Jakob's RWA ANH stunt build (aiming for centurion)

Yacorp

Hello folks,

I finally opened that big brown box that's been waiting in my room for the last 2 weeks already. I've been held up by finishing my bachelor thesis and then spent several days in awe of the building process before i dared to unpack all the packages, that have rolled in here within the past month. Ross armor looks really great and I now feel prepared for my first steps in assembling it. Undersuit, boots and gloves have already made their way to me, so the build may begin. Only missing ingredient is the blaster, unfortunatelly doopydoos have been out of order for over a month now, and I can't even order one.

I set up my workspace and got a big trip to the hardware store planned tomorrow to get all those fancy tools for working with ABS. Once I get some lexan scissors I feel like I won't be stopped for a while, all thanks to Ross tutorials of course :)

The first and only thing i managed to get done without tools (it's sunday and all shops are closed) are the handguards, I hope the glue on these still holds tight tomorrow.

Of course I' ve made some pictures of the entire thing

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

Hi Jakob, welcome to FISD and congratulations for you BBB day !! Enjoy looking at those amount of pieces :56pullhair: .

Looking forward for your progress. Post photos, ask questions and remember "Measure twice or more, cut and glue just once"

We are here to help.  :salute:

Noting better than BBB photos, good luck with the build, measure twice and cut once. If you are not aware we have a gallery section for references if you get stuck https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Thanks, for the support troopers!

Sadly no store that is anywhere near my area offers lexan scissors. Literally everything else i have been able to aquire, but not the one tool I need for starting -.-

Thus i ordered the scissors online yesterday, and spent today with cutting cover stripes. With a little luck my scissors will arrive here tomorrow.

Hi all,

at least the curved scissores arrived today, so i could get going with my first really busy day in the workshop. I've trimmed all the big torso parts, and already moved on to the legs. I started grinding the cutlines with a sanding block, but i'm not quite happy with the result. There seem to be more tiny pieces coming of the sanding block, than fibres of my armor.

I guess i'll learn to use a dremel tomorrow, i'll be needing it for the corners anyways. Hopefully the dremel will help me tidy up those scruffy-looking edges.

Or should i try use normal sandpaper on these instead of going in with the dremel?

I'd love some feedback on my return edges. Are those fine on the kidney plate? I've tried to go for the thickness i allowed there, on the other torso parts as well. The return edge on the sniper knee probably needs to be smaller doesn't it?

Also shall I do a return edge for the bottom end of the diaper?, or just cut it clean and just leave small curves in the 2 corners?

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy moving out of my old appartement this week, and the new one is still a complete mess, but I got back to working on the trooper today. The legs are now fully trimmed, and I started with some of the smaller parts. For tomorrow, Instead of continuing with trimming I think I'll start with gluing the legs, since I know that there will be lots of time left for trimming, when i'm waiting for glue to dry.

IMG_4558.JPG

• Like 1

hey folks,

i've made some progress with the armor over the past days. The rear  coverstrips are currently glueing on my shins, and i glued up the missing thigh as well. Thus i've moved upwards, towards the arms. I got the biceps parts all taped together and started with the forearms. These however are quite hard for me to size up. The forearm parts are  to long for me, as soon as i bend my arm, these parts will be pushed up the back of my hands. I've tried to get this captured in the second picture. When shortening the forearms, would it be better to cut something of the wrist end, or rather the end that points towards my ellbow?

img_4767.JPG

Looks like your images isn't showing, are you using an online free image host, many of us use Imgur, just upload your images then copy the "direct link" into your post. 

Lbxmrqu.jpg

I don't get the restrictions for how big an attached picture on this forum may be at all. they seem to randomly change with every post

Edited by Yacorp
i just signed in to imgur to post this picture

44 minutes ago, Yacorp said:

hey folks,

i've made some progress with the armor over the past days. The rear  coverstrips are currently glueing on my shins, and i glued up the missing thigh as well. Thus i've moved upwards, towards the arms. I got the biceps parts all taped together and started with the forearms. These however are quite hard for me to size up. The forearm parts are  to long for me, as soon as i bend my arm, these parts will be pushed up the back of my hands. I've tried to get this captured in the second picture. When shortening the forearms, would it be better to cut something of the wrist end, or rather the end that points towards my ellbow?

img_4767.JPG

Hi Jakob, you will probably need to trim a bit the forearm form the wrist end  (by the way,for L3 there's no return edge at the wrist end) but I would recommend to do it till the end, when you have your final inner clothes to get a better fit.  Once you cut it's difficult to restore.

Ar70LIR.jpg

Reference image

K8GiwgN.jpg?1

The arms are more or less done now, and I'm now finishing up the legs. The sniper knee is causing me lots of trouble. The top ends will hardly allign with the shin, and there is an enormous gab between the lower end of the sniper knee and the shin plate. Also the two pieces of plastic only touch each other on three tiny points (down left, down right and the top of the shin) which will make it impossible to creat a stable bond when glueing. All these problems seem to originate from the huge difference between how broad the central part of the shin and the sniper knee are. I've illustrated this in the final picture.

lyHhsBf.jpg

kjz0GHQ.jpgMseGT3p.jpgpERk1aC.jpgnv1GMVB.jpg

Edited by Yacorp

Hi Jakob, definitely the Sniper knee is a headache :56pullhair:, but not imposible to deal with. It's a "Clamps Squad Mission " :laugh1:  lokk at the example photos I attached 

HB12vmF.jpg?1   pvvfo5Q.jpg?2   I1BEaPV.jpg?1

Additional, you can add a small piece of ABS plastic between the Sniper knee and the front cover strip to fill de gap.

Cxq5ryb.jpg

hope this can give some idea of what todo.  cheers :salute:

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures!

The clamps squad is on its way, securing the knee. I've grinded of the top of my coverstrip allmost entirely, which allows me not only to bring the knee plat close to the shin, thus reducing the gap, it also creates a nice area for glueing. All the clamps definitely help to get wider glueing areas on the sides. Glueing would now be possible I think.

The gap on the low end of the sniper knee is about 7 mm wide, shortening it any more will bring the top sides out of allinment with the shin tops. Will this placement be okey? I feel like I shouldn't have cut of all the return edge on the down side of the knee plate. If the plate needs to be repositioned/cut any more I need to know where exactly to do this.

If needed, do you think a boiling water treatment could help to further bend the side parts?

sR4GDNQ.jpg7pSMwUh.jpg99kS0oc.jpghbvsu0W.jpg5Htcm9J.jpg

• Like 1

On a different matter I measured my TD clips that I ordered from RWA, along with the rest of the armor and they are 30mm wide, while in the CRL it is stated they should be 25mm. Also the entire tube with the caps on is about 195mm long and it should be 190mm, just the same 5mm to much. While I can cut something of the tube, but there really isn't much that i can do about the TD clips.  Have there been some recent changes on the CRLs on this? It just doesn't seem to make sense to me that a part that is created specifically for stormtrooper armor would be this much of in size. Ross has been a vetted maker for a while now, and surely there must be lots of people that are wearing his TD clips?

8VQeqTt.jpgg3nJhll.jpg

gallery_12157_59_205488.thumb.jpg.e7cc6e1b50d09c8bf7bef3ec6cfe2928.jpg

• Measurements given in this document are intended to be approximate and generalized; not criteria for approval.

vor 17 Minuten schrieb gmrhodes13:

gallery_12157_59_205488.thumb.jpg.e7cc6e1b50d09c8bf7bef3ec6cfe2928.jpg

• Measurements given in this document are intended to be approximate and generalized; not criteria for approval.

I thought that refered to something like me making my own TD clip and ending up with say 24mm instead of 25mm. Purchasing a piece that a professional created solely for this purpose I assumed the CRLs would be taken as a template for the production of the piece. Given that 3mm is such a round number that clearly wasn't the case, and 30mm instead of 25mm is 20% to much after all.

But since you say it's okay I'm quite relieved.