Modifying the Nico Helmet

TKModder421

I might be really tired... but what are the differences you guys are seeing? Not the lack of insert on the Nico render, right? Because that's a small file that you print separately.

The overall shape looks quite good to my eyes.

1 hour ago, revlimiter said:

I might be really tired... but what are the differences you guys are seeing? Not the lack of insert on the Nico render, right? Because that's a small file that you print separately.

The overall shape looks quite good to my eyes.

It's the ridge around the greeble. Original has a rounded raised section and Nick's is flat

After speaking with Greg yesterday he is going to attempt to modify it when he has a little spare time, as we can't get any reply from Nick.

detail.png.1a5a7458ed9bc7f115747667c7992f0f.thumb.png.1f4a3c2b07e15cfd2fcf6190c5368971.png

• Like 1

I was looking over my original Nico R1TK build and I noticed that after post-processing, that flat ridge is hardly noticeable, the foothill that extends to touch the ear cap is a bit square at the corners and I'll attempt to round it out as I work on it, but I can't make any guarantees. 

Here is an image of the the reference compared to the Nico ears on my original build
494xs64.png

To be honest, I was more concerned about this part of the ear cap. 
HAwvLMyl.png

This is my progress on that mod currently
J8PRLZPl.png

• Like 4

On 11/22/2023 at 4:16 PM, TKModder421 said:

I was looking over my original Nico R1TK build and I noticed that after post-processing, that flat ridge is hardly noticeable, the foothill that extends to touch the ear cap is a bit square at the corners and I'll attempt to round it out as I work on it, but I can't make any guarantees. 

Here is an image of the the reference compared to the Nico ears on my original build
494xs64.png

To be honest, I was more concerned about this part of the ear cap. 
HAwvLMyl.png

This is my progress on that mod currently
J8PRLZPl.png

I agree with you. I am concerned about the parts on Nico's R1 TK helmet ear caps, too. I even made comparisons between Nico's R1 TK bucket and a R1 TK.

IMG_20231121_003850.thumb.jpg.b357905eea76f12a807b3100e97eca83.jpgIMG_20231129_232409.thumb.jpg.38a7032788375cf298455462a5ff4de0.jpg

I found a video where it showcases the original Rogue One TK armor from a Rogue One premiere. I noticed that Nico's Rogue One TK helmet ears seem to look very different than the original prop.

IMG-20231203-112225.jpg

Source:

The ears from the TK helmet from the 2022 celebration look different as well. However, I'm not sure if the armor from that convention really counts as a Rogue One TK armor.

IMG-20231121-005155.jpg

Here's a bonus: a comparison between the back sides of ears on the original Rogue One TK bucket and Nico's Rogue One TK bucketIMG-20231203-132058.jpg.

These are just my observations, and I'm sorry for posting a lot in this thread.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:22 PM, DarthSaiyan8697 said:

I am not sure if you had some concerns with the teeth.

I have many concerns with the teeth. But unfortunately my biggest concerns are not something that I think I'm going to be able to remedy.

Please keep in mind that as much as I would love to be able to modify this helmet to perfection, I just don't have the professional skill nor time to do so. I made the mods I've done in the effort to remedy a few items that I wanted fixed, but the majority of the rest will have to be tackled by someone else...

honestly I encourage you all to reach out to Denuo Novo and ask that they consider pursuing the release of the ROTK/Mimban helmet that Anovos prototyped several years back. I've mentioned it in an inquiry email with them and the customer agent said he would pass along my interest. Maybe if enough of us speak up, they will consider doing so.

But with all that said, I actually had recently made additional mods to the teeth as well as added alignment keys to the tears and traps, and as I mentioned before I am going to attempt to modify the ear caps, but I'm not sure it that will turn out.

I'll add a post about the additional mods here soon.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2023 at 1:44 PM, TKModder421 said:

I have many concerns with the teeth. But unfortunately my biggest concerns are not something that I think I'm going to be able to remedy.

Please keep in mind that as much as I would love to be able to modify this helmet to perfection, I just don't have the professional skill nor time to do so. I made the mods I've done in the effort to remedy a few items that I wanted fixed, but the majority of the rest will have to be tackled by someone else...

honestly I encourage you all to reach out to Denuo Novo and ask that they consider pursuing the release of the ROTK/Mimban helmet that Anovos prototyped several years back. I've mentioned it in an inquiry email with them and the customer agent said he would pass along my interest. Maybe if enough of us speak up, they will consider doing so.

But with all that said, I actually had recently made additional mods to the teeth as well as added alignment keys to the tears and traps, and as I mentioned before I am going to attempt to modify the ear caps, but I'm not sure it that will turn out.

I'll add a post about the additional mods here soon.

Apologies for the delayed response. I understand. Thank you. Also, the problem is that Denuo Novo would most likely not release Anovos's prototype ROTK helmet.

Edited by DarthSaiyan8697

Ok, so I've been meaning to post about a couple additional mods I've made. I just have struggled with time management lol... which is also a reason my build progress has been so slow.

Alignment keys on the Tears and Traps:

So the first mod was adding additional alignment keys to the tears and traps. I did this to make it easier to align the parts in the center of the recess, as well as add some additional surface area for adhesion. Also I'd heard from a source that they were used on production helmets and have seen an image of key holes where a back trap was missing.

I printed up these test pieces to make sure the mods work. I painted the recesses black so they appear to have a deeper recess.

JZ799iBl.jpg

8I7oI17l.jpg

ZFUYpspl.jpg

yEcfdOel.jpg

bLEv937l.jpg

E0DqtFbl.jpg

Teeth:

The second mod is on the teeth. I made several attempts at correcting the teeth, specifically trying to get the teeth to intersect into the edges of the chin whereas now they currently just touch. Unfortunately I wasn't able to successfully make it look right. I may continue to fiddle around with it... we'll see.
BUT... I did still feel that I could improve the teeth a bit without having to also modify the chin. Therefore it'll work with my current build. So similar to what David Os did to his remixed teeth, I angled the center tooth to lean back a bit further and angled out the flanking teeth slightly.

Here is with the original mod on the left and the new mod on the right:

8hvS1Zdl.png

YdeEvkSl.png

And I made some comparison gifs because the difference is pretty subtle.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Apologies for the delayed response. I understand. Thank you. Also, the problem is that Denuo Novo would most likely not release Anovos's prototype ROTK helmet.

Keep in mind, Denuo Novo will only consider it if there are enough people that show interest. They need to make an investment decision, and if the demand is there, then I think they might move forward. So I encourage everyone interested in a more accurate ROTK style helmet to please speak up and let DN know that there is a significant demand for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, TKModder421 said:

Keep in mind, Denuo Novo will only consider it if there are enough people that show interest. They need to make an investment decision, and if the demand is there, then I think they might move forward. So I encourage everyone interested in a more accurate ROTK style helmet to please speak up and let DN know that there is a significant demand for it.

I mean, yes, but also there are manufacturing considerations. If they can't produce them at a low enough unit cost to be able to sell them at a price point that appeals to their target market, they won't.

Can't vacuum form these, and injection molds are super expensive, so they'd probably be fiberglass like the rest of the "Premier" line, which the cosplay community tends not to favor. Same argument for the armor, so I doubt we'll see them hit the mass market. But we can hope.

• Like 2

I mean, yes, but also there are manufacturing considerations. If they can't produce them at a low enough unit cost to be able to sell them at a price point that appeals to their target market, they won't.

Can't vacuum form these, and injection molds are super expensive, so they'd probably be fiberglass like the rest of the "Premier" line, which the cosplay community tends not to favor. Same argument for the armor, so I doubt we'll see them hit the mass market. But we can hope.

Yeah, i completely agree with the what you said about the manufacturing considerations.
I would assume they would go the fiberglass route as well. I don’t see them attempting the armor though.
But what I was getting at, is I feel that they need to be made aware that the demand is there in the first place in order to then consider the financial viability

2 minutes ago, TKModder421 said:

Yeah, i completely agree with the what you said about the manufacturing considerations.
I would assume they would go the fiberglass route as well. I don’t see them attempting the armor though.
But what I was getting at, is I feel that they need to be made aware that the demand is there in the first place in order to then consider the financial viability

It's questionable if the demand really is there anyways, IMO. 95% of people can't tell the difference between the New Gen and OT, as evidenced by the Black Series... which also kind of fills the place in the market we're potentially discussing. Just sayin'. Ping Mark lol

It's questionable if the demand really is there anyways, IMO. 95% of people can't tell the difference between the New Gen and OT, as evidenced by the Black Series... which also kind of fills the place in the market we're potentially discussing. Just sayin'. Ping Mark lol

Yeah I can’t argue with that.

Mark who?

57 minutes ago, TKModder421 said:

Yeah I can’t argue with that.

Mark who?

Sorry, Mark Von Ohlen, their Brand Manager (though he just got a promotion, I hear...).

Also, another sorry - not to imply any negativity with my comments. If anything, my thoughts just highlight the importance of the incredible work you (and Nico) have done to enable the community to have a highly accurate model available to print ourselves. I often just can't help playing devil's advocate or pointing out additional info/viewpoints. 

Additional updates look incredible!   :salute:

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Sorry, Mark Von Ohlen, their Brand Manager (though he just got a promotion, I hear...).

Also, another sorry - not to imply any negativity with my comments. If anything, my thoughts just highlight the importance of the incredible work you (and Nico) have done to enable the community to have a highly accurate model available to print ourselves. I often just can't help playing devil's advocate or pointing out additional info/viewpoints. 

Additional updates look incredible!   :salute:

Oh haha! Gotcha

No need to apologize, I appreciate the discussion and the nod. 

I'm often the one playing devil's advocate in these situations, so I can fully appreciate where you're coming from.  But I still do feel that DN produces several helmets that fall into the same bucket of, difficulty to produce and having a small audience.

I don't have false hope and I don't want to give anyone false hope, but it certainly can't hurt if we all speak up. If we organize and make our voice heard, even if it's just like maybe 15 of us, the worst they can do is nothing and then we're in no different situation than we are now, you know? I'll leave it at that for now lol

• Like 1

I  just started printing Nico's helmet, then I found this thread!  Are you making these updates available anywhere?

What software did you use to make the changes? I have another non TK bucket that could do with some of these improvements such as assembly tabs etc.  I tried fusion 360 but the files are too big to manipulate.  Sorry for all the questions!

On 12/10/2023 at 5:17 AM, ReelClones said:

I  just started printing Nico's helmet, then I found this thread!  Are you making these updates available anywhere?

What software did you use to make the changes? I have another non TK bucket that could do with some of these improvements such as assembly tabs etc.  I tried fusion 360 but the files are too big to manipulate.  Sorry for all the questions!

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm sharing my mods with troopers that have purchased Nico's files. DM me if you're interested.

I used Blender to modify the files, add the alignment keys etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is quite late, but I think the Patrol Trooper helmet is a heavily modified new-gen TK helmet. It seems that certain parts of the Patrol Trooper helmet, such as the ears, part of the dome, and the back, resemble the ones of the new-gen/Rogue One TK helmet. However, the Patrol Trooper helmet has some grooves on the back. Both Deuno Novo and Anovos made a Patrol Trooper helmets, and here are the comparisons between the Rogue One TK helmet and the Patrol Trooper helmet.

Zombo-Droid-05022024030140.jpg

Zombo-Droid-05022024030321.jpg

Here are the comparisons between Deuno Novo's Patrol Trooper helmet and Nico's Rogue One TK helmet.

Zombo-Droid-02022024014918.jpg

IMG-20240202-134959.jpg

Nico crafted his own Patrol Trooper helmet. Here's a comparison between his Patrol Trooper helmet and his Rogue One TK helmet.

Zombo-Droid-05022024033429.jpg

Zombo-Droid-02022024014543.jpg

IMG-20240202-134623.jpg

Also, here are the comparisons between the Night Trooper helmet and Nico's Rogue One TK helmet. I know this has nothing to do with the Patrol Trooper helmet, but the Night Trooper's helmet is just a modified Rogue One TK helmet.

Zombo-Droid-03022024065944.jpg

IMG-20240203-190016.jpg

IMG-20240203-184148.jpg

Zombo-Droid-03022024064019.jpg

On 12/30/2023 at 10:12 PM, DarthSaiyan8697 said:

Any updates on the mod?

Sorry about the delay, life gets in the way of my Star Wars obsession sometimes lol.

Ok, so yes, I've got an update on the ear mod. With the help of Matthew Wall, we now have ears that have the full circle ear cap and a slope up to the ear greeblie without such a large plateau and more rounded corners.

8yQDRI7.png

c1mW8p9.png

AjBL4dn.png

dGxUnU5.png

Big thanks to Matthew Wall for his help on the ear mods!!

Also there's an exciting possibility coming down the line. I'll update as things come together

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TKModder421 said:

Also there's an exciting possibility coming down the line. I'll update as things come together

excited-kanan-jarrus.gif

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:37 AM, TKModder421 said:

Sorry about the delay, life gets in the way of my Star Wars obsession sometimes lol.

Ok, so yes, I've got an update on the ear mod. With the help of Matthew Wall, we now have ears that have the full circle ear cap and a slope up to the ear greeblie without such a large plateau and more rounded corners.

8yQDRI7.png

c1mW8p9.png

AjBL4dn.png

dGxUnU5.png

Big thanks to Matthew Wall for his help on the ear mods!!

No worries. It's alright. It looks really, really amazing NGL

• Like 1