Starting my first build

Hey Alex.  When the plastic pieces are formed, they have extra material around the parts.  A trimmed kit will have this extra material removed so that is less work for you.  Some vendors do a pretty good job and trim parts like the helmet so that all you need to do is sand some of the edges and it is ready to assemble. 

Depending on your body type, ordering a trimmed kit may not be the best idea as if you needed to size something larger, you would have a harder time than just getting your kit untrimmed and working from there. I found that trimming helped me get comfortable working with ABS. Untrimmed is normally cheaper too.

To sum it up...

Untrimmed
IMG_2691.JPG

Trimmed
IMG_2692.JPG

Those are basic pics I took off the internet but they suit the purpose. The untrimmed as you see has an edge on it some vendors might have a larger edge some smaller. Extra plastic is good to have if you need to make ABS paste or even use some as back strips behind the cover strips and honestly it does help with the getting acclimated part of cutting plastic just a little (not much) extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Depending on your body type, ordering a trimmed kit may not be the best idea as if you needed to size something larger, you would have a harder time than just getting your kit untrimmed and working from there. I found that trimming helped me get comfortable working with ABS. Untrimmed is normally cheaper too.

Yeah.  I am 6 foot 1 and my last weight in was roughly 180 pounds with my clothes and shoes on

Got my compression shirt and pants.  My phone made the files too large to upload.  I don't know if the shirt will pass inspection.  The website said the stitching was black but when I opened it, they look more like silver or white.

AP quoted me the average build and ship time to be 1 to 2 weeks.  first week down.  Probably because he is in Canada and I am in the US, it will be closer to the 2 week mark.  Then it will be BBB day!!  I will post photos here when I get it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Hi Alex, now that the ball is rolling you might want to start a new thread here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

It will make it easier for people to find your build.  Cheers.

Or ask @Ripper_L to move this one for us :) 

Good to see that you have embarked on this journey.....so did you go with trimmed or untrimmed?

As a noob, I would recommend Mark to trim it.  Once you get comfortable with cutting ABS, then perhaps you can venture off with an untrimmed kit.

(as for me, I would much rather have Mark do it no matter I good I get at it ;)  ).

e-6000 is your friend....give each piece a good amount of time to cure.  Your pace is at the mercy of how many clamps and magnets you own....LOL

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of trimmed kits- having had a trimmed TK and untrimmed ANH Tie and Shadow Scout (latter two still in progress), the work saved with getting trimmed was immense, as was the saving of my hand and arm muscles from using the Lexan scissors and the dremel.  Also trimmed kits are great for first timers, because you have less worry about learning how to trim and trimming off too much before you even really get started.  Though you do get a significant trial by fire with an untrimmed kit, so food for thought.  

I second E6000- I love that stuff, discovered it when I built my TK, and I haven't looked back, I use it for all kinds of stuff.  I recommend giving it a full 48 hour cure time- it takes more time, but the hold will last.  And it still will come apart if you really need it to (carefully, that's how I put a crack in one of my shins).  You're already putting a whole lot of time, effort, and money into this project, you might as well make it to really last.  E6000 is also very forgiving for beginners- if you screw up you can pull it apart immediately and with some sticky clean up start over.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, greenie22 said:

I am sure I got a trimmed kit.  If not, I am sure I can get help from my local outpost.  They offered to help teach me.

If not, I have an untrimmed AP kit sitting in my office that I need to trim in the next few weeks.  I'll be happy to trim, document, and post pics as required. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Jordan mentioned, I recommend getting all of your build supplies in place before you actually start your build, Alex.  There's nothing more frustrating than to be in the middle of a build and need a particular tool or supply, only to have to run out and buy it or order it.

Under my signature below, you will find a link to my thread (Supply List for your TK Build) , and I also have a few tutorials that may help.

When BBB day arrives, don't get spooked when you tear into that box like a kid at Christmas and see all the different parts that have to be put together.  Taking your time and staying organized will help you keep your sanity, lol.  Know that we are here for ya', and post lots of photos!  Speaking of which, I would definitely check out this thread if you don't have imgur:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

You can edit, resize, enhance and post pics using it, and it's not only easy, it's free!

• Like 1

BBB was yesterday. Too bad TK boots is closing and doesn't have my size in stock. I have a plan of attack. First I will get an armor box so I can transport this to armor parties and such, then I will order my boots. 92b49d8c4c4fd01c3cfe6ec1b51b333a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BBB was yesterday. Too bad TK boots is closing and doesn't have my size in stock. I have a plan of attack. First I will get an armor box so I can transport this to armor parties and such, then I will order my boots. 92b49d8c4c4fd01c3cfe6ec1b51b333a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk