HOWTO: Buy Armor

TomG

Armor is not cheap thing, then before buy something, you need ask yourself for few questions.

Do you want to be screen accurate and may be Elite on FISD? Or you want only legion approved armor?

For screen accurate armors you need to search forum for acronyms TE, TE2, AP, GINO.

TE, TE2, AP and GINO are armors created from ROTJ screen used armors sometimes with ANH parts or modified.

TM is very accurate armor and is a fan sculpt. Then it was not used in film, but looks very similar.

For everything else, that is aproved by Legion you need look for FX/GT, Movie FX or RT-Mod. They are all fansculpted, but they have a bit different shapes, that armors above.

FX armors are known for oversized hemlet, that has bad proportions, it is still accepted by Legion but for Elite status you can´t use this FX helmet.

How big are you?

Screen accurate armors are created for skinny guys. Something about 5'11" and 150 pounds. Some accurate armors can be used on guys with a bit different proportions but not too much. If you are much bigger, you will need RT-Mod or some FX armor. If you don't have big head you will probably need different helmet than FX. There are some size comparisons between armors. You can always ask on forum, if somebody has your dimensions and what armor he use and how he looks like in it.

Are you going to make ANH, TESB or ROTJ armor?

These armors have few things different, it can be found on forum in specific section. All armors can be used for all these types, but sometimes they need to be modified. More different is Sandtrooper. If you think about it, go to http://www.mepd.net.

What do you need to have complete stormtrooper?

- white armor, helmet and straping system to wear this armor

- black undersuit

- black gloves

- black neckseal

- white boots

- E-11 blaster

- holster for blaster

- canvas belt, plastic sheets used on FX armors are really bad. Much better is canvas cloth or white leather.

For every part you have few options, how to solve them. They are different in quality and price. About straping system, it is needed if you want troop in armor. Use only velcro fasteners isn´t good idea for that.

Do you want buy kit or assembled armor?

Assembled armor is more expensive, but don´t need from you some effort and tools to build this armor. With assembled armor you can have problem, that armor will not suit you without modifications.

What material of armor do you want?

You can have ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), HPS or HIPS (High Performance Styrene,High Impact PolyStyrene, they are a bit similar). ABS is better for trooping, because it contains some rubber and it is more durable, but it is a bit expensive than HPS and on same thickness has not that sharp details than HPS. ABS usually contains UV filter, then it doesn´t go yellow. In HPS or HIPS it isn´t that sure. But usually these high gloss HPS, HIPS contains this UV filter.

How much money you want spend?

Yeah, it is on you. If you need perfect armor with replica E-11 blaster from real Sterling gun, perfect helmet from GINO. Prepare a lot of money.

Few advices

- When you buy armor from ebay you sometimes don´t know what you actualy buy. Because net is full of recasters. Guys who copy work of someone else and sell it.

- On forum you can actualy find some original creators of armors. Then it is better buy from them original, if they make run, than support recasting.

- Fiberglass helmet or armor for sale is suspicious. It is probably recast, because armors are primary vacumformed plastic. There was only one guy who made original armor this way. He is Steve Johnson from Australia.

- Be beware post topic that "you want buy armor". Actualy I think, that this is prohibited here.

- If you are member of the 501st Legion, you can ask in your local Outpost or Garrison. But I think for specific costume is always better ask in Detachment.

If you have idea or I forgot something, write it here, I will fix it :)

I know it is a bit duplicity of Daetrin post. But I made it as reaction for guys, who arrive here, say hello and then ask, where to buy armor on general "Armor and Helmet" section.

Well said, clear and to the point. I know the rules on not posting "want to buy" was difficult for me at first, and has been confusing for some people. This kind of helps clear that up a little, and gives some people wanting to go white an idea of what to expect.

A good start, but some clarifications:

1. I've seen TE armor look good on guys up to 6'4" and 240lbs. Every make can be made to work, some lend themselves to certain body types though

2. You need a neckseal as well.

3. TM while very accurate is still a fan sculpt, unlike TE/TE2, AP, & GINO (though parts of all of these are really sculpted and not 100% screen accurate)

Below is pretty standard in PM's I send:

There area lot of folks who are just looking for armor and for that we have EBay. This detachment and all other 501st forums are there to server the needs of the membership and those wanting to be members, not the general public. You have to realize that for many prop makers this is a part time hobby and they have full time jobs, they're not trying to be the WalMart of armor.

My advice is to follow your own gut feeling. Every armor has it's advantages and dis-advantages. I'd start with writing down what features are most important for you, and what trade-offs you want. Is ABS armor a must? Is price a consideration? What about accuracy? How big/tall are you?

Realize also that no matter what you buy, eventually in a few years something better will be discovered or become available. It's a journey, not a destination, and all that good stuff :) Some people in the 501st are mostly collectors who do a little trooping, some are more in to the building side of things, and others like myself just get a high from wearing white plastic in public.

I'd also recommend you get in touch with your local garrison and start getting involved. These are the people you'll end up trooping with eventually anyway.

I've seen TE armor look good on guys up to 6'4" and 240lbs. Every make can be made to work, some lend themselves to certain body types though.

I looked pretty bad in TE and SDS armor and I'm 6'4" and 220lbs (not overweight for my height). It looked way too small on me - way too much black spacing everywhere and I had to shim almost everything, which really distracted from the accuracy.

On my buddy who's 5'9" and skinny as a rail, he looked perfect.

Fixed. Thanks.

A good start, but some clarifications:

1. I've seen TE armor look good on guys up to 6'4" and 240lbs. Every make can be made to work, some lend themselves to certain body types though

2. You need a neckseal as well.

3. TM while very accurate is still a fan sculpt, unlike TE/TE2, AP, & GINO (though parts of all of these are really sculpted and not 100% screen accurate)

Below is pretty standard in PM's I send:

White leather is also a good option and a hell of an improvement over abs strips.

Yeah - canvas is even better still :)

In truth the main point is to have respect for the costume. A well done FX kit (e.g. correct ab plate buttons, etc.) that's properly fitted to the wearer will win out overly a poorly fitted/done any-other-armor.

The focus of this detachment is to promote quality costuming overall, regardless of armor make.

• 3 years later...