MakerM13's build thread (WTF Kits)

makerM13

I personally went legs first but I also have them held up with a nylon belt so they technically don’t strap to the rest of the armor. Beyond that I did torso then arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello, simpleton question, but after cutting elastic straps, do you seal the ends with a flame like nylon webbing? I did one and the end doesn't seem to seal as well as nylon. I do get that nice burnt rubber smell however!

I do as they can fray pretty badly, run them across a gas stove top or use a lighter, or soldering iron, once hot press on a piece of board/wood.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, makerM13 said:

Hello, simpleton question, but after cutting elastic straps, do you seal the ends with a flame like nylon webbing? I did one and the end doesn't seem to seal as well as nylon. I do get that nice burnt rubber smell however!

I use a mini lightsaber to seal the ends. LOL. Overkill but very fun

y3CFR33.jpg

• Like 1

I'm starting to fit my torso. I've already figured out that I need kidney plate shims. My only concern is the placement of the back plate. With everything down below where it feels comfortable, the back neckline is much lower than the front. Feedback would be appreciated!

88atEQlh.jpg

vs9G0Vbh.jpg

ODBpD2yh.jpg

w8x5uFJh.jpg

23 minutes ago, makerM13 said:

Looking at the pics again I realize my chest plate should be lower with more overlap. I guess my main question is does the back neckline look OK? Just seems a bit low. Thanks

Appears so. Neckline looks a touch low, do you have any room at the cod/posterior to bring everything up a touch more, you normally find it's pretty snug fitting down there if you are a little taller.

Looking at the length of your arms I'd guess you are over 6'?

Were's a WTF EIB at 5'11" for comparison

34043e1ed1e07c3827eb68f485efe630.jpg

9 minutes ago, makerM13 said:

Yeah, I'm 6'1". I can try to 'tuck up' a bit more on the cod, but I don't want to risk any pinch! :shok:

Once you test the shoulder bridges you could try to let them longer to allow the chest and back to get lower. :salute:

7 minutes ago, makerM13 said:

Yeah, I'm 6'1". I can try to 'tuck up' a bit more on the cod, but I don't want to risk any pinch! :shok:

I'd say you are just over the ideal height for the kit which will require some compromising, ie snug fitting.

Biggest issue firstly is getting your chest to stay over the abdomen, you may need tighter strapping so it doesn't pop behind when you bend, once you have that set see how everything else is looking.

After more fiddling, I think I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that higher certifications are not in my future. The WTF kit is nice, but is just not going to fit. I'm disappointed because I specified my height and weight to WTF, and was sold the tall kit. :(

6 hours ago, makerM13 said:

After more fiddling, I think I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that higher certifications are not in my future. The WTF kit is nice, but is just not going to fit. I'm disappointed because I specified my height and weight to WTF, and was sold the tall kit. :(

Sorry to hear this, unfortunately many of the kits don't really go over 6', some makers do offer longer shins but these don't help other areas. For the taller trooper AM (Daves Darkside Depot) is a better fit.

Funny thing is when I started out I messaged WTF and Dave's Darkside. Dave never replied so I went with Walt! :mellow:. I'm going to message Walt to see if he has any suggestions. He's away at a show this week I believe.

• Like 1

I just read a post about a very tall trooper that added ab and kidney plate shims behind the belt to add height. Does anyone know if any pics of his build exist? There wasn't a name or TK mentioned. Thanks

48 minutes ago, makerM13 said:

I just read a post about a very tall trooper that added ab and kidney plate shims behind the belt to add height. Does anyone know if any pics of his build exist? There wasn't a name or TK mentioned. Thanks

Can't say I've seen any builds like that, although I have found some mention of adding an inch but so far no images

"My initial idea was to separate the cod and ab pieces, then add a few inches of ABS and hide that behind the belt....hopefully I can extend it enough. I'm sure this has been done by other tall troopers, but I haven't seen any images or anything."

Found a few posts in the Anovos build group on Facebook, unfortunately no finished images

https://www.facebook.com/groups/838545079553903/search/?q=too tall

6786_10209247658332373_1194272211838503782_n.thumb.jpg.afc69cce38cdf827689bb342218554e3.jpg

And another

12743973_1113518158688478_7318261086418804053_n.thumb.jpg.8dfce7e20479d4edac8e42eceadb46ee.jpg12729050_1113518458688448_4864227941432011005_n.thumb.jpg.56e001db3de90934df7b79071f6ab09e.jpg

Here's an extended kidney

12795561_1124341594272801_5661962204251154115_n.thumb.jpg.4928d01f213b084adc9b6b897297533f.jpg

• Like 1

It’s definitely doable, just with some shimming and stuff, which is work, but can be done.

That being said I’ll mention Dave’s Darkside Depot isn’t always the fastest to respond, especially recently where he’s been busy on a very large run of armor commissions, but he is active and does make great kits.

Should you decide to keep working this armor to higher levels of approval we are all here to support and help of course, but my first recommendation to anyone is aim for higher levels if you want them, but remember that most important of anything is basic approval. I’ve seen some members get discouraged when building at higher levels only to mention that they are going to high for basic approval. If that’s really their most important goal, basic approval and membership then they can definitely achieve that and work on higher later.

I don’t discourage higher at first though because it’s easier to achieve it by working towards it from the start then later. So either way, whatever gets you to your preferred outcomes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/25/2023 at 4:10 PM, makerM13 said:

@gmrhodes13 thanks for finding this. Not really the route I'd like to go, but we'll see :icon_beg:

I'm just curios & pay me no never mind, Could you finish the kit to a good standard? as you appear to be approaching that level of finish, then on sell the kit as a "pre made Armour" & in between return to the deskside with Dave, and make a kit as close to perfect for you? just a thought.

As Kyle acknowledges Dave's a busy guy, maybe for good reason.

Either way your building on valuable experience in assembling these B) good luck

@riveting I am continuing to work my WTF armor. I think I can get everything to work out with some creative strap tightening! Once I everything together, I'll see if it works for me and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion. If the fit doesn't work out, I'll probably go that route. Thanks again.

• Like 1