Odds ‘n Ends WIP pics from Omaha

Omaha Joe

Got word very recently that my RWA Creations kit is on its way and should be here the beginning of next week...  Figured I’d preemptively kick off a page to post progress/WIP pics of the build :duim:

Not all that much to show just yet, but I have acquired a few items that’ll come in handy when the time comes...!

51178477908_0bb9f7b45c_b.jpg

Quick question right outta the gate, is there a preferred glue/adhesive for fixing the rubber hand plates to the black rubber gloves..?  The hand plates/gloves I ordered came already attached and were fine, except the plates seemed a little big to me so I removed them, trimmed them, and hit them with a couple coats of white...  I’m guessing E-6000 for its flexibility being used in such an actively mobility/flexibility prone location..?

• Like 2

Congrats on your RWA purchase, Joe, and looking forward to following your build!  I have a tutorial here that will help with the hand guards.  Be sure to post lots of photos, but more importantly be sure to ask ANY question you may have (no matter how small you think it is), especially if you have any doubts.  We are here to help!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

Congrats on your RWA purchase, Joe, and looking forward to following your build!  I have a tutorial here that will help with the hand guards.  Be sure to post lots of photos, but more importantly be sure to ask ANY question you may have (no matter how small you think it is), especially if you have any doubts.  We are here to help!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thank you so much for the tutorial link!!

2 hours ago, Omaha Joe said:

Thank you so much for the tutorial link!!

I have a lot more that may help, located under my signature below.

• Like 1

Oh happy days, that excited feeling, then the panic sets in, "Where do I start", looking forward to seeing your build, good luck

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Oh happy days, that excited feeling, then the panic sets in, "Where do I start", looking forward to seeing your build, good luck

Hahahahaha!!  exactly!! :shok:

• Like 1

overwhelmed at the sheer abundance of molded ABS in front of me, I figured I’d ease my way into TK land...  simple measuring, trimming, sanding...

51189792075_35f0a25aa3_b.jpg

not E-6000’d quite yet, but a decent start nonetheless...  then I hit the ammo belts and belt boxes with  little trim...

51188925053_7d8f81779b_b.jpg51189769765_e051d721ba_b.jpg

...then, like never forgetting how to ride a bicycle, I jumped back into it.  Tackled the faceplate trimming; eyes, teeth, brow trim, and riveted the back and faceplate...

51188941088_1f42b26102_b.jpg51189473524_c5b93ca6a2_b.jpg

got a little more trimming and fitting of the ears, fitting of the mic tips, trimming the opening, and sizing the s-trim, but all in all off to a confident start

51189473604_1375270e78_b.jpg

• Like 2

Off to a good start, here are some measurements for the detonator which may be of help

916269288_TDmeasurements(1).thumb.jpg.e865042b8ff9a40ac7cd855d367e2146.jpg1898760007_TDmeasurements(2).jpg.868b9fb43196c77cd340314af620c2c9.jpg

• Like 1

nothing all that exciting; lotta trimming and sanding, trimming and sanding...  but I was able to get the helmet assembled, hoping to get some detail painting done with the traps, tubes, etc...

...coming along though, slowly but surely 

51203665991_506d1eeec1_b.jpg51204439824_ccb7f9b317_b.jpg51202947297_2e43b9e3c6_b.jpg

• Like 3

Quick question regarding the paint on the teeth. I’ve come across a handful of EIB requests where a note has been made about the paint needing to remain inside the teeth area, but some of the examples vs. the reference photos seem extremely similar and I was unable to distinguish what would and wouldn’t be acceptable... I realize all of my teeth aren’t yet painted, I was just checking to see if I was on the right path so far with where the paint will need to be for Centurion Level down the road..?

51205694207_a2f4f68b87_b.jpg

42 minutes ago, Omaha Joe said:

I was just checking to see if I was on the right path so far with where the paint will need to be for Centurion Level down the road

Hi Joe, you're on the right path mate!  You may want to check the center lower tooth paint, with just a bit excess.  Using some non Acetone remover on a toothpick could make the deal.

ecKxH9H.jpg?1

Reference Images

CJhfaii.jpg?1

Keep on doing a great work !!! :jc_doublethumbup:

got some painting done on the helmet; added the tube stripes, traps, tears, ear bars, vocoder...  black pinstripes in the traps and tears, ear screws painted white...  still working on the mic tips/screens, hoping to be near finished with the exterior of the bucket by the end of the weekend...

51210690342_070455efa4_b.jpg51212459970_b54d23b713_b.jpg

Great job on this helmet so far, trooper. The paint work is looking excellent. :-)

If you still have the second set of ears that came with the helmet, I’d maybe consider trying a slimmer version of the right ear (when worn). As below, it looks like your’s still has quite a bit of return edge/flashing within the curve, making this side look a little thick compared with the other side.

3c748a89b7d4a3e007ef842a7ccb70ec.png

As I say, not a big deal, just something that caught my eye. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

• Like 2

Thank you, Dan..!!  And thank you for the feedback!!  As luck would have it, I do still have the extra right ear, and that is definitely something that’s been catching my eye every time I see it, especially toward the bottom of the tube; the ear piece itself looks too thick where it meets and gets tucked into the s-trim...  That bottom screw also doesn’t sit as flush as I’d like...  I think I’m gonna tinker with the existing ear and see if maybe taking some of that extra flash off the front will slim that down a bit...  I know the holes are already drilled and that could affect how it sits on the back, but worse case scenario I replace the ear entirely and just match the existing screw holes to the new ear.  ;)

• Like 3

belt’s almost finished; just have to glue on the rivet covers and I’ll probably hit the belt box straps with a little glue or even tape too, to keep them in place and avoid any sliding...

51212904958_cfd229eb84_b.jpg

• Like 1