MandalorianHelm First TK Build (AP)

Looking good and like Tony said - almost there:duim: 

Question: would it be possible to lift the torso section up some? Looks like you can but alwyas hard to tell for sure, that way you might get the thighs a bit higher and and at the same time possible trim the shins down (at the bottom) as it looks hard to walk as it stands right now. If you can walk no problem then take no notice of me:salute:

22 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Looking good and like Tony said - almost there:duim: 

Question: would it be possible to lift the torso section up some? Looks like you can but alwyas hard to tell for sure, that way you might get the thighs a bit higher and and at the same time possible trim the shins down (at the bottom) as it looks hard to walk as it stands right now. If you can walk no problem then take no notice of me:salute:

It might be possible to lift it a bit.  The brackets have them sitting in the current position with not much room.  Could try resizing the elastic to see if i can get it pulled higher.  It is very hard to walk in at the moment.  I don't have my thighs looped into the belt as of yet though so that will help once that's finished but I thinking trimming is going to be a must as it feels very robotic to walk at the moment.  Thanks of the feedback guys.  :)

Edited by MandalorianHelm

Pulled things up a little bit and made adjustments to the thigh belt which helped quite a bit. :)  Belt popped off snap so thats the reason it looks a bit crooked. ;)  Still not able to walk without feeling like a robot however due to my height.  Suggestions on where to trim?

QIVxza2.jpg

LewT6PU.jpg

• Like 1

Ensure that your shins are as far down as they'll go on your boots. If you need to trim, there are a few options. Cut-outs in the back of the thigh and shin (don't cut past the ridges though) and you could trim the bottom of the shins or the tops of the thighs is required, but I'd say try to make this work as it is with the cut-outs in the knees. You'll need to see how you do once that sniper knee is on as you might feel the thigh pressing up against it, which could eventually lead to damage. Keep an eye on that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lucnak said:

Ensure that your shins are as far down as they'll go on your boots. If you need to trim, there are a few options. Cut-outs in the back of the thigh and shin (don't cut past the ridges though) and you could trim the bottom of the shins or the tops of the thighs is required, but I'd say try to make this work as it is with the cut-outs in the knees. You'll need to see how you do once that sniper knee is on as you might feel the thigh pressing up against it, which could eventually lead to damage. Keep an eye on that.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am more inclined to trimming the bottoms of the shins and possibly tops of the thighs so it is less noticeable.  When I am walking the front of the shins are catching on the thighs so the addition of the sniper knee will probably add to that.  I should probably add the knee and ammo pack first and then make the decision.  Pains me to do so but I won't be able to walk the way this sit right now.  Just a bit nervous to get it back to looking the way it is.  Shins have a nice curve at the bottom.

I am seeing some posts of people using a heat sealing iron when they modify the thighs.  I am thinking on picking one up and recreating the return edge on the tops of the thighs and bottoms of the shins.  Has anyone had any success using one? 

I would not add return edges at the bottom of the shins. They will push up even more. No requirements for a return edge at the top of the thigh. Might make things less comfortable. Ultimately your call. Heat sealing iron will indeed work if you do need to recreate a return edge.

• Like 2

Definitely take off any return edge on the bottom of the shins, will save them from scuffing your boots. Return edge at thigh is up to you, I left some on mine as I have really skinny legs so helps the return edges helps them to stay centred ;) 

• Like 1

Shins trimmed.  Don't think i'm going to touch the tops of the thighs.  The pick above I really needed to bring the thighs up high.  Not so much in this one.  I'm tempted to take a little more off the shins but a bit hesitant.  Thoughts?

MErPdJF.jpg

1F0mGie.jpg

1 hour ago, MandalorianHelm said:

Shins trimmed.  Don't think i'm going to touch the tops of the thighs.  The pick above I really needed to bring the thighs up high.  Not so much in this one.  I'm tempted to take a little more off the shins but a bit hesitant.  Thoughts?

MErPdJF.jpg

1F0mGie.jpg

I say leave it for now and do some more walking and see how it is, you can always remove more later if needs be - looks great:duim:

• Like 2

See how they are once you have knee ammo strip and plate attached, you may need to add some foam inside to push them away from the thighs. There is also the option of taking some material out of the backs if you don’t have much knee bend 

clUVVS3.jpg

Hi guys,

Any recommendations on the size of the slotted pan head screws for the TD to meet Centurion requirements?  The ones supplied with the kit are rounded.  Going to try to possibly complete my TD today.  For something I thought was going to be easy, this TD is beginning to be a real pain.  I am just glad i found another AP build who ran into other issues with it and had to redo a bunch of work before i went down the same path.

Thanks in advance.

I used 6-32 x 9/16" screws for mine, they work with the nuts supplied in the AP kit and the screw heads are about the same diameter as the AP screws. I sourced them online as I couldn't find them at the usual places locally (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.). I have a ton left over, if you don't have any luck finding them and want a set for your TD just PM me your address and I'll drop some in the mail.

18 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I used 6-32 x 9/16" screws for mine, they work with the nuts supplied in the AP kit and the screw heads are about the same diameter as the AP screws. I sourced them online as I couldn't find them at the usual places locally (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.). I have a ton left over, if you don't have any luck finding them and want a set for your TD just PM me your address and I'll drop some in the mail.

Ok awesome.  Thanks for the info.  Time to go on the hunt!  Appreciate it :)