Wondering if this is a good buy or stay clear? Etsy

Nada

The armor looks good in the pictures but I'm unsure if it's up to quality he also states " This suit will pass the 501st entry level requirements for membership " but am unable to find any more information on it apart from the reviews he has on his account or people saying that have got in with it.

I'm hoping this is good quality because seems too good to be true for a college student wanting to do charity work on the side.

Thank you for helping me with this problem.

Link: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/560000393/completed-anh-stormtrooper-armor-with

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Looked around in the forum and Dantria said:

" Matt Gauthier (TE)

Matt was banned from this board for repeated flame wars, but even worse for repeatedly taking our members money and not delivering. He has at least twice documented "sold his molds", once to a 501st member, and then recast the sold molds to make new product. You can send him money if you want to take a large risk of not getting anything, and of supporting someone who has screwed numerous 501st members by lying to them. "

I'm still wondering after talking with him he seems like he is nice and people seem to have got good armor from him but some people have been scammed not getting armor. So would it be worth it to try thought PayPal and try to get the armor I feel like I might take this risk with Paypal on my side? Not to sure but he said he is retiring this year from making them and having a may the 4th sale so I think I will try it. 

Looked around in the forum and Dantria said:
" Matt Gauthier (TE)

Matt was banned from this board for repeated flame wars, but even worse for repeatedly taking our members money and not delivering. He has at least twice documented "sold his molds", once to a 501st member, and then recast the sold molds to make new product. You can send him money if you want to take a large risk of not getting anything, and of supporting someone who has screwed numerous 501st members by lying to them. "

I'm still wondering after talking with him he seems like he is nice and people seem to have got good armor from him but some people have been scammed not getting armor. So would it be worth it to try thought PayPal and try to get the armor I feel like I might take this risk with Paypal on my side? Not to sure but he said he is retiring this year from making them and having a may the 4th sale so I think I will try it. 

With SO many great vetted armour makers out there, I personally wouldn’t even entertain taking the risk. But, each to their own.

Have you spoken with your local Garrison for advise?

Dan

Just now, CableGuy said:

With SO many great vetted armour makers out there, I personally wouldn’t even entertain taking the risk. But, each to their own.

Have you spoken with your local Garrison for advise?

Dan

I'm currently in Australia NSW region so it would be the Knightfall Garrison and don't know how to contact my local Garrison other than facebook. I'm just new here with a dream to join you guys. But a lot of people say there a no kits in Australia and look online I know I'm going to get my boots and neckseal from imperialboots. But the armor I don't know because my budget is around $1500-1750 AUD to get the armor if I can this month/year so roughly 1000-1250 USD.

10 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Let’s call in some of our Aussie brothers...

@gmrhodes13, @Sly11 :-)

Thank you, another thing is I'm not to good around tools and don't know how to finish a kit so I want to try to find a finished kit to kit and modify to fit me for the CRL. Why I thought Matt might be a good choice to risk due to the good price. 

3 hours ago, Nada said:

So would it be worth it to try thought PayPal and try to get the armor I feel like I might take this risk with Paypal on my side? Not to sure but he said he is retiring this year from making them and having a may the 4th sale so I think I will try it. 

I wouldn’t risk it and with the budget you have I think AP is worth looking into:salute: 

For that amount of money you can get a vetted seller like everyone has said. Reach out to your garrison and see if they have any armor parties going on where you can get a hand. If all else fails check the sale ads and see if there are any suited for you body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, TheSwede said:

And just making clear that AP does ready to wear at pretty much were your buget is.

How hard is to do to make a trimmed suit wearable? Very inexperienced with everything and due to being in Aus the wearable out of the box AP is out of question due to conversion rate fee, 3.5% PayPal and shipping to Australia which I know will be a ton

6 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I wouldn’t risk it and with the budget you have I think AP is worth looking into:salute: 

Thank you, I will look into the budget was for the whole thing but I’m guessing trimmed is easy to put together for someone that is not as experienced with tools?

5 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

For that amount of money you can get a vetted seller like everyone has said. Reach out to your garrison and see if they have any armor parties going on where you can get a hand. If all else fails check the sale ads and see if there are any suited for you body.

I’ll try to see what I can do only way I know how to contact them directly is on Facebook, Is a trimmed kit hard to complete. I am just extremely nervous about fracking it up tbh and ruining it

10 hours ago, Nada said:

I'm currently in Australia NSW region so it would be the Knightfall Garrison and don't know how to contact my local Garrison other than facebook. I'm just new here with a dream to join you guys. But a lot of people say there a no kits in Australia and look online I know I'm going to get my boots and neckseal from imperialboots. But the armor I don't know because my budget is around $1500-1750 AUD to get the armor if I can this month/year so roughly 1000-1250 USD.

Hello and welcome from the West.

501st website you can find how to join as well as garrison info https://www.501st.com/members/join_form.php

Knightfall's website: https://501kfg.com/ Forum: https://forum.501kfg.com/

Lots of info in the Getting Started section in regards to armor and contacts ;) Stay away form eBay and etsy, you are better purchasing from a vetted seller, at least you know you will be purchasing a quality product.

There is some research involved in this hobby so you have some reading in front of you. Once you reach out to your local garrison you'll find many folk happy to lend a hand and perhaps you can visit an armor party to see what exactly is involved in putting armor together. 

Good luck and hope to see a build thread from you soon.

21 minutes ago, Nada said:

How hard is to do to make a trimmed suit wearable? Very inexperienced with everything and due to being in Aus the wearable out of the box AP is out of question due to conversion rate fee, 3.5% PayPal and shipping to Australia which I know will be a ton

In general it´s "easier" than one would think. Read through some build threads and I´m sure you will feel more confident about building a suit. :duim:

I’ll try to see what I can do only way I know how to contact them directly is on Facebook, Is a trimmed kit hard to complete. I am just extremely nervous about fracking it up tbh and ruining it

I’m gonna agree with the it’s generally easier then expected. I was worried, took the first piece slow and was fine after that. It’s time consuming but I personally think it’s worth it and fun. It’s an accomplishment. Just take it easy, slow and steady it’s not a race.

1 minute ago, Frank75139 said:

I’m gonna agree with the it’s generally easier then expected. I was worried, took the first piece slow and was fine after that. It’s time consuming but I personally think it’s worth it and fun. It’s an accomplishment. Just take it easy, slow and steady it’s not a race.

Would you recommend a trimmed kit for a first timer or a unfinished one?

2 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

So go with a trimmed kit? I’m hoping I can get in contact with a 501st I’m my area that can help me I’m scared about the helmet most of all 

• Like 1

Is it bad that I keep looking back and forth at the Etsy armor and AP armor the price difference atm with estimated shipping as $150 usd.

AP amour cost is approximated is $1880+ AUD (with no undersuit and trimmed kit)

Etsy is approximated to 1658.50 AUD (with everything and ready to wear)

It's hard to choose based on the prices and one would be I know I can make it work and the other is a chance of not getting something but if I do it might be good.

It's hard to choose because I'm using a scholarship I got to do this which is 2250 AUD but don't want to use over really $1750 for now

@Frank75139, @TheSwede

Is it bad that I keep looking back and forth at the Etsy armor and AP armor the price difference atm with estimated shipping as $150 usd.

It's hard to choose based on the prices and one would be I know I can make it work and the other is a chance of not getting something but if I do it might be good.

It's hard to choose because I'm using a scholarship I got to do this which is 2250 AUD but don't want to use over really $1750 for now

[mention=32934]Frank75139[/mention], [mention=30669]TheSwede[/mention]

Ultimately you can do what you want with your money we are here to help.
With a bit of research of the owner of the Etsy page I came up with this thread.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41455-good-armor-and-a-bad-rep/

If you don’t feel like reading the whole thing here is the statement from our admin back in 2017.
IMG_6639.jpg

Sometimes people change, but do you want to bet $1658 that he’s changed his ways? I’ve made questionable purchases before one is actually posted around here somewhere. But I’m not willing to take that chance. Vetted sellers are that for a reason. They come on the forums and are active in helping people with their armor. I’m not sure if those are the only two choices you have cause of where you live but there are other vetted makers which have less questions surrounding them.

9 minutes ago, Nada said:

@Frank75139, @TheSwede

You get what you pay for, this isn't a cheap hobby, wouldn't hurt to reach out to some troopers close to you and see the difference in armor makes.

Just don't make a rash decision, do some research, look through the vetted sellers, take a look also at build threads of particular armor (you can find their names at the top of build threads) It's great to be excited and want to get into this hobby as soon as you can BUT many find out the hard way that they should have taken their time with research, it's the most important part. 

But like others have said it's your money ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You get what you pay for, this isn't a cheap hobby, wouldn't hurt to reach out to some troopers close to you and see the difference in armor makes.

Just don't make a rash decision, do some research, look through the vetted sellers, take a look also at build threads of particular armor (you can find their names at the top of build threads) It's great to be excited and want to get into this hobby as soon as you can BUT many find out the hard way that they should have taken their time with research, it's the most important part. 

But like others have said it's your money ;) 

I'm not trying to rush just figuring out this little thing I've been talking with Matt about everything he seems like he's a good guy and helping me with certain things like helping me find the correct gloves and undersuit when asked causally when discussing the armor but after reading the forums about why he was kicked out due to flame wars and 2 counts of recasting? I think I'm not sure and not delivering to people. But his Etsy store reviews are good.

Just the thing is I'm a university student so by the end of the day I can't go over my budget or I face not having good food for a week to a month (live on campus).

Don't get me wrong PA armor kits look amazing but it might just be out of my price range atm I might wait and see but I want to start getting my stuff together on this so I can actually get it done instead of putting it off and wasting the money.

But thank you for all the help in me deciding and talking I have brought up to him about knowing the 501st forums business and seeing if he has changed and maybe giving him a chance if I can get in contact with my local garrison which is Southern Cross NOT Knightfall I got the 2 mixed up accidentally, my views might change if I can get a member to show me how to put it together and help. Hopefully this year I will finally join and do something I've wanted to do for ages. 

Well ultimately it’s up to you, we just try and give you advise and if it were me I would much rather be sure I get a suit and take my chances with building it rather than gamble with not getting anything for a lot of money. If you get a kit I know we will be able to help you complete it. AP is not the only option when it comes to kits but they are as far as I know have a very competitive price when it comes to fully assambled. If you sign up to your local Garrison I’m sure they will also assist with hands on help. And if the helmet worries you, most sellers can provide the service of putting the helmet together but leave the rest of the armor in kit which would save you money. If you take it slow and read up on turtorials and watch videos on how to build I’m sure you’ll do fine:)