Daryl’s Denuo Novo FOTK build

daryldoak

Great work. you're a little ahead of me in the process.
I found it hard getting the tiny air bubble out of the abs slurry.
I finally used a 25mm artist paint brush to apply the slurry in thin layers like paint.

still think how i'm going to attach the webbing to the amour.

photo_2023-02-11_18-46-23.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aero said:

I found it hard getting the tiny air bubble out of the abs slurry

It can depend on the ABS as well as the acetone used, some slurry heats while drying, as you did I found thinner layers reduced the tiny bubbles :duim:

Some excellent strapping advice in Tony's @ukswrath FOTK build

• Like 3

More strapping.

After everything dried I gave the torso a test fit:

lZqsMBsl.jpg

h9Td9ill.jpg

I think this is going to work!

Then I added straps from the spine plate to the butt plate, using a technique from equuspolo (Ardeshir), leaving the proper gap for the belt:

RqRyKN7l.jpg

lhdoyJNl.jpg

Glued the greeblies on the chest:

2TqW4gTl.jpg?1

• Like 3

Removed the tabs on the back of the torso so the spine/butt will sit better:

p7k672ml.jpg

7g7d71Ul.jpg

Added elastic to inside of the butt, and a snap plate to the inside of the cod, for the crotch strap:

ex9oVIGl.jpg

I’ll add the female snap to the strap once I can put everything on and can get it the correct length.

Edited by daryldoak
  • Like 4

Drilled the holes for the ab boxes:

ojx7xFJl.jpg

Then attached them:

CGsKQRPl.jpg

cnJswaQl.jpg

USE EXTREME CAUTION when drilling the pilot holes in the boxes and screwing in the screws, the screws are too long for most of these boxes!!  I added washers to most of them.

• Like 2

Time to start thinking about making the belt.

First I added some hook Velcro to the front tab and side tabs, since the back of the belt is lined with loop Velcro, then wrapped the belt around:

NKUnUe3l.jpg

It is huge and needs to be shortened:

Tbr83A0l.jpg

This will include unstitching some of the Velcro on the back of the belt, and cutting the rubber.  Not ready for that today.

So I moved on to more strapping.  I’m going to reuse my garter belt from my ANH Stunt TK (top right in picture), so I made four looped straps that will have buckles on the bottom for adjusting the thighs (top left in picture). And I attached the buckles to elastics that will go inside the shoulder bells (bottom left in picture):

58vxpQbl.jpg

I’ll attach these inside the shoulder bells once I figure out how low the biceps needs to hang.

• Like 5

Glued the biceps closed:

sjTfk3al.jpg

Drilled the holes for the “kit-kats”:

AFwYuVkl.jpg

CAUTION the guide holes on the template are incorrect!  You can see the difference in the above picture.

Added them:

zOltfyql.jpg

USE EXTREME CAUTION when drilling the pilot holes in the kit-kats and screwing in the screws, the screws are too long for these!!  I added washers to them.

Also, I highly recommend adding these before gluing the shins.  It is really hard to screw them in after the shins have been assembled.

• Like 4

I added some Velcro to the center chest and the sides so I could do a rough fit test of the torso with the chest:

qEyxJYDl.jpg

Then I went about getting the outer chest’s upper tips to properly “close”.  I used a heat gun and very slowly “bent” the tips so they would lay nicely on the inner chest.  It took a few applications to get it, but I think it turned out really nicely.  USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH THE HEAT GUN!  I used one quite a bit on my ANH Stunt TK, so I was comfortable with it.

Then I built up the inside with scrap ABS so that the Velcro would adhere properly between the inner and outer chest pieces:

JHMPTN3l.jpg

Then added the Velcro and put them together:

kYDF7xDl.jpg

YqYNMPxl.jpg

I’m happy with how it turned out.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Nice work, Hope it works great !   I had to change the velcro for Magnets. The pressure when placed the chest piece  made it pop up.

I think it will since I used the heat gun to bend the tips and the Velcro isn’t really doing much except holding in place.

• Like 1

Time to tackle the belt build.

Started by printing the belt box template sheet.  CAUTION: Even though the template is 1:1, the boxes printed on the sheet are too small, and some of the center holes are not centered.  You can see the pencil lines I drew on the template:

ZDHQkYtl.jpg

Next I put the belt on the torso, with the spine and butt plate attached, in order to size the belt.  It’s way too big for me:

Tbr83A0l.jpg

So I marked the proper size and started to unstitch the Velcro and strapping from the back of the rubber.  Then I used some clips to mock-up the size.  The top piece is the rubber belt, the bottom piece is the Velcro:

dLPHyz3l.jpg

Then I cut the Velcro and strapping and then used some E6000 the reattach the strapping at the proper sizing:

CyNq8obl.jpg

Then I cut the rubber to the end of the male clip.  This shows how much I cut off of each:

EpNdtmvl.jpg

Then glued a short piece over the female clip:

KwOnhXel.jpg

Then using the templates I marked the holes and used my leather hole punch to make the holes:

mRvLaM8l.jpg

This is assembled, but I haven’t painted these resin boxes yet:

jntekZel.jpg

On the armor:

H4nhWqSl.jpg

1IFVewTl.jpg

3liastol.jpg

Bought a replacement for the large pouch from Trooperbay today, since the DN large pouch is too small for the ABS front panel.

Someone in my garrison mentioned that he couldn’t move his head in the armor with the helmet on, so I did a test:

g48VxwIl.jpg

Looks like I’ll be good.

Edited by daryldoak
  • Like 4

Looking good, the shorter the person the less head room they have, I can still move but not a lot when wearing a pauldron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daryl,

do you have an excessive gap around your leg and the shin/calf armour?

I'm not sure what the best way to tackle this is.

Do you pack out the inside of the gasket with some foam or modify the armour?

Great build so far! Question regarding paint. I've you're using Behr High Gloss (I know many have). What particular type of Behr paint is it? I've noticed they have quite a few. Oil based? Water based? And how will you apply? I'm assuming airbrush? If so, what kind? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chaps199393 said:

Great build so far! Question regarding paint. I've you're using Behr High Gloss (I know many have). What particular type of Behr paint is it? I've noticed they have quite a few. Oil based? Water based? And how will you apply? I'm assuming airbrush? If so, what kind? 

Thanks!

Here is what I’m using, spray can.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-12-oz-52-White-Gloss-Interior-Exterior-Spray-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-Aerosol-B001944/310275621

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 1:39 AM, daryldoak said:

Someone in my garrison mentioned that he couldn’t move his head in the armor with the helmet on, so I did a test:

g48VxwIl.jpg

Looks like I’ll be good.

Keep in mind that when wearing the gaskets they will raise the armor closer to the helmet. Looks like there still will be some clearence but perhaps not by much. Just thought I mention it for those following along:) Now…isn’t it time for a build update?:popcorn:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that when wearing the gaskets they will raise the armor closer to the helmet. Looks like there still will be some clearence but perhaps not by much. Just thought I mention it for those following along Now…isn’t it time for a build update?:popcorn:

Yeah honestly the head mobility in this one isn’t the best and it’s because of the freaking size of the chin. You either sacrifice seeing through eyes to have helmet sit higher or you sacrifice head mobility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk