First build!

N0SweatBobaFett

57 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Quick question about sizing the shin pieces.  How tight should I fit them, since the back of them isn’t glued shut? Thanks for all the help so far I really appreciate it! :)

They should shut completely and you should wear them with your boots as they can make a big difference. Some who can't completely shut add slightly larger cover strips. Also depends if you are using the hook elastic or velcro. Cricket used magnets to keep them closed 

Hook/elastic

gallery_12157_15_27566.jpg

Velcro

YqoEdA9.jpg.8832051becdaf814d9958cab26fbd3d0.jpg

Magnets

On some occasions some heat is needed to help the shin lay flat, many use a hot water bath as it's easier to control.

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

They should shut completely and you should wear them with your boots as they can make a big difference. Some who can't completely shut add slightly larger cover strips. Also depends if you are using the hook elastic or velcro. Cricket used magnets to keep them closed 

Hook/elastic

gallery_12157_15_27566.jpg

Velcro

YqoEdA9.jpg.8832051becdaf814d9958cab26fbd3d0.jpg

Magnets

On some occasions some heat is needed to help the shin lay flat, many use a hot water bath as it's easier to control.

Awesome!  Thanks!  I’ll make sure to size them with books and undersuit.  I think I’ll probably go with magnets to help close the back parts. 

• Like 2

I also ran into a similar issue with the left thigh as well.  After letting the left thigh dry for longer I realized the thigh wasn’t flush like I thought I had placed it when glueing.  I think it may have to do with the way I’m placing the clamps at the end  of the cover strip that may be leading it to separate a bit when I’m putting clamps/magnets on.  Maybe this is something that would be easier if I put the inner cover strips on first.   

2doEBsW.jpg

I find wrapping masking tape around the whole piece or across pieces that need pulling in helps the armor from expanding while the glue is drying. Make sure when you trim the two pieces that they are very straight and this reduces any pushing when drying.

• Like 2

Using clamps, LOTs of magnets and tape during the drying process will help.  It also helps to keep an eye on the seams, checking them periodically to make sure things haven't shifted out of place.

I know it's a pain in the posterior plate to remove pieces once glued, but in this case I would suggest taking another stab at this one and lowering the cover strip about half an inch.  The bottom of the strip should ideally touch or be very close to the top of the ridge.

I would also recommend gluing in a small scrap of ABS on the inside (behind the gap) to cover it.  If you want to go a step further, you can fill in the top with ABS paste (kind of a pain) or white Sugru.  I have a quick tutorial here on using Sugru, and if you live in the U.S. I will send you (no charge) enough to take care of all the gaps on the front and back.

Screen used thigh- front                                 Rear

3kJkEjC.jpg          kbwd19w.jpg    FU1I4u0.jpg

You may want to trim down a bit of the return edge on the outside to match the inside after gluing the interior scrap. ;)

7GFeXuk.jpg

• Like 2

Before I redo the front cover strips on the thighs I had a quick question,  I noticed for the back of the thighs some people seem to trim out more and get rid of the top curve on the back for more comfort.  In the RS video they didn’t trim this part to be more flat so I left it as is when glueing the cover strips.  Would you recommend I trim the back more to fit better and help with mobility or should I leave it as is for this kit?  Thanks!

uRWHx8T.jpg

50 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Would you recommend I trim the back more to fit better and help with mobility or should I leave it as is for this kit?  Thanks!

I would recommend to wait to the finale test fit to see if there is some issue when walking around. :salute:

• Like 2

Always best to do any trimming once you are finished and fully kitted up, parts can move once dressed and I've seen some with huge gaps because they trimmed too early. Easier to cut of that to add on ;) 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Always best to do any trimming once you are finished and fully kitted up, parts can move once dressed and I've seen some with huge gaps because they trimmed too early. Easier to cut of that to add on ;) 

Gotcha!  Will do!  Should I do a test suit up with tape before I add the remainder of the cover strips on to gauge how everything will fit together?  

9 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Gotcha!  Will do!  Should I do a test suit up with tape before I add the remainder of the cover strips on to gauge how everything will fit together?  

Doesn't hurt just to check how it's all aligning

• Like 2

Did a test fit with the arms (minus the shoulder bells) and the legs with the boots  on to see how much mobility I had.  The arms feel good and there’s a good amount of mobility.  The legs seem pretty stiff because the thighs and shins seem just a little too long.  I think the thighs are up high enough, if not let me know and I can do another test fit.  Thank you! 

OBdRcjE.jpg

cD8uDZb.jpg

HSd2KN3.jpg

fcuN9i7.jpg

jnIJagc.jpg

iqEkDqQ.jpg

vIt7fbt.jpg

LX854wo.jpg

I8c4cxJ.jpg

slNZRRy.jpg

ieF0xps.jpg

• Like 2

Getting there :duim:

I know it's a test fit but I think you have the left shin on the right leg . 

Keep up the good work Future Trooper :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Nice trimming and good shape and taper of the thigh to the shin.

Great wok Brendan, just remember the outer half of the shin is the side you will mount the rear cover strip to so it overlaps the inner half. :duim:

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 5:40 AM, Sly11 said:

Nice trimming and good shape and taper of the thigh to the shin.

Great wok Brendan, just remember the outer half of the shin is the side you will mount the rear cover strip to so it overlaps the inner half. :duim:

Thanks!  I’ll make to sure to remember that!  I trimmed the shins more and cleans some of it up for now so I should be ready to add the cover strips soon!  

On 6/24/2023 at 8:59 AM, magni said:

Getting there :duim:

I know it's a test fit but I think you have the left shin on the right leg . 

Keep up the good work Future Trooper :jc_doublethumbup:

Haha Thanks!  I totally goofed!  I got it right now I think.  I need to keep that in mind so I don’t make any mistakes when I’m putting the back cover strips on.  

35 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

I need to keep that in mind so I don’t make any mistakes when I’m putting the back cover strips on.  

Adding a L or R with marker inside of parts can help ;) 

My lower insides of the shins are trimmed a little more than the outsides, makes it easy to tell which is which :duim:

• Like 2

Waiting for cover strips on the shins to finish glueing.  In the meantime, I trimmed the torso and will probably tackle the chest plate either tonight or tomorrow.  I left at least 8 mm on the top for the screws and 1-1.5 cm on the sides.  I left a little more than 5mm around the cod piece area but could trim more off easy.  

j53Tu8W.jpg

oY3ulSr.jpg

l5Wk8oW.jpg

W8WkJ3f.jpg

ZjLvxNg.jpg

HMli647.jpg

• Like 1

Getting there. You need to round the end of the cod or I'll hear you scream every time you walk at a troop. 

Keep up the good work :duim: 

• Like 2

I would trim a little more from the bottom sides of the back plate

Comparision

Hiz0OgK.jpg

gallery_12157_59_68929.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Hopefully I can start strapping tomorrow!

Are you doing the "classic" strapping system (screws/brackets) on the torso pieces or elastic/nylon/snaps?

10 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Are you doing the "classic" strapping system (screws/brackets) on the torso pieces or elastic/nylon/snaps?

The classic strapping pack came with the kit and I was thinking about using that one as it may fit the kit well.  But I was also meaning to ask, would there be a benefit to using another strapping method or is it just preference?  

• Like 1