Oldracer’s SDS ANH HERO build

Greg Sickmeier

TK Hero build updates yet to do; back to my SDS TK Hero helmet to-do list

It has 4 ear-bar earpieces; it should be 3 for a Hero configuration to meet L3 Centurion CRL specs.

At least SDS got the screws count right.

I'm striking out so far on a USA source.

Paul at Troopermaster in the UK is checking on availability of bright white pieces.

It's been pointed out I need to trim the brow piece for the angle to line up with the back of the grey trapezoid.

Also, I don't need it for L1 approval, but do the other helmet graphics have to be painted vs. decaled?

QIlFlOY.jpg

1 hour ago, Oldracer said:

TK Hero build updates yet to do; large & small buttons plates on Ab armor.

Not sure what to do here. 

The SDS ab plate has separate buttons glued on.

To meet L3 CRL, they have to be integral.  

I've got some from Trooper Bay but notice the rather obvious difference in the whites.

I have already sourced the Humbro #14 French Blue Gloss and #5 Dark Admiral Grey Gloss for the buttons.

Guidance please.

CQHQlEP.jpg

This is the issue using different makers parts the color difference can be quite noticeable 

I guess if you wanted to do all the work you could fill the gap between the button and plate, fill with bondo, milliput or some other filler, then sand and paint. 

7 minutes ago, Oldracer said:

TK Hero build updates yet to do; back to my SDS TK Hero helmet to-do list

It has 4 ear-bar earpieces; it should be 3 for a Hero configuration to meet L3 Centurion CRL specs.

At least SDS got the screws count right.

I'm striking out so far on a USA source.

Paul at Troopermaster in the UK is checking on availability of bright white pieces.

Also, I don't need it for L1 approval, but do the other helmet graphics have to be painted vs. decaled?

QIlFlOY.jpg

ATA used to supply Hero ears if requested, unfortunately with his passing they aren't available BUT ATA used to send out 2 sets of ears, you could perhaps but a wanted to buy post up, you may get lucky. Again this issue could be the shade of white not matching.

• Ideally, the tube stripes are positioned approximately a pencil width from the side of the cheek.
  • Tears/traps are hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details). 

Tube stripes also need to appear hand painted.

A sneaky trick is with the black lines draw over with a permanent marker so they appear painted.

If you want to use decals I'd suggest Dave M from trooperbay https://www.trooperbay.com/products/dave-m-helmet-hand-painted-look-decals-anh-stormtrooper-star-wars-cosplay?_pos=1&_psq=decals+dave+m&_ss=e&_v=1.0

il_fullxfull.1127367822_ojrx.jpg?v=16525

il_fullxfull.1609672939_tn3o.jpg?v=16525

OK troopers, I'm impressed with some of the replies so far.  THANKS!

This place rocks :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Just a reminder, I am presently trying to get my first level approval for initial entry into the 501st Legion, Bloodfin Garrison of the Indiana realm.

As I'm doing modifications to my SDS kit, I'm trying to shoot for an eventual application for Centurion level, but not yet.

For instance, I am not reworking the biceps, forearms, thighs & shins to the butt & cover strip configuration just yet.

I did flip the Velcro on the right shin so the overlap faces inward, not outward as it came from SDS.

Oh, for your tactical enjoyment, here's some pics of my work space; 22'-3.5" (6.8 m) work bench.

Various adult refreshments are strategically located :pint1:

Maybe I need to host a Build Party some day...

vAOnXNT.jpg

1uwvbJt.jpg

Edited by Oldracer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Oldracer said:

TK Hero build updates yet to do; Thermo Detonator

It appears the mounting brackets from SDS are too narrow.

I should be able to fabricate the correct width from Ukswrath's build thread.

The ABS cover piece is about 1/2" too long. Do I try to unglue it to shorten it?

Clips should be:

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.

Also take note with the clips, the ends touching the control panel are sharp corners, not rounded like the other ends ;) 

gallery_12157_59_153130.jpggallery_12157_59_144574.jpg

The ABS cover piece is about 1/2" too long. Do I try to unglue it to shorten it? Depends how they have been glued, I'm not sure what glue SDS uses, you may want to reach out and check, if it's a permanent glue you may destroy the plate trying to remove it

References 

TD measurements.jpg

Disregard the black paint

gallery_12157_51_24375.jpg

There is also some leeway on the length

• The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).

26 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Clips should be:

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.

Also take note with the clips, the ends touching the control panel are sharp corners, not rounded like the other ends ;) 

See my comments below. Greg

gallery_12157_59_153130.jpggallery_12157_59_144574.jpg

The ABS cover piece is about 1/2" too long. Do I try to unglue it to shorten it? Depends how they have been glued, I'm not sure what glue SDS uses, you may want to reach out and check, if it's a permanent glue you may destroy the plate trying to remove it

OK, I just measured mine and it's exactly 4.75 inches long. I'm also good on the other dimentions.

Somewhere else on this site is an image showing it to be 4.25" long, ummm...

Do the wider straps end at the ABS plate?

References 

TD measurements.jpg

Disregard the black paint

gallery_12157_51_24375.jpg

There is also some leeway on the length

• The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).

Edited by Oldracer

40 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

ATA used to supply Hero ears if requested, unfortunately with his passing they aren't available BUT ATA used to send out 2 sets of ears, you could perhaps but a wanted to buy post up, you may get lucky. Again this issue could be the shade of white not matching.

• Ideally, the tube stripes are positioned approximately a pencil width from the side of the cheek.
  • Tears/traps are hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details). 

Tube stripes also need to appear hand painted.

Am I OK as is for Level 1 approval?

A sneaky trick is with the black lines draw over with a permanent marker so they appear painted.

If you want to use decals I'd suggest Dave M from trooperbay https://www.trooperbay.com/products/dave-m-helmet-hand-painted-look-decals-anh-stormtrooper-star-wars-cosplay?_pos=1&_psq=decals+dave+m&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I'm confused, I already have decals on this helmet; don't understand this suggestion... Greg

40 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

il_fullxfull.1609672939_tn3o.jpg?v=16525

Somewhere else on this site is an image showing it to be 4.25" long, ummm...

I've only ever used those references I posted, not sure about the 4.25" BUT the CRL does say approximately ;) 

Do the wider straps end at the ABS plate?

The clips end at the control panel plate 

Some more references here

Am I OK as is for Level 1 approval?

You should be but it's entirely up to your GML.

These are L2 and L3 requirements 

• Tears/traps are hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details). 

I'm confused, I already have decals on this helmet; don't understand this suggestion... Greg

Your decals do not appear hand painted, the Dave M decals appear hand painted, lines are not perfectly straight, tube stripes different shapes and thicknesses

These are Dave M available from trooperbay, compare these with your helmet.

• 1 month later...

My modified SDS ANH Hero Stormtrooper kit was approved by the Bloodfin Garrison's Membership Liason on Oct 30, 2022 to Level One CRL specifications. Thanks Scott!

My newly assigned 501st Legion membership number is TK-42727 

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with guidance getting my SDS TK kit modified to get this first level of approval.

Next step is to start aiming for Level Two & Level Three Centurion approvals.

MHUvduT.jpg

Edited by Greg Sickmeier
Fixed image
  • Like 1

Congratulations and welcome to the ranks trooper.

SDS does require some updates for higher levels, a couple of threads on SDS

On 11/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

Congrats Greg! And I gotta ask about your bike and the jumpsuit and other accessories on the wall shown in your earlier post.

Hey Caleb, that’s one of 7 parked in the basement; 3 Ducati’s, 2 Yamaha R1s, the ‘07 Repsol & a ‘73 CB350. The leathers you see are from my AMA Pro Superbike racing days. What you can’t see in that photo is 41 more suits, about 40 helmets, lots on boots & gloves.

I am a motorcycle gear junky! :smiley-sw013: