icomm and Acker amp not working correctly

As I gear up for my first troop I'm trying to get the electronics working and am stumped on this.

I first had the amp producing random static the entire time whether I was talking or even breathing, but not doing much in the way of actually amplifying my voice.

Then the static completely stopped and it would amplify my voice but there is a continuous screech from the speaker.  No static burst at all.

I tried different cables between the icomm and the amp to no avail.  The instructions say to use the longer of the two cables which I did

I pulled everything out and tried it on the table.  Even with the speaker and the icomm a yard apart still the screech and no static.  The screech was there whenever the icomm was plugged in.

I then tried the switch option.  The screech was there when the switch was pushed but not when released.  The static burst was back and so was the voice amplification so that was good. 

So right now not going to work for a troop because of the screech being overwhelming (regardless of volume) and so be it if I can't get it working in the next week, but I do want to get it working for the future so need to understand what the problem is and get it corrected.

I also tried a different mic with the same results.

Has anyone got any advice on this one?

Thanks.

Bart

The Icomm has an internal battery and after a few years it will die, you can either get a replacement from Icomm or elsewhere or modify to using a 3.7v AA battery, I used this method as I use these batteries for other projects plus it's rechargeable :D 

• Like 3

The unit has seen less than an hour of use so can't imagine it is the battery.  I left it sit all night and same problems this morning.  The amp by itself works fine, no screech from it until it is connected to the icomm.

Bart

The batteries will indeed die just sitting there and existing. My first icomm battery sat in the unit from 2017 till 2021 and didn't get trooped with once. It was dead when I tried it after years of sitting. I replaced it and got about 5 months of life out of that replacement.

The link Glen posted is the best solution to the icomm battery and is what I followed. Well worth that mod.

Amazon carries them and like other have said, they only last about a year one you plug it into your system.

Our Detachment Leader @Sly11 did a great post a while back about how to mod and change them over to a rechargeable battery. 

You can read that in the link below. 

Modding the iComm with an External Battery

As an FYI, yes Li-Ion batteries if left for a long time will get to a point where they no longer hold enough charge to operate. The same goes for rechargeable version.

Li-Ion batteries actually like to be punished to give their best life span and charge capability. Charging them frequently gives the best long term result for life span.

Unfortunately you don't have that luxury with the non rechargeable kind. There is no guarantee how old the battery is in your i-comm. it may already be years old when supplied to the maker of the i-comm device, so there is a very likely possibility it is already depleted as unfortunate as that may sound.

Of course you may also have a faulty i-comm device, this can't be discounted, but the battery is always the first port of call.

The i-comm battery does not run your system, the power of your AKER amp is the main power source. The battery within the i-comm unit maintains a consistent current and allows to functions to operate and holds the memory of your clicks and chirps.

1. are you using the mic that came with your AKER amp?

If not, that could also be part of your issue.

Microphones also play a lesser part in the potential problems with i-comm units.

2. Are you using an AKER amp? I believe these were originally recommended by the maker of the i-comm system.

3. moisture and the 3.5mm connectors can also play a role in the malfunctioning of i-comm units, so there is a lot to consider.

Generally I have found through experience of repairing i-comms for my garrison mates, there are numerous reasons why they fail.

Be mindful if using my work around that they are very fussy with the voltage from the power source so only use a 3.6 to 3.7 volt battery if you are going to attempt my mod.

I found with the rechargeable options, only purchase the batteries that have the overcharge protection chip in them and only use a digital charger that also monitors charge rates.

Other option is as has been mentioned, buy another battery same as is standard and try your luck.

Ultimately, I am sorry you are facing these issues with a new unit, have you contacted the maker to discuss, as I am sure they will also have several suggestions you could try.

Apologies for the wall of text but I would rather offer you as much info as I have, to assist you on finding a potential remedy so you can enjoy your trooping to its upmost :)

• Like 1

Thanks.  Good information to know.  I have been in contact with the supplier and am going to try a battery replacement first.  I was able to find some on amazon that I can get in time but, as you mentioned, only time will tell if the new one is any better than the original.

I am using the original mic and the recommended Acker amp.  It worked a couple weeks ago when I gave it a try before coming up with the chest mounting I would use then a couple weeks later just the endless oddity with the operation.

Bart

• Like 1

Tried two new batteries and no change in the operation of the thing.  It has two ways it works.  On VOX the static bursts play continually mixed in with the non-stop screech.  In PTT mode it screeches as long as the button is being pushed and when the button is released it plays one static burst.

Also tested both new batteries which came out to 3.6v.  Forgot to test the original before putting it back together but since the new ones were okay and didn't work it strikes me there is no battery fault.

When operating properly does the LED blink or stay on continuously?  The instructions say it blinks, mine does not but there is no mention of exactly what that may mean in terms of troubleshooting.  Updated the status of it with the vendor as well.

So, no joy.  It worked last fall when I received it and tried it out and two weeks ago for another try, but failed when it needed to work.

Bart

Edited by BAZINGA
added additional t/s info

Sounds like a deeper issue, change of battery normally solves any issues, I'd advise to get in touch with Icomm, it may be something they have come across previously.

Light comes on when triggered playing sound.

Have you tried cycling through the different sounds?

Just did this demo of the screech and constant static burst in case anyone has any other ideas before I decide what to do with it.  May still be processing.

Bart