1st Build - TK - DTKC -Build Thread

DTKC

29 minutes ago, DTKC said:

Ok - I have taped together the torso/codpiece areas just to see if it would fit.  If I suck in my gut, it fits. And if I don't breathe. :) 

I have not yet trimmed the 1/4 to 1/2'ish inch on the return edges yet.  I imagine I will end up needing shims.  But thought I would first get your input.  I am losing weight and have about 15 more pounds to go.  So maybe I won't need shims.  

Photos would help ;) 

You do have the option of adding temporary shims and remove once you shed the weight, you can wear temporary shims for basic and L2 EIB.

A few threads

Ok - so I am starting on the forearms.  I need to do some research on this issue.  But my ends are not at all aligning up.  This is on both the left and right forearms.  Is that normal?  (Again, I need to start searching around.  )

Should I be trying to ensure, the wrist areas align without any timing, though I suspect that will be easiest?  Or the back of the forearms, to trim if needed?  I did leave about a 4mm return edge on the backs and of course, nothing on the wrists. 

tgudbui.jpg

gatVUDg.jpg

kd72CuR.jpg

gL5MbB5.jpg

It does happen on some makes of armor, you can trim the ends to match, make sure the fronts meet and adjust the back accordingly

• Like 1

Trimming any overhang is fine, you can also trim down more return edge if you wish for comfort

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Trimming any overhang is fine, you can also trim down more return edge if you wish for comfort

Great thanks!  I will double-check the return edge, I thought I had it at 4 mm.  But that picture makes it look larger.  Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the forearms and maybe the biceps once I get some help.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTKC said:

Great thanks!  I will double-check the return edge, I thought I had it at 4 mm.  But that picture makes it look larger.  Hopefully tomorrow I can finish the forearms and maybe the biceps once I get some help.  

This thread can be helpful in case you haven't seen it

This is my right forearm.  All in all, I am fairly happy with it, unless people see issues.  ( I apologize a couple are not completely in focus.) 

wCNGkTt.jpg

BklAikG.jpg

0dkk1wL.jpg

d9k3xoD.jpg

This is my only concern.  The picture above, obviously has no annotations.  

Below the blue would be the cover strip.  The point, in the red boxes, I thought I would cut and sand down? 

tV9thFp.png

Edited by DTKC

40 minutes ago, DTKC said:

Below the blue would be the cover strip.  The point, in the red boxes, I thought I would cut and sand down? 

tV9thFp.png

Yes trim those down, you don't want those sticking into you, armor bites get a bit tiresome on a long troop ;)

Note also that with coverstrips not all have to be straight, they can be angled  ;) 

gallery_12157_59_206769.jpg

Not sure if it's been mentioned but make sure you rough both surfaces with coarse sandpaper prior to fixing with glue, helps the glue to grip too. For those coverstrips that don't lay completely flat squashing the pieces down and wrapping masking tape around tightly can help and any pieces under strain leave to dry for at least 48 to 72 hours. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am back at it.  Thighs are glued and drying.  I will post pics later.  But on to the shins.  Before I get cutting a couple of things.  

1. I am going to remove the return edge off the bottoms.
  2. I am going to leave 3/16 on the tops of the return edge
  3. Does this look correct to you all?   I imagine the shorter piece is on the inside.  (This is looking top down.)

JI05yZ1.png

cdpd4mK.jpg

And velcro'ing in this manner is still the most accept method? 

AvVHJLe.jpg

Yeah, I would definitely leave some of the return edges on the tops of the shins, Dale.  One thing I would HIGHLY suggest is to add a cover strip inside each of the front seam of the shins.  It doesn't have to be pretty (no one sees it) and you can use scraps from your build to do this.

The reason for this is that that those seams get a lot of wear and tear from being opened/closed when suiting up.

wP2tT1X.jpg

Looking great so far... keep up the nice work and keep those questions (and pics) rolling in!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Definitely cover strips in the insides, these flex all the time from putting on and taking off so the extra strength will pay off in the long run.

I have roughly 5mm return edge around the tops on my thighs.

If you find them too tight on your leg you may be able to add mobility cuts, references here

Note check your height and gaps first, adding mobility cuts to someone tall with large gaps can make those gaps look even larger.

Thanks guys.  I didn't see @gmrhodes13post until after I got all my glueing done but fortunately, I did do about 5 mm return edge on that top! Phew.  

Thighs, glued up.  Check.  Shins just got glued up. Check.  I need to add the piece to the right thigh and left knee.  But I am assuming that is not going to be too difficult.  Then on to the chest and back.  I see a light at the ed of the tunnel!  Until I post pictures and you all tell me what I did wrong. :)  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DTKC said:

But I am assuming that is not going to be too difficult.

Thigh strip is usually pretty easy, a couple of references 

gallery_12157_78_1344899.jpg

gallery_12157_15_41437.jpg

gallery_12157_15_1150.jpg

Now the sniper plate can be a right pain in the backside, depending no make you may need to use clamps, magnets and tape to hold in place, some even need a slight heat and twist to get them to sit right. Or you may be one of the lucky ones.

A few references.

Q5LXorf.png?1   SPKijxH.png?2   TQSUjK8.jpg?1  YSGgsvY.png?1

I had thought the ammo pack would cover the small gap.  I was wrong.  Is it better to leave or try and use paste to fill in the gap?

My ammo pack came with about a 9 mm return edge.  I read one post that it should be around 3-5 mm.  Should I remove?  I personally would rather leave if I can just because trying to remove 4mm is more hassle than it's worth and it could result in more issues. 

Also is that off set too much? 

zsm9gWs.png

Small gap in back.  Fill with paste or leave? The blue tape on the ammo pack is were I would be making cuts.  

e4ra9gp.png

Blue tape is what I would be removing.  Should the ammo pack align with the back corner? 

oJ9dZNI.png

As long as I can get the sniper plate to glue correctly, is the alignment ok? 

dqPv55P.png

IHPPlpa.png

Edited by DTKC
  • Like 1

Correct on all most of your assumptions :duim:

You can glue a small piece of plastic behind the thigh gaps, then fill with either sugru or ABS paste.

mG49Nzc.jpg?1  E5L7eXO.jpg?1

With the thigh ammo strip you only need a few mm's edge 

mG49Nzc.jpg?1 

Ends trim to comers

nlwDx7l.jpg?1

Rivet placement

2pvrAr5.jpg?1

Sniper plate

NOTE:  For a more screen accurate look, it is suggested that the top of the rear ridge of the sniper plate be aligned with the top ridge of the calf. Also note that the sides are angled rather than curved.

Q5LXorf.png?1   SPKijxH.png?2   TQSUjK8.jpg?1  YSGgsvY.png?1

Ok - need help.  First big issue, at least for me.  

Shins!  

Two issues: 

1. Shins are too short.  I am 6'5.  Now, I can add a couple of inches to the bottom.   You can see what happens when I move the shin up to where I think the right location of the sniper plate should be.  
  2. The other issue is on the left leg I made it to small.  It felt like it fit correctly.  Was snug. But apparently too snug.  Please see image below.  

Questions:

1. Does my solutions below seem like they would work? 
  2. I looked at reference images and I think my sniper plate should roughly cover the knee, correct?  It felt more comfortable that way. 

1Cpd8qO.png

This is the proper place met for the sniper plate, correct?  

iqGkPDq.png

Here would be my thought.  Add a couple of inches, to both left and right shim.  ( I will get the wifey to help measure.) 

Then create a shim for the back.  And the small notch at the top.  I would just mold something with the scrapes and ABS paste.   

Please excuse the mess on the back.  I need to clean it up after gluing the velcro down.  

iZqGnNG.png

You could just add a larger cover strip on the rear, as the public normally only sees the front, make sure you discuss with your GML as some are tougher on pieces than others.

6' 5" is a little tall for a lot of kits, RT mod and TM both sell longer shins but the issue would be color matching, there are big difference in color between makers and their plastic suppliers.

Wouldn't mind see how your shins look with your armor and thighs attached, you may be able to do a few adjustments to fill any gaps.

Ultimately yes you could lengthen the shins but it would take a lot of work, clueing extra pieces of plastic, then fill gaps with ABS paste, sanding and also trying to get the right looks, would be hard work. 

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Wouldn't mind see how your shins look with your armor and thighs attached, you may be able to do a few adjustments to fill any gaps.

I am just holding the cod piece and the thighs up.  Both shins are just taped in back which is why they look off.  I can bring them down a touch.  And honestly not feeling like I need to add to them.  What do you think?  I am also checking with the GML.  

O4LMWma.png

Your shins could also come down a little if possible, just give you a little more room at the knees. It's all a case of tweaking how everything sits on you.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:25 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Your shins could also come down a little if possible, just give you a little more room at the knees. It's all a case of tweaking how everything sits on you.

Thanks as always Glen!  My GML said the same thing.   I will be working on this today!  

Edited by DTKC
  • Like 1