1st build. WTF TK. Issues aligning ab & kidney plates on left

Ideally the notch should align with the bottom ridge, I would match your bottoms notches to the armor and trim the top to suit
RkG2gDg.jpg

References
gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg
gallery_12157_59_167453.jpg
gallery_12157_59_61278.jpg

A great build for those of short stature

@TheSwede My plates are aligned like the first 2 shots here, as recommended by gmrhodes13.

This appears to contradict your post unless I’ve misunderstood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I can say is,  to alligne the armor that way is not how it’s supposed to be. I think Glen meant the same but his photos wasn’t the best to show this. Look att the ones I included, it’s of the original armor.

• Like 1

All I can say is,  to alligne the armor that way is not how it’s supposed to be. I think Glen meant the same but his photos wasn’t the best to show this. Look att the ones I included, it’s of the original armor.

Thank you.

Damn, that really sucks. Wish I’d known sooner. If I tried to adapt my armour to the way that you’ve indicated (the correct way) it would make it too long for my 5’8” frame. Unless I add an inch on the bottom of the kidney and take an inch off the butt. But I’m worried it would be too weak as there’s a lot stress in those areas.

I guess I can’t get Centurion. Is it likely I could pass IE with it this way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MintImperial said:

I guess I can’t get Centurion. Is it likely I could pass IE with it this way?

You can, fill in the notch with a piece of abs and cover the seam with abs paste which basicly is dissolved bits of abs in acetone.  Or you can try this option: 

You got this:duim:

• Like 1

So the notch is not required?

I can easily fill it in the way you suggested, but do I need to add a strip beneath and recreate the notch lower down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, MintImperial said:

So the notch is not required?

I can easily fill it in the way you suggested, but do I need to add a strip beneath and recreate the notch lower down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notch is not required , it was present on the original armor but for Centurion it’s optional :salute:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hello. Been away for a lonnnnng time.

Can I please confirm that, if I fill the notches as mocked up in these badly photoshopped images, these should be approvable for Centurion?

52630893350_ef11817036_o_d.jpg

52629937497_b0dd72cd22_o_d.jpg

That would up to the DO's, I will tag them and hopefully you will get a reply soon @Deployment Officer Team

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:56 AM, MintImperial said:

Hello. Been away for a lonnnnng time.

Can I please confirm that, if I fill the notches as mocked up in these badly photoshopped images, these should be approvable for Centurion?

52630893350_ef11817036_o_d.jpg

52629937497_b0dd72cd22_o_d.jpg

Hi James, I don't see any problem If you can fill the notches.      CORRECTED   Thank you @TheSwede

As the CRL states:  

Abdominal and Kidney Plate align horizontally at top

Cut-out notches at the bottom of right and left sides of the Kidney Armor are optional.
If present, each notch is approximately 22 mm tall and the back of the notch ideally is aligned with the front edges of the Posterior Armor plate..

If difficult to check if the Ab and kidney are aligned at top and how that section looks on you once you put it on. 

As noted by Daniel, the Notch must be aligned with the end of the Ab plate and not the ridge  (my eyes are lying me I'm sorry  :crushcomputer:

Looking at you old prior photos , if the notches you have are aprox 22 mm tall , they looks ok for Centurion. Once again, the AB and Kidney armor must be aligned at top.

It would be great if you can post a photo suited up from the sides.  AS THIS STAND OF YOUR ARMOR ,  YOU SHOULD FILL THE NOTCHES FOR CENTURION LEVEL.

YOUR PHOTPSHOPPED IMAGES ARE OK.                    I apologize again. 

• Like 3

Great to see you back at it:duim:

@Deployment Officer Team as this particular armor stand as of right now it would make it look better not having the notch. 
One can see that the notch should alligne with the end of the ab plate and not at the ridge as previously stated in this thread.

lucasfilm reference.

WJ3lP8n.jpg

RS suit reference:

4JXcXDI.jpg

FISD reference:

Chbq2Gn.jpg

This is mostly covered by the belt anyways so why bother right?  Yeah but…as we talk about the higher levels I feel it’s important to let people know how the original armor was put together and how it looks :salute:

• Like 3

En 17/1/2023 a las 17:10, TheSwede dijo:

@Deployment Officer Team as this particular armor stand as of right now it would make it look better not having the notch. 
One can see that the notch should alligne with the end of the ab plate and not at the ridge as previously stated in this thread.

lucasfilm reference.

WJ3lP8n.jpg

RS suit reference:

4JXcXDI.jpg

FISD reference:

Chbq2Gn.jpg

This is mostly covered by the belt anyways so why bother right?  Yeah but…as we talk about the higher levels I feel it’s important to let people know how the original armor was put together and how it looks :salute:

Seeing the cut and the shape that the armor has now, I think a good solution would be to leave it as the images retouched with Photoshop :duim:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

lucasfilm reference.

WJ3lP8n.jpg

RS suit reference:

4JXcXDI.jpg

FISD reference:

Chbq2Gn.jpg

@MintImperial James, This is correct,  thank you Daniel @TheSwede 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the guidance.

I will fill in the notches.

Just for your reference, here’s how the armour currently looks suited up.

52635237111_fa7bff4086_o_d.jpg

52635721403_baaab1dd05_o_d.jpg

And the current notches are too deep:

52635721653_4b7a55dc9b_o_d.jpg

52635237481_85c7913fe4_o_d.jpg

• Like 1

Keep at it James! You got this! Great to see you back at it after an extended period away! I know all about that myself, with my build taking three years to complete! patience is key! You already have wearable armor, which is great progress!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve filled my notches in with ABS scraps and ABS paste.

But they’re not really very buenos notches.

After sanding once already, I think I’m going to have to take another pass at it with the paste.

Is it worth dipping my finger in acetone and wiping over each seam just once?

I’ve had some success with that technique in the past but you have to be brave.

52676906295_be232a39ff_o_d.jpg

52676906190_0fa747520c_o_d.jpg

52676477441_859a162fa9_o_d.jpg

52676906135_789bca82ae_o_d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been through the process twice now and the results look exactly the same.
I’m actually really disappointed.

There seems to be a dark line underneath and every time I got close to sanding the surface flush it starts to show through.

Not sure if I had a pencil mark on there before or what.

Would the result below be good enough to get me through (at least basic) approval?

A bit disheartened, to be honest.

52692359475_0503cd06e1_o_d.jpg

52692434318_b0e7965f65_o_d.jpg

52691425417_c65f7b2f40_o_d.jpg

52692211519_2f4193c306_o_d.jpg

I've encountered this a few times, appears once you sand through the skin the internal color can change, also may find very small pin holes. I managed to mix up some waterbased acrylic to closely match the armor color and touch up.

I would see how it looks being worn and see were the belt will sit, you won't need to supply a close up of this so it may not even be seen

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, I also find adding in thin coats I get less air bubbles, something to do with the acetone curing the ABS ;) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've encountered this a few times, appears once you sand through the skin the internal color can change, also may find very small pin holes. I managed to mix up some waterbased acrylic to closely match the armor color and touch up.

I would see how it looks being worn and see were the belt will sit, you won't need to supply a close up of this so it may not even be seen

That’s such a relief. Thank you.

Yes, it’s totally hidden by the belt but I may try your paint trick, probably just spotting it with some white to see if it lifts the shadow.

I wouldn’t have though of that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

I agree what Glen suggested. ( a little battle damage is allowed  ;))  and   I'm afraid  If you keep on sanding and applying abs paste the cure could be  worse than the ill 

Thanks Mario. Glad to know a little imperfection is ok.

• Like 1