MakerM13's build thread (WTF Kits)

makerM13

The builds begins. I actually have two TKs to build; one for me, one for the wife! (The family that troops together...).

Armor from Walt's Trooper Factor. So far very pleased with the kit. Very sturdy.

Allison Kit Unboxed.jpg

BBB_1.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent choice starting with the biceps in order to minimize visibility on any mishaps. =) Fantastic, too, to see you making one for your spouse too! I look forward to following along on your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first cut is always the hardest ;) 

A great thread from @justjoseph63on return edges you may find handy

Good luck with the rest of the build

• Like 1

A really nice start to your build thread, Mark!  :jc_doublethumbup:  As I mention in the tutorial that Glen linked to, I suggest removing the area shown below.  The reason being is that while "on patrol" at a troop we spend most of the time with our arms bent carrying our E-11.  If the opening is too tight this can lead to that return edge cutting into your arm after a while ("armor bite").  Eliminating that edge and sanding it smooth will help... trust me. ;)  Note in the photo showing the screen used bicep that the top of the forearm has also been trimmed smooth (for the same reason as above).  It's all about comfort..

You can also remove the return edge at the top

as this area is covered by the shoulder bell.

NoZTFiR.jpg     GduHAln.jpg          91ZZzjV.jpg   BgdLH0o.jpg

While some troopers have no issues with a small amount of return edge in this area, it's often difficult to tell until it's too late.  If you decide to trim it it's best to do it before final fitting/gluing.  If trimmed after the fact it can make the opening too large, which may result in having to take the pieces apart, trim and re-glue.  Not a fun task.

Keep the questions and photos rolling in, and when in doubt, always ask for advice before forging ahead.  We are here to help every step of the way!

Starting the trimming of the forearms. 

Once the trimming is done, I'll start fitting and assembly the biceps and forearms.

I promised my wife I would start on mine and learn the process (AKA make all the mistakes) before starting hers!

TK_M_Forearm_02.jpg

• Like 1

• makerM13 changed the title to MakerM13's build thread (WTF Kits)

Looking good. make sure you do a test fit, painters masking tape is good to hold pieces in place while testing :D 

Excellent job on trimming those forearm openings!  Although not a requirement for Basic or even Expert Infantry approval, 100% of the return edges will need to be removed if you and the wife are (hopefully ;)) headed for Centurion.  Looks like you are right where you need to be (or very close)!

MtYxv8c.jpg

Remember when sizing that the forearms should have a taper toward the wrist.  The opening should be large enough to accommodate your wrist (and glove of course), but not too wide.  A good rule of thumb I use is that you should be able to fit 3 or 4 fingers between the forearm piece and glove***.

RgpUFe0.jpg  WgdCAKD.jpg  iXKWVnK.jpg

*** It helps to wear the glove(s) when sizing.

I have a question on trimming parts for cover strips and fitting.

With the WTF kit, there are the raised sections for the cover strips (Blue areas).

Do I trim these to fit for cover strips, and use only the Yellow area to trim for fitting?

TK_M_Forearm Trimming_01.jpg

AM lot of it will depend on how thick your arms are... on the front there should be at least a small amount of the raised ridge under the cover strips.  The rear can also have as much as you need, but some troopers need to remove all the raised ridge in the back completely.

Sz6MLip.jpg      nsqDCPY.jpg

Here are some pics from WTF builds showing the rear and forearm tops that may help.  Note that it's fine to have some return edge on the tops (some people like the way it makes the armor look thicker) but in fact there was little to none on most troopers seen in ANH.

e5oTcKJ.jpg  vCcY7tE.jpg  UyabULm.jpg  oVXXMUI.jpg

With any pieces that will be under some strain (example biceps) I let the glue cure for 48 to 72 hours just to make sure they are fully dried and hold before adding the other side coverstrips

HzPv6lL.jpeg

• Like 1

If you haven't already you can rough up the surfaces prior to gluing, makes the glue grip better ;) 

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but had a question on neck seal. Purchase# from Imperial Boots. Not sure if fit is OK, seems large.

4WdW14V.jpg

7JcTxg6.jpg

bqGF7RL.jpg

Since it is a zippered type I don't see an easy way to adjust.

It's a little hard to tell how snug it fits on the sides, but overall it looks fine.  I prefer mine to sit on the higher side (as yours does) since I normally don't wear a balaclava and it helps prevent showing any skin.  Having a little extra room is nice as well.. if it's too tight it can get a little uncomfortable when you start to sweat.  Helmet fans can help move some air into those gaps.  

Note how some sat higher (yellow arrows) and some sat lower (blue arrow).

W7Ernvd.jpg

This... looks... GREAT, Mark!  Super nice job the trimming, and it looks like you are getting quite proficient in working with ABS :jc_doublethumbup:.  Keep this up and your armor is gonna' turn out spectacular!

I'm probably jumping the gun here as you have probably figured it out, but if I could make 2 quick suggestions they would be:

1.  Not really a huge thing for the biceps, but if you have scrap ABS I would consider adding interior cover strips.  This adds extra strength on the seams, and it doesn't need to look pretty, lol, as no one sees the inside.  It doesn't need to be actual ABS... any thick (preferably white) plastic will do nicely.  Even if you choose not to do it on the forearms, biceps or thigh pieces, I HIGHLY suggest doing it on the inside fronts of the calf pieces.  The reason being is that those get a lot of wear and tear from being opened up over and over when putting them on, and any additional support will help.  Trust me.

2.  Again, I'm sure you have realized it but using some (200 grit or above) sandpaper on the edges (yellow arrow) will prevent them from snagging on or wearing a hole in your undersuit. ;)

cUyDCJz.jpg

Excellent start on this build, sir, and with this level of dedication I hope to see an application for Expert infantry in your future!