Skinny guys and TK kits

skitchie98

Hey all! Got an early Christmas present in the form of a receipt for an ANH stunt kit from Paul over at TM! This is my first kit and I'm BEYOND excited to get to join the ranks of the 501st as well as make some great memories for myself and others.

I do have some trepidations, however. In a nutshell, I fit the height for the kits at around 5'10", but am way on the skinny side, especially in the waist at 30".

I've seen talk of people padding armor, and others bending it w/ a heat gun. What would you folks reccommend for someone in my position? If you're in the same boat as me, what did you/are you doing to offset it?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Hey buddy. Congrats on an amazing gift!!

I’m around your height and 30/32 waist (depending on the make of jeans etc) and it’s no trouble. You’re about the ideal size for a TK. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

I also have a skinny frame, I have pieces of foam in places, arms, biceps and behind ab to fill up gaps and stop any movement, I'm also 30 waist so I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck

Yep, skinny here too. You wont have any problems sizing armour perfectly.

Congratulations and i look forward to seeing you as an approved TK.

Congratulations on this Stormtrooper kit, Dixon. In my opinion, the best one you can get. Good choice.

Don't worry about being skinny, indeed that is an advantage if you aim to look screen-accurate when wearing your OT TK armor.

Feel free to start a build thread once you received your BBB (big brown box) and we will help you with your build.

In the meantime, ask any question you have. :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on this Stormtrooper kit, Dixon. In my opinion, the best one you can get. Good choice.
Don't worry about being skinny, indeed that is an advantage if you aim to look screen-accurate when wearing your OT TK armor.
Feel free to start a build thread once you received your BBB (big brown box) and we will help you with your build.
In the meantime, ask any question you have.

Thank you! I can't wait, looking forward to the coming weeks!!

Welcome to the FISD, Dixon!  First, congrats on your TM armor purchase.. you are going to be more than happy with it I promise.  While you anxiously await BBB day, I recommend getting all of the supplies you will need in place.  Also, I would definitely look over some of the existing build threads.  This will give you an idea of what you've got yourself into, lol.

As Tino mentioned, I always suggest starting your own build thread.  That way, you can ask all the questions you want to (the more the better) as well as post lots (and lots) of photos during your build.  Photos are especially important if you run into an issue.. they really are worth a thousand words.

I have some tutorials under my avatar below that may help, but always feel free to ask any questions you may have.  We are here for ya'!

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD, Dixon!  First, congrats on your TM armor purchase.. you are going to be more than happy with it I promise.  While you anxiously await BBB day, I recommend getting all of the supplies you will need in place.  Also, I would definitely look over some of the existing build threads.  This will give you an idea of what you've got yourself into, lol.
As Tino mentioned, I always suggest starting your own build thread.  That way, you can ask all the questions you want to (the more the better) as well as post lots (and lots) of photos during your build.  Photos are especially important if you run into an issue.. they really are worth a thousand words.
I have some tutorials under my avatar below that may help, but always feel free to ask any questions you may have.  We are here for ya'!

Fantastic! Thank you for the helpful info. I've been pouring through other build and TK pre approval threads to help prepare, as well as watching a myriad of tutorials on YouTube.

Since neither me nor my girlfriend have ever done handiwork aside from assembling a bed frame, we're in the process of getting all the tools and whatnot that we'll need in the meantime.

Thanks again for reaching out, in the meantime I'll be a good trooper and (im)patiently await BBB day! Can't wait to report future progress.

Having an understanding girlfriend is half the battle, lol.  Although it's certainly not required, I hope you will consider aiming for the higher levels of screen accuracy (Expert Infantry and Centurion).  Doing this during your build is much easier than doing it after, and with a TM kit and very little extra work this is totally achievable.  This thread will help.

Again, having all of your supplies in place will serve you well.  Nothing worse that needing something and then having to go out and buy or order it to stop a build in it's tracks.

If I could offer some advice, it would be:

1.  Stay organized.

2.  Take..... your...... time.  Rushing a build leads to mistakes.

3.  When in doubt (even a little), post photos/ask questions before cutting or gluing anything.  Trust me on this one. 

We will help you get that official 501st TK I.D. under your name.  Once you get approved, you both will have the experience to start on your girlfriend's armor!

• Like 1

It's what we do here on the FISD, Dixon.  Solid advice from the members of the TRUE home of shiny white armor!

• Like 1