New Attempt at ANH Stunt build

bartonajb

Too late to leave the caps... the deed has been done
b302a8ae87669b32a7fcf19b850af012.jpg
Maybe when I glue them back on I’ll place them 1mm closer to the edge off center as a compromise
I don’t mind redoing things for perfection. It will bug the crap out of me if I don’t. Plus I’m gonna miss working on this when it’s actually done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

"I’m gonna miss working on this when it’s actually done." So true!

Good thing there's plenty of armor or other people to help. Buy another kit to build and/or leave a post on your garrison's page to help build for others in your area. Volunteer at build parties, etc, etc. THT

• Like 1

Good thing there's plenty of armor or other people to help. Buy another kit to build and/or leave a post on your garrison's page to help build for others in your area. Volunteer at build parties, etc, etc. THT

All of the above sounds good to me!

I’m happy to report that I finished those belt modifications to improve alignment of the 45s to the canvas and readjusted the buttons
d6ca6e5d6162eb70dc4a93b507279a70.jpg916849621034439878e2cd7d941fd017.jpg

Daniel... the size of my biceps and forearms was already nagging me a bit and your observation gave me the kick I needed to resize them. Over the last 24 hours did the right forearm removing close to 3 cm at he elbow and 1.5-2 cm at the wrist. Below is a wrist on shot of the unaltered on the left vs new size on the right. As you can see I can barely get my hand through and sits comfy snug with the glove.
248a47c633e8bfd5e8b0cd62da364392.jpg
776929cd89aadfc768880240a913c8a9.jpg
3153aedadf3118ec617d38173cbc21af.jpg

Now to start pulling off the other cover strips. So glad I had already taken the initiative to add the inner strips

• Like 1

Excellent work! and although some extra work but I´m certain you will be very happy that you did that in the end - keep that up and you will be one awesome "screen-accurate" looking Stormtrooper :jc_doublethumbup: 

I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. Still working on re sizing my arms. Just finished the right bicep and have moved onto the left today. You can see the size difference now with the new on the left and the old on the right.
57b1c13c6342a2edbef5597eb981d616.jpg
I am amazed at how much more material I was able to remove and still have them fit! The difference now is that they fit snug enough to stay on my arm on their own but remain comfortable.
I got the drop boxes on today as well and I think the belt assembly is done. I cut two strips of 2 inch white elastic each 10 inches long. Looped over belt and marked a hole 1/2 inch from end.
584891cc1555cff337143df6612ed42d.jpg
Punched a 1/8 inch hole through, marked the hole on the box while aligning top of box with bottom of belt plastic. Drilled 1/8 hole in back of box and riveted in place. I also marked and cut out around snap location on elastic.
14bfbd346b0c8028c88d2a813ad91039.jpg
c6c7142c7d2253fadf7af3db720c335a.jpg
1d4ab60b3034a21ca93e20e396d6f2d1.jpg

Final result.
0f6ff3ba32df837e7700e719fa31ba42.jpg
Planning on adding e6000 to glue strap to back of belt once I get a couple of clamps freed up.

The mail man was kind to me this morning so I have something else to work on while I wait for glue to dry.
e09935ccfb355900462a7997fec6ba03.jpg

Hope to get started on the legs in a couple days.

• Like 1

Can I grab a quick clarification before I start my thigh trimming? So as far as return edges go I keep reading conflicting opinions. I know they are not required but add to the appearance of thickness. Others have stated that they cut them off for comfort. As a starting point what do most of you leave for upper and lower edges? I’m running on 4 hours sleep from a late shift and just can’t tolerate trying to determine this on my own any more today. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

I trimmed my upper edges - it was strongly recommended to me for comfort's sake and I believe it is screen accurate.  Leave the lower edges alone. 

More importantly, from a guy who built much of his armor while dead tired - go to bed, sleep, build later.  I've pulled apart my armor many times (more than I will ever admit) due to sleep-deprived stupidity. 

Yea there’s no way I would dare to put scissors to plastic today. I tried to just zone out on the PlayStation but almost chucked a controller out the window. Settled into brewing an ipa kit I had and watching ROTJ right now.

2 minutes ago, bartonajb said:

Yea there’s no way I would dare to put scissors to plastic today. I tried to just zone out on the PlayStation but almost chucked a controller out the window. Settled into brewing an ipa kit I had and watching ROTJ right now.

An excellent compromise!

That’s the perfect day

1 hour ago, bartonajb said:

Can I grab a quick clarification before I start my thigh trimming? So as far as return edges go I keep reading conflicting opinions. I know they are not required but add to the appearance of thickness. Others have stated that they cut them off for comfort. As a starting point what do most of you leave for upper and lower edges? I’m running on 4 hours sleep from a late shift and just can’t tolerate trying to determine this on my own any more today. Thanks guys!

Wrist side no return edge if you plan to apply for Centurion. Elbo edge is up to the individual. As Greg mentioned removing it is a matter of preference. 

b2cd9441-73f7-405d-b3e2-180e67de192b.jpgforearm%205.jpg

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

I trimmed my upper edges - it was strongly recommended to me for comfort's sake and I believe it is screen accurate.  Leave the lower edges alone. 

The only requirement at higher levels is the wrist side. Elbo doesn't matter, as you said it's more for comfort.  

5 minutes ago, ukswrath said:
1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

The only requirement at higher levels is the wrist side. Elbo doesn't matter, as you said it's more for comfort. 

Oh, I meant for the thighs.  I didn't actually specify that in the post.

30 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Oh, I meant for the thighs.  I didn't actually specify that in the post.

Copy :D. As for the thigh upper return edge it doesn't matter either nor canon to have it. 

gallery_12157_15_2547.jpg

A quick question for those of you who have been wearing these things out and about for a while. About how much range of motion should one expect at the elbow? I find that currently I have a little over 90degrees at the elbow. Clearly it’s the inner forearm limiting it any further. I have no return edge there already and I find as I trim in more bit by bit mobility improves.
f353acb6faa0187724538e9107998da8.jpg
I’m just trying to avoid exposing too much black if I’m striving for range of motion beyond normal. Once I have this decided on I can attach the strap and my fully revised arms will be set ( I hope).

From the looks of it you can trim more, mobility is not great but it`s a good thing to be able to put on/remove the helmet on your own and as for the black showing, most of the time you carry a blaster so with the elbows beeing bent hardly any black is showing. (RS suit for reference). Just to be sure not to trim more than you have to it`s a good thing to have the torso on with the shoulder bell and arms temporary connected (tape on inside works great) and then se how much mobility you have. Things tend to be different when strapt together compaired to just bits and pieces :)

med_gallery_12157_59_184989.jpg

• Like 1

As Daniel mentioned "not to trim more than you have to" is a good rule. If you plan on applying for the higher level of Centurion be cautious, we've had applicants with their forearms trimmed too much and had to tell them to buy new forearms because it no longer looked correct. Looking at yours you seem to be fine. :duim:

Thanks Daniel and Tony for the feedback. The 2 inch strap was already glued to bicep so I just had to tape the strap into forearm. Here are the revised arms with before and after comparison of reduced size biceps and forearms.
Before...
98d9c67de097c5130ee974789b4d87fc.jpg
After...
d4b80ed583de1370d80f07bdcb40e470.jpg
Before...
fa15dce3a040fdffae278d6fec2c3230.jpg
After...
4abbd35b53c8a68c2f9abce540ab09b8.jpg
Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

• Like 2

I’m gonna need a little guidance here. The thighs have been rough trimmed and fronts have each been cut 10mm from the raised edge in anticipation of a 20mm cover strip.
504fce045193479fa2f46dcec417a69c.jpg
9c300ff6949460336ba9ab381dd6cb2d.jpg
They each have uneven top margins, right much more than left as you can see. I have penciled a line to trim to an even profile. This should be good?
ea8145359a257da8bde2eada8387bf82.jpg
I don’t have massive thighs so they are going to need to lose more material on the back. My big question is how snug should these be? Most pictures I have looked at show that they seem pretty close fitting. I saw another recommendation for leaving a thumb width between suit and armor all around. Want to make sure I do this right the first time.