ANH AM 2.0 build... Finally

Didn't mean to!!   You can square them like the picture below if you want. But I was just saying that if you like your rounded corners better, this should not pose much trouble, as I've seen many people reach Centurion with rounded corners. That's all!

0304b909f716b925f647b66e809faccc.jpg

I gotcha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Didn't mean to!! :o :( You can square them like the picture below if you want. But I was just saying that if you like your rounded corners better, this should not pose much trouble, as I've seen many people reach Centurion with rounded corners. That's all! :)

0304b909f716b925f647b66e809faccc.jpg

Just bear in mind that clearance and screen accurate are different things. The CRL tries to find a happy medium between screen accurate (suits thrown together quickly for filming, battered by stunt men, damaged during filming etc) and idealised. 

Personally, even if rounded corners can pass (as per your example) personally I’d still rather follow the reference of the suits we grew up dreaming about. Just my personal view. No offence to anyone with rounded edges. :duim:

• Like 4

Just bear in mind that clearance and screen accurate are different things. The CRL tries to find a happy medium between screen accurate (suits thrown together quickly for filming, battered by stunt men, damaged during filming etc) and idealised. 

Personally, even if rounded corners can pass (as per your example) personally I’d still rather follow the reference of the suits we grew up dreaming about. Just my personal view. No offence to anyone with rounded edges. :duim:

Well . I must’ve got some bad info somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Hydraken said:

Well emoji90.png. I must’ve got some bad info somewhere. emoji22.png

No worries mate! I'm sure you can still square those corners by sanding them if you prefer to !? 

Edited by hollowbodies

9 minutes ago, Hydraken said:

Well emoji90.png. I must’ve got some bad info somewhere. emoji22.png

Honestly, don’t be worried about it Kenny. The reason we do this hobby is to see the smile on people’s faces when we troop and to have fun trooping. Rounded or square has no impact on the joy we bring to folks at events, or the excitement we have when kitting up. :smiley-sw013:

• Like 4

Keep in mind, they're calling those corners on the screen used suits "square". LOL. Looking again, I see the plate is almost fully inside the raised part of the Ab piece.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DBGrip said:

Keep in mind, they're calling those corners on the screen used suits "square". LOL. Looking again, I see the plate is almost fully inside the raised part of the Ab piece.

Lol. A straight edge didn’t exist in the TK workshop. :laugh1:

Well alrighty then...How's about this? F... sanding, I pulled out the scissors...and then the sandpaper again. Think it's there.b3ee7de00e4fafabdc4d5af727802483.jpg

Neat and tidy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hollowbodies said:

I've seen many people reach Centurion with rounded corners.

When in doubt - Always follow the reference pics for a higher standard aka screen-looking suit:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DBGrip said:

Well alrighty then...How's about this? F... sanding, I pulled out the scissors...and then the sandpaper again. Think it's there.b3ee7de00e4fafabdc4d5af727802483.jpg

Came out great:duim:

• Like 1

Looking good Rob, another note the vertical Ab button plate should be smaller than the raised Ab section that it's attached to. Refer to the reference photo that Dan posted earlier. It's not a deal breaker nor will it prevent you from any level of accuracy however, it will look more correct if trimmed down a bit. 

Keep up the great work :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks, I think sand it down a little more. Just a note on the vertical one, it is slightly in the raised area, there's a tiny bit of illusion there, as I stuck it down with a couple of pieces of rolled over blue tape, and it's sitting a little up compared to when I hold it in place with my fingers.

I didn't work on anything yesterday as I got a call to work, but am hoping to make some more progress today. Maybe even some painting!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DBGrip said:

Thanks, I think sand it down a little more. Just a note on the vertical one, it is slightly in the raised area, there's a tiny bit of illusion there, as I stuck it down with a couple of pieces of rolled over blue tape, and it's sitting a little up compared to when I hold it in place with my fingers.

I didn't work on anything yesterday as I got a call to work, but am hoping to make some more progress today. Maybe even some painting!

Sounds good.  You're doing great

• Like 1

Sooo painting is not my strong suit.... Here are some pics to laugh at. Why oh why I told myself, I was going to go freehand 70's style, I have no idea. Not even done painting. Have masked the buttons, painted vents and tears, masked and penciled tube stripes, but then realized I don't have an 1/8th inch flat brush... 10 brushes, but not that one.... bought one after dinner tonight, along with a calligraphy paint pen, in case I decide to cheat.

Pics are masking (redone 3 or 4 times on the buttons), masking of stripes, a decent tear, a "meh" vent (after relining gray, and I think I did too many vents), a barely "meh" vent (with big gaps, where I couldn't fix it, and painted over large section to try again) and a disastrous tear (that has been fully painted over, to try again). Laugh along with me everyone, after I post this, and finish my cig, I'm going to attempt tube stripes.fdab8607068fcb81edbc97a35051ef64.jpg5c3f6ceb7144d884ecd3240a2a8fbbeb.jpga757d5c2d7977f086123dc0f4caaeba5.jpg98b351de0442d170df148ae46399eed7.jpg950f2d57ea82515c9dc097ae2d91ea98.jpg32d6db99121f034de00310c6746e7def.jpga9ae23b345136f45333fdb26ae0a8b2d.jpg74508be166cf2b9411d0e240cc594c3d.jpgc9ab60db487f24c1e87a0887f0b39e37.jpg

Looking good Rob. Looking at your stencil, the tube strips look too wide. They should be roughly 2.5mm to 3mm thick. 9-13 count per cheek. Here's a reference photo.

orig screws 5.jpg

It's not that bad mate! Paint-wise, the helmets used for the movies were far from perfect too! Your painting is not that bad - keep up the good work, your build is going well overall. Once your helmet will be finished, I'm sure you'll be happy of the result overall! :) And you can always do some touch ups with the paint if you want! :)

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

FAAAARRK!!! Model Master French Blue blows! Way thinner than the Testors, the color matches but....(string of expletives). On a side note Ukswrath, stencil? Lol, those pencil marks weren't alternating blue and white strips. Oh no, each pencil line was supposed to be the middle of an 1/8" brush... maybe 3.2 mm 2.56/8, whatever. Hindsight, I should have probably drawn out sections for the stripes and spaces. I sort of gapped with a number 2 pencil, made pencil dots and laid the straight edge of the tape matching the marks. Everything was going to great, then that sh#t a$$ runny f*&ing mess of Model Master bull$41t f............deep breath.... the sub par thin watery mess, just wasn't cooperating, and of course rather than just stopping, I kept going thinking it would get better. Hint: It didn't. Tried a little toothpick clean up (laughable), and have come out to the porch for a smoke, and to settle down. Left the top off the paint jar till I go back in, maybe some of the thinner will evaporate off and I'll end up with something more workable. A little drying on the helmet may also make some toothpick work more effective. Or I'll bust out the thinner (good thing I picked that up as well) and start all over. Have a laugh and share my pain gents.02411b48157ff4f2a86dd8a33dbb0fcb.jpg6b336ecdb00ef6ec981005e1b281a694.jpg700abfdac9d1f2d41c313dd459c079a6.jpgede9c3866e835ddadbc16950906c5df1.jpg