Jump to content

Helotech Requesting Pre Approval (SDS)


Recommended Posts

I only have one pic so far, but will be submitting more this weekend once the wife can help.

I just wanted to get the post started.

 

Information:

1. Dave Galant

2. Future Garrison: Capital City, Canada

3. Armor maker: SDS

4. Helmet maker: SDS

5. Cloth belt maker: Imperial Issue (With SDS front panel)

6. Neck seal maker: SDS

7. Boot maker (SDS)

8. Blaster maker (SDS)

9. Gasket maker (unknown)

10. Height: 5' 10" ish

11. Weight: 190lb

12. TK Type: ANH Hero

13. Assisting Trooper: TS 9223, Andy Pegan, Capitol City GML

 

91GALRU.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit hard to see from the one photos, one obvious thing is you can see some black at the top of the boot, this shins may have moved up too high, you can stop this by adding a loop of elastic to the top of the boot and snaps behind the shin, or Velcro works for some.

 

SDS usually has a few issues so I'll give you a couple to check.

 

Thigh cover strip should stop before the bottom ridge, does not continue to the bottom.

 

Thigh ammo strip should only be rounded on the bottom and not on the top, also needs attaching with cap rivets.

 

Shoulder bridges should be glued at the front and not Velcro.

 

Appears you have a Hero helmet so you should have straps on the holster which are attached behind the belt and held by 4 rivets (SDS normally provides black loops on the holster)

 

Belt doesn't look straight.

 

As I say it's a bit hard to tell with one photo so looking forward to seeing the rest soon.

 

Good luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may also want to check this pre approval thread too as it is also SDS armor and has some of the fixes needed which are common to that armor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks gmr. 

I was bored at work and decided to just start the profile and more pictures are forthcoming.

Your comments are really appreciated.

I've heard lots about the SDS and am addressing them as I find the references.

Here is the link in the forum concerning my reasoning behind purchasing SDS, and my discussions and views with others. Didn't want to re-hash it here.

I chime in on page 4 if anyone wants to read... :)

 

 

The pic was taken after me quickly putting on the armor for the first time, so all the strapping is not done as well as I liked.

 

1. Both thigh cover strips go right to the bottom. I can trim this back

2. Thigh ammo strip is rounded both top and bottom. Any easy way to remedy this?

     a) The ammo strip is attached with screws. Easy to fix. I have found the Forum thread about all the snaps and rivets used and just have to pick out the info concerning proper type. I              am only going for basic build right now as I am eager to troop. I won't be adding all the needed rivets to the rest of the armor right away.

3. Shoulder ridges are attached with white Velcro front and back. For basic approval I believe this is okay? Not a huge issue as this is easy to remedy.

4. Holster is actually ESB style (very good quality in my opinion), with black strapping that fits over the belt. I am trying to source some correct colour and thickness of the tan leather to make the strips. Any ideas?

5. Belt does sag as it is only held up by a very small piece of white Velcro on the front middle (about 1/2" square). This is an easy fix. Biggest issue with the SDS is that the entire belt (ammo front and main wrap around portion) are ABS.  :(Yes, SDS has faults, but this is a glaring error. I do have an Imperial Issue cloth belt waiting in the box and will transfer the front panel to it once I source rivets, etc.

 

The entire armor is held together with veclro pile strips on the armor, with black elastic straps.

I am torn between replacing allot of the strapping for more accurate stuff, such as the white shoulder straps. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You may also want to check this pre approval thread too as it is also SDS armor and has some of the fixes needed which are common to that armor

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why thank you very much!!!!!

Forums have so much info and I haven't seen this.

I'll check it out.

 

Just looked at it.

 

I never noticed the details of how the rear calf Velcro attachment are mirror images of each other. 

Both SDS calf pieces are left side overlapping right side. So only the left leg is correct. This is an easy fix with a bit of Velcro peeling and reattachment.

 

I never noticed the snipe plate being attached with screws. 

Would it be more prudent to use the paste to cover the screw, or attempt to glue the plate on ?

 

Edited by Helotech
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Helotech said:

Why thank you very much!!!!!

Forums have so much info and I haven't seen this.

I'll check it out.

 

Just looked at it.

 

I never noticed the details of how the rear calf Velcro attachment are mirror images of each other. 

Both SDS calf pieces are left side overlapping right side. So only the left leg is correct. This is an easy fix with a bit of Velcro peeling and reattachment.

 

I never noticed the snipe plate being attached with screws. 

Would it be more prudent to use the paste to cover the screw, or attempt to glue the plate on ?

 

Personally for the sniper plate I'd remove the screws, then make sure the plate is glued to the shin, if not add glue, then add some ABS paste to the holes and once dry sand and polish.

 

There aren't a lot of people buying SDS these days so as you say a lot of info gets buried on these forums.

 

Troopers helping troopers ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay. Other than doing pipe work on the house plumbing, I haven't done much ABS manipulation, so I'll have to study up on this. :)

 

Long story short about the SDS:

I always wanted TK armor, and googled "Real stormtrooper" which led me to SDS. I thought I read everything I could find about it.

I got lost in the multitude of forums on this and other sites, but somehow never discovered the "issues" with SDS

I have many other hobbies and couldn't invest the time in completely fabricating armor from scratch (cutting out armour pieces from ABS sheets, etc...) even though I'm handy.

I had the wife's enthusiastic approval and some disposable $, so I paid the money and had it shipped. 

Less than 2 weeks later I was dressed as a Stormtrooper.

 

And then I discovered the "issues". Oh well. I now figure it will take me less time to fix the SDS, than doing a do-it-yourself kit.

Even now knowing there are problems, I think I would still go with SDS just for the service and ease. My 2 cents...

 

Can't wait to be an official trooper helping others.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dave! XO for the CCG here. Have you joined our forums at capitalcity501st.ca? Would love to you post an introduction on our recruitment desk!

 

Beyond that, did Andy assist you in the build? He actually makes holster so he can probably help you with modding the holster to be approvable. He makes the canvas belts as well. If you need some help with anything, let me know! Be glad to have you over or I can come to you sometime to help out. You’re close to being all ready to go from what I can see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2019 at 8:37 AM, lucnak said:

Hi Dave! XO for the CCG here. Have you joined our forums at capitalcity501st.ca? Would love to you post an introduction on our recruitment desk!

 

Beyond that, did Andy assist you in the build? He actually makes holster so he can probably help you with modding the holster to be approvable. He makes the canvas belts as well. If you need some help with anything, let me know! Be glad to have you over or I can come to you sometime to help out. You’re close to being all ready to go from what I can see!

Wow! Thanks for the help.

I haven't introduced myself there yet, but will ASAP. I'm just about to have my wife take pics of me in the armor, so stay tuned!

 

I only spoke with Andy briefly on the phone and by email, and he was very helpful. I didn't realize he made holsters and belts. 

I have the Imperial Issue canvas belt, and just need to source the rivets and tan leather strips to start the modifications. I'll contact him to see if he can help me with those.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are my photos. I'm only going for basic now as I want to troop sooner rather than later.

Things I know I have to address:

  1. I just noticed one of the blue ab buttons paint is scuffed. Need to fix that. The little black flecks were just some dust, so please ignore.
  2. Belt is all ABS. I have a fabric belt and will be attaching the front AMMO pouches to it
  3. Add better Velcro to belt and armor to prevent it from slipping up / down
  4. Holster requires the tan leather straps and rivets holding it to belt
  5. The front and back cover strips on thigh / calf armor need trimming so they don't go all the way to bottom or top
  6. Re-adjust Velcro on right calf so it is mirror image of left.
  7. Sniper plate need to be glued, not screwed on. Does any other glue work for doing this (CA?) or should I use the ABS paste?
  8. Right knee ammo pouch has rounded top edges. Not sure how to address this...
  9. Right knee ammo pouch attached with screws, not rivets
  10. Might have to adjust / reform shoulder bells so they sit closer to chest armor.

 

This I want to do for own comfort or better look for the armor / creep my way up to higher level:

  1. Add strapping to calf pieces to prevent them riding up over boot
  2. Find a good way to keep thigh armor from pivoting.
  3. Add better / more Velcro strapping for better fit
  4.  Lose 15 lbs.... :)
  5. Glue down front shoulder straps and lose the velcro. Once again, is CA glue ok for this?
  6. Maybe add the white fabric shoulder strapping to hold chest and back armor together. I like the black look better, so not sure.
  7. Free float the back part of shoulder strap and add the little white elastic
  8. Make the black under belt and straps to hold up thigh armor
  9. Is there any way to alleviate the armor from clicking / snapping (best term I can use) when walking?

Anyways, let me know what you think.

 

ypA4Zlx.jpg

 

5jgbE3X.jpg

rN2S3Dq.jpg

gWeGGZB.jpg

dHTJIDO.jpg

vQ2i0qs.jpg

e4zl1JK.jpg

uH00wdS.jpg

xqFXkTC.jpg

Fp9oarV.jpg

EBggIEu.jpg

cAR7zQo.jpg

nMT9I0C.jpg

2XXygIU.jpg

f8vownZ.jpg

1x8xbRW.jpg

GPS04TQ.jpg

pIZKnT9.jpg

PiHJUVo.jpg

84ItdQC.jpg

C9oMZMT.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally for the sniper plate I'd remove the screws, then make sure the plate is glued to the shin, if not add glue, then add some ABS paste to the holes and once dry sand and polish.

 

There aren't a lot of people buying SDS these days so as you say a lot of info gets buried on these forums.

 

Troopers helping troopers ;) 

gmr (or anyone else)

 

Advice requested:

 

I haven't had to work with ABS in this way before.

 

Is the sniper plate glued to the calf with the ABS paste? Other type of adhesive, such as the E6000 everyone talks about?

 

I didn't want to use something to "hot" so that it melts the plastic.

 

I have to somehow fix the top rounded corners of the thigh ammo pouch.

Unfortunately, since this was a completely built set of armor from SDS, I don't have scrap ABS sheet laying about. I was thinking of adding a backing plate with he correct right angle profile behind the top corner. Then I would layer it with ABS sheet and filling the joint line with ABS paste and sanding / polishing smooth. Do you think this would work?

 

Are there any commercially available ABS that would work. I haven't been able to source ABS sheets locally. The only plastic sheets I have are styrene by Evergreen that I use for model building.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dave, I can at least provide some clarifications for the sniper plate - you should glue it with E6000 after removing the screws. Once the plate is glued one, you would only use ABS paste to fill the holes. Sand, polish, and that should be it.

Regarding the thigh ammo pack, I would have to do some digging around here to see what others have done with SDS. I unfortunately don't have the time at the moment, but I'll try and find you some info shortly. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume your kit didn't come with any extra ABS strips or sheets? And you don't have any offcuts from trimming? Those are generally what people use for ABS paste.  You could also check with your fellow Garrison mates and see if they have any extra ABS bits.  

 

I would fill in the sniper plate holes before gluing back on, but that's me.  I would find that easier.  I glued mine on with E6000, and it's held for 3 years and counting.  

 

If worst comes to worst, and you can't fix the top rounded edge of the thigh ammo pack... replacement parts are available from various vendors. I know AM does replacements, as does RT.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Hi Dave, I can at least provide some clarifications for the sniper plate - you should glue it with E6000 after removing the screws. Once the plate is glued one, you would only use ABS paste to fill the holes. Sand, polish, and that should be it.

Regarding the thigh ammo pack, I would have to do some digging around here to see what others have done with SDS. I unfortunately don't have the time at the moment, but I'll try and find you some info shortly. Thanks!

Thanks. Most people just say "glue" without specifying how, so this clears it up.

 

As for fixing the ammo pack:

 

I've dug around quite a bit and haven't found anything concerning fixes.

 

I had minor brainstorm and realized that the SDS armor has a complete ABS belt. As I will only be using the front portion, I will have a long piece of ABS to use as scrap. It is thicker than the armor ABS, but it may work as a patch for the rounded corner.

 

1. I am going to cut a triangle piece of the belt to match what the top of the ammo pack should look like.

2. I'll cut / sand the bottom of the triangle to match the current rounded corner of SDS pouch.

3. I'll add a small stiffener / backplate that will overlap the joint between the pouch and my triangle piece

4. The seam will be filled and polished smooth.

 

Hopefully this will still meet with approval for basic?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. Most people just say "glue" without specifying how, so this clears it up.
 
As for fixing the ammo pack:
 
I've dug around quite a bit and haven't found anything concerning fixes.
 
I had minor brainstorm and realized that the SDS armor has a complete ABS belt. As I will only be using the front portion, I will have a long piece of ABS to use as scrap. It is thicker than the armor ABS, but it may work as a patch for the rounded corner.
 
1. I am going to cut a triangle piece of the belt to match what the top of the ammo pack should look like.
2. I'll cut / sand the bottom of the triangle to match the current rounded corner of SDS pouch.
3. I'll add a small stiffener / backplate that will overlap the joint between the pouch and my triangle piece
4. The seam will be filled and polished smooth.
 
Hopefully this will still meet with approval for basic?
 
 

Hiya,

At the moment, the holster will keep you from basic. The CRL states that this must not have a loop over the canvas belt.

CRL; “The holster is worn on left side of belt and is attached via two leather or leather-like material straps to the belt from behind instead of front.
•No loops cover the outside of the belt.
•For ANH Hero, the holster is affixed with four fasteners, two on the top, two on the bottom (two per strap).
•Fasteners may be rivets, snaps, or Chicago screws

As you have a hero helmet, you’ll have to follow the hero CRL.

1f9076150bad17109a860a4d51337198.jpg

cae96659b87a48a976e3f483b8fc2b14.jpg

Hope that helps. :-)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

I assume your kit didn't come with any extra ABS strips or sheets? And you don't have any offcuts from trimming? Those are generally what people use for ABS paste.  You could also check with your fellow Garrison mates and see if they have any extra ABS bits.  

 

I would fill in the sniper plate holes before gluing back on, but that's me.  I would find that easier.  I glued mine on with E6000, and it's held for 3 years and counting.  

 

If worst comes to worst, and you can't fix the top rounded edge of the thigh ammo pack... replacement parts are available from various vendors. I know AM does replacements, as does RT.  

Rebecca,

 

No offcuts or trimming. This was a complete ready to wear from SDS.

No, I'm not lazy, just too many hobbies, busy with work and time compressed to build my armor from scratch :)

 

Thanks for the info about the sniper plate. Never thought of that.

I'm going to attempt the ammo pack fix as I stated above. If that doesn't work, then a shopping I will go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Helotech said:

Rebecca,

 

No offcuts or trimming. This was a complete ready to wear from SDS.

No, I'm not lazy, just too many hobbies, busy with work and time compressed to build my armor from scratch :)

 

Thanks for the info about the sniper plate. Never thought of that.

I'm going to attempt the ammo pack fix as I stated above. If that doesn't work, then a shopping I will go!

Quite honestly the biggest downside (minus cost most of the time) with ordering assembled armor is there's no extra ABS for fixes later down the road.

 

Good luck with your fixes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan

22 minutes ago, CableGuy said:


Hiya,

At the moment, the holster will keep you from basic. The CRL states that this must not have a loop over the canvas belt.

CRL; “The holster is worn on left side of belt and is attached via two leather or leather-like material straps to the belt from behind instead of front.
•No loops cover the outside of the belt.
•For ANH Hero, the holster is affixed with four fasteners, two on the top, two on the bottom (two per strap).
•Fasteners may be rivets, snaps, or Chicago screws

As you have a hero helmet, you’ll have to follow the hero CRL.

1f9076150bad17109a860a4d51337198.jpg

cae96659b87a48a976e3f483b8fc2b14.jpg

Hope that helps. :-)

I've seen these diagrams and know about the changes, but thanks for the info. These forums are great :)

 

I have already sourced some tan leather through another member.

 

Theresa local hardware store that apparently has most of the snaps, rivets, etc that I will need.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave, just a quick note to mention that every armour maker's white is a little bit different. Probably won't be very noticeable for the thigh ammo pack, but the ears may be as it's a focal point of the costume.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought about this. I've been in contact with ATA maker about the pieces.

They are not that expensive, so if they don't match it is no great loss.

 

I'll still try to mod my armor ammo pouch as described above.

I may be able to carefully cut out the ear bumps and simply use that small piece. Since the bumps are painted, any seam will be hidden under paste and a layer of paint.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all,

 

Just realized this thread is just supposed to be for pre-approval. I think that in the time ahead I may be adding too many build or mod pics and posts, which are out of the scope of this thread.

I just found out about the Build Threads in this forum (once again, lots of info out there....), so I'll be switching to that page.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Many mods done since originally posted. Hopefully I'm ready for Basic....

:icon_beg: 

 

Build Posts located here

 

 

Updated Information:

 

1. Dave Galant

2. Future Garrison: Canadian Garrison

3. Armor maker: SDS

4. Helmet maker: SDS

5. Cloth belt maker: Imperial Issue (With SDS front panel)

6. Neck seal maker: SDS

7. Boot maker (SDS)

8. Blaster maker (SDS)

9. Gasket maker (unknown)

10. Height: 5' 10" ish

11. Weight: 185lb

12. TK Type: ANH Hero

13. Assisting Trooper: gmrhodes13, lucnak, and justjoseph63,

 

I am not posting any new helmet photos as nothing has changed since the original post. Just scroll up :)

 

 

lcgPcPn.jpg

 

weQJdb0.jpg

 

WLmON8G.jpg

 

SD8veSM.jpg

 

JWeKzt4.jpg

 

PFhZVRU.jpg

 

LiFRthB.jpg

 

DD7Vexl.jpg

 

YLls1XH.jpg

 

QgnfeZP.jpg

 

I've almost got all the components to jump to EI as well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...