Should I stick with Elastic loops or go to Snaps?

So after a recent troop on Memorial Day, A parade I commenced with the ritual post troop cleanup/recharge & polish.  Came across my Chestplate elastic loops in VERY poor condition and in immediate need of replacement. 

hEqjkRO.jpg

QsXi3s9.jpg

First, I can't remember what diameter these are supposed to be (length of material to cut to have stitched into a loop).  As an alternative - can I order a SUPPLY of loops for backups on hand?

Secondly, wouldn't it be more rubust converting to snaps rather than brackets?  I'm torn and could use some advice on longevity/durability.  And looks especially.  Thanks for any replies.

In time brackets can crack out of your armour due to the small amount of material they have to go through.

Snap plates and snaps with elastic are very durable, easy to replace and i always carry a few spares with me on troops.

Double snaps is the way to go in case a single snap fails, at least you still have the other to hold things together and keep you in the game.

I've successfully used snaps and elastic now for 9 years with only one failure which I was able to fix on troop in a matter of minutes.

• Like 1

I would also highly suggest moving to the snap system, Rodney.  Better yet, as Andrew mentioned I would go with the double-snap method.  Yeah, it's extra work but well worth every minute it takes to make and attach them.  Trust me.

Here is a perfect example of double snaps from @Adianu's build (thank you, Sherry)! :D

EcARjAp.jpg

The part of the snap that is secured (I suggest E-6000) to your armor is Nylon, while the strap itself is elastic (for mobility).   I have a thread here which may help.  To keep the screen accurate look you can actually just remove the wires (no one sees them anyway) and keep the screws in place. ;)

• Like 1

I'll also recommend the double snap insurance. I've found on the rare occasion after dekitting that one snap had let go but I never noticed and the fun went on as usual. 

Having a failure is not fun. I've felt bad after laughing :smiley-sw013:

I'd leave the screw look minus the brackets so it looks OG from the outside. Get some elastic and nylon webbing and a big bag of Tandy snaps. 

Good Luck Trooper :duim:

1 hour ago, magni said:

I'll also recommend the double snap insurance. I've found on the rare occasion after dekitting that one snap had let go but I never noticed and the fun went on as usual. 

Having a failure is not fun. I've felt bad after laughing :smiley-sw013:

I'd leave the screw look minus the brackets so it looks OG from the outside. Get some elastic and nylon webbing and a big bag of Tandy snaps. 

Good Luck Trooper :duim:

How would you go about doing it with elastic? Since the armor rests (not totally ofc) on the back plate it seems tricky to get the right length, but maybe it isn't at all? I'm thinking of doing the same thing! :rolleyes:

There is industrial elastic which should be a little stronger you could give that a try. I have seen some just keep the brackets/screws for show and add snaps and elastic, this takes any pressure of the brackets and stops any cracking between the screws.

16 hours ago, Nairy said:

How would you go about doing it with elastic? Since the armor rests (not totally ofc) on the back plate it seems tricky to get the right length, but maybe it isn't at all? I'm thinking of doing the same thing! :rolleyes:

I purchase this type on Amazon and 2 yards (2 meters) should be more than enough.  Just be sure to double over the ends about half an inch, which will reinforce them and keep the snaps from pulling out.  I also suggest gluing/clamping the folded part.  ;)

• Like 1