lines need a tidy up try a permanent marker, you can have a little more control with a marker ;) 

Helmet almost complete.  Going to see if I can get the top of the right eye a little more flush.  My paint on the vocoder is ok.  But the best I can do.   I may try to touch up the stripe on the ears.  And I have some general clean up to do.  But going to try and get the electronic all wired up and call the helmet complete today.  

Tip:  as others have said, buy a brush with a ROUND tip.  And don't buy cheap brushes.  And when I say that, I mean the four brushes in a pack for $5.00 (USD).  You are better off having one $10 brush with a round tip that is good, than a bunch of cheap brushes.  Ask me how I know.  

Tip #2: I tried using the Sugru adhesive, but that did not work for me, doing the lens.  It did not stick to the inside of the helmet, especially after I used Flex Seal on the inside.  I will be using epoxy putty, as others have used.  

Hoping it will get me to level 3, I think it looks great.  I keep just staring at it.  lol 

nCjUeQV.jpg

lku5HBt.jpg

0c0gTTY.jpg

6 hours ago, DTKC said:

Helmet almost complete.  Going to see if I can get the top of the right eye a little more flush.  My paint on the vocoder is ok.  But the best I can do.   I may try to touch up the stripe on the ears.  And I have some general clean up to do.  But going to try and get the electronic all wired up and call the helmet complete today.  

Tip:  as others have said, buy a brush with a ROUND tip.  And don't buy cheap brushes.  And when I say that, I mean the four brushes in a pack for $5.00 (USD).  You are better off having one $10 brush with a round tip that is good, than a bunch of cheap brushes.  Ask me how I know.  

Tip #2: I tried using the Sugru adhesive, but that did not work for me, doing the lens.  It did not stick to the inside of the helmet, especially after I used Flex Seal on the inside.  I will be using epoxy putty, as others have used.  

Hoping it will get me to level 3, I think it looks great.  I keep just staring at it.  lol 

nCjUeQV.jpg

lku5HBt.jpg

0c0gTTY.jpg

That looks amazing! Speaking of paints, where'd you get yours/what kind are you using? I know what I want and can probably get it off of along or something but knowing what other people use is useful just in case.

2 minutes ago, Scout_Troop3R said:

That looks amazing! Speaking of paints, where'd you get yours/what kind are you using? I know what I want and can probably get it off of along or something but knowing what other people use is useful just in case.

Thanks!  I just followed the supply list that was published.  I was able to get all the exact paints.  My kits also came with stickers for the frown, tears and the back.  I really only had to paint the vocoder, the ears, and the screws.  Vocoder was a pain in the butt.  I am not a painter.  Get a good rounded brush!

2 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Making good progress Dale, the helmet has come together very nicely.

Thank you! I am ready to have the helmet done.  But then I realized my big head would not fit with all the electronics.  I will figure that out later.  

23 hours ago, DTKC said:

nCjUeQV.jpg

lku5HBt.jpg

0c0gTTY.jpg

Hi Dale, the helmet is looking nice.  Sometimes taking photos too close causes a "fish eye " distortion that can affect even a basic review for approval.

I would suggest to take the front and side photos from at least 8 feet away to have a better view of the tube strips and the Helmet in general.

Reference

3XyeW1k.jpg

By the other hand, for basic level:  "Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area..."

Yours looks perfect in the lower section but will need to remove a little paint from the top.  You could try with a toothpick and some, (non Acetone), paint thinner.

OWJLiJ1.jpg

References

CJhfaii.jpg?1

Keep it up :jc_doublethumbup:

7 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

I would suggest to take the front and side photos from at least 8 feet away to have a better view of the tube strips and the Helmet in general.

OWJLiJ1.jpg

@TKSpartan thanks for the suggestions!  You don't think I would get approval as is?  Those are decals and I would need to get a another set.  

3 minutes ago, DTKC said:

You don't think I would get approval as is?  Those are decals and I would need to get a another set.  

The basic approval is all up to  your GML , you may want to check with him/her  in advance . 

I wondered how you might handle those teeth decals. Follow Mario's advice and check with our GML. If they pass, great! If not, I can't help but wonder if you could take a hobby blade to them to carefully slice off the excess. That, or just remove them completely and go the enamel paint route. Either way, you can do it!

hace 2 horas, DTKC dijo:

To be honest @MaskedVengeance, I would probably just get the decals again and not hassle with the paint.  Especially after the vocoder that was a frustrating experience, lol. 

Hi Dale. Your helmet looks great!:jc_doublethumbup:. A couple of fixes and that's it!

Don't be afraid and "go the enamel painting route":lol:.  Teeth are the easiest area to paint, I promise (I'm not very good at it, and the result was better than I expected).

The vocoder looks great, although I would try to "define" its ridges(he arches on each tube) a little more, so that the result would be SPECTACULAR. Don't worry, we all know that in photos, " imperfections" are more noticeable. You can see things that you can't see with the naked eye.

Keep up the good work!:jc_doublethumbup:

Reference images

Wq9tBqD.png      XsO2cGX.jpg   r9ZiSi0.jpg   Hbg4B5K.jpg

47 minutes ago, Chemi said:

Hi Dale. Your helmet looks great!:jc_doublethumbup:. A couple of fixes and that's it!

Don't be afraid and "go the enamel painting route":lol:.  Teeth are the easiest area to paint, I promise (I'm not very good at it, and the result was better than I expected).

The vocoder looks great, although I would try to "define" its ridges(he arches on each tube) a little more, so that the result would be SPECTACULAR. Don't worry, we all know that in photos, " imperfections" are more noticeable. You can see things that you can't see with the naked eye.

Keep up the good work!:jc_doublethumbup:

Reference images

Wq9tBqD.png      XsO2cGX.jpg   r9ZiSi0.jpg   Hbg4B5K.jpg

Appreciate the kind words.  I would love to get more defined and agree they should be.  However, That's as good as I could get it.  That was the most stressful thing I have ever painted, lol.  If that doesn't pass as is, I may try to find more "professional" who can do it.  But I have hit my max.  

Not sure where you're located, Dale, but if it ever became necessary and you wanted to ship your helmet to me, I'd paint the teeth and vocoder for you. But honestly your GML will probably clear you as-is. You're doing GREAT! :salute:

2 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Not sure where you're located, Dale, but if it ever became necessary and you wanted to ship your helmet to me, I'd paint the teeth and vocoder for you. But honestly your GML will probably clear you as-is. You're doing GREAT! :salute:

Yes, I spoke to him today, and he approves based on what he sees.  But I would like level 3.  I am not sure why... lol.  But I would.   I am Kansas City now.  

• Like 1

So far progress looks good for basic approval for sure. Even higher levels looks like you are doing well towards making it easier to achieve those too. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's very hard to get stickers to follow around the ears well, many choose to paint these, just be aware you have a couple of points sticking out, also one side is rounded and the other square.

0c0gTTY.thumb.jpg.1a6825259e4e3cdac2127ac98f69da8e.jpg

lku5HBt.thumb.jpg.3fc1860fcaccad93b88f419b30256b69.jpg

For higher levels you could countersink the ear screws  For Level 3, all ear screws must be "..slotted, flat-topped, countersunk and painted white".  

As always @gmrhodes13 as always, thanks for your feedback!  I knew those issues existed.  I did think my screws may be passable as the helmet came with the holes counter sunk.  Well, a little.  I will add these to my L3 punch list.  

I do have a question, as you seem to have an eagle eye and are clearly highly detailed.   And I am not trying to be argumentative, but trying to deepen my knowledge. The items that you and others call out, except for the items that are clearly not meeting the criteria on the CLR, is that mainly your opinions, as it seems subjective.  Or, is there another criterion you all are basing your opinions on?  Just trying to understand as I complete my build.  Again, appreciate all your help and feedback!  

13 minutes ago, DTKC said:

I do have a question, as you seem to have an eagle eye and are clearly highly detailed.   And I am not trying to be argumentative, but trying to deepen my knowledge. The items that you and others call out, except for the items that are clearly not meeting the criteria on the CLR, is that mainly your opinions, as it seems subjective.  Or, is there another criterion you all are basing your opinions on?  Just trying to understand as I complete my build.  Again, appreciate all your help and feedback!  

Most feedback from members takes L3 into account, although not required for basic approval we do encourage builders to build to the higher levels hence the stricter commentary.

Text and photo references is what we base our feedback on.

You may notice in the CRL's the word "ideally" this gives a general outline of a specific detail or details, although our feedback may give more detailed information anything with "ideally" is open to interpretation.

And in the event there is conflicting information go with what the Deployment Team say ;) 

• Like 1

Ok - I have taped together the torso/codpiece areas just to see if it would fit.  If I suck in my gut, it fits. And if I don't breathe. :) 

I have not yet trimmed the 1/4 to 1/2'ish inch on the return edges yet.  I imagine I will end up needing shims.  But thought I would first get your input.  I am losing weight and have about 15 more pounds to go.  So maybe I won't need shims.