Ensi's F-11D Standard Build (The5thHorseman 3D-Print)

Ensi

9 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

Already have someone that's gonna print it up for me, I guess this madness never ends hahah

27 minutes ago, sandtrooper said:

Really beautiful finish on the blaster.  You're hard work really paid off.  The electronics are very nice as well.

Thanks! Yes I wanted it practical, didn't want to mess around with several batteries :D

• 1 month later...

Amazing job!  Such an inspiring building. I just got my first 3D printer and tackling something like this is, definitely, on my list. 

Did if you ever post a ‘walkthrough’ on how you wired the electronics?  Definitely not my strong suit but I’d love to learn more on how you did it. 

On 3/31/2018 at 4:08 AM, Baptizer said:

Amazing job!  Such an inspiring building. I just got my first 3D printer and tackling something like this is, definitely, on my list. 

Did if you ever post a ‘walkthrough’ on how you wired the electronics?  Definitely not my strong suit but I’d love to learn more on how you did it. 

You can do it!! It just takes a bit of time :) 

I never did. It wasn't my strongest area either so I spent like 3 weeks reading about electronics trying to wrap my head around it :D You can do it in several ways, I opted to use an 18650 for the UNLIMITED POWER it has. Here's my wiring schematic if it helps:

aetaxTp.jpg

I've cropped out the technical stuff as it will vary. Keep in mind I am no electrician and toying around with 18650 cells is no joke. You could easily do it with a 9V battery for the LED's and just use a mini torch like everyone else did in the front :D 

On 3/31/2018 at 5:56 AM, Harbinger said:

Agreed!

What paints/prep/etcetera did you use to paint your silver parts? They came out great.

Thanks!

The brand of paint I used is CRC Pro Paint. It's this cheapo all-round acrylic paint we sell at work. Same stuff I used on my suit! I smoothed/primed/sanded the silver parts exactly the same, but in the end I hit it with gloss black and then clear. Polished it a bit at the end but it didn't help much. Then alclad chrome if i'm not mistaken was airbrushed on :) 

Thanks Ensi. This is awesome. I really appreciate you putting in so much detail. I'm almost at the end of several thousand hours of filling and sanding on mine and getting ready to do the electronics and painting. A couple of questions if you would?

1. How did you mount the magnet in the front handle?

2. When you painted your muzzle - did you paint the white first and try to mask that off before painting the black, or did you do the reverse? I've been puzzling that in my head (as its the only piece that isn't split into different colours already, and I'm thinking of masking lines/bleed)...

Thanks again for a great thread.

12 hours ago, Hutt-trooper said:

Thanks Ensi. This is awesome. I really appreciate you putting in so much detail. I'm almost at the end of several thousand hours of filling and sanding on mine and getting ready to do the electronics and painting. A couple of questions if you would?

1. How did you mount the magnet in the front handle?

2. When you painted your muzzle - did you paint the white first and try to mask that off before painting the black, or did you do the reverse? I've been puzzling that in my head (as its the only piece that isn't split into different colours already, and I'm thinking of masking lines/bleed)...

Thanks again for a great thread.

Thanks man, I appreciate it! The sanding sucks but the results speak for themselves :D

1. I'd struggle with explaining it in text so here are some pictures:

bZtHKHx.jpg

Blaster-side is just one magnet attached with 5-min epoxy glue. I tried CA at first but it didn't hold. (Also if you do epoxy use a clear one :P)

EHa7ppW.jpg

When the handle is closed the magnets do not sit flush up against eachother, there's a slight gap. I like this as it doesn't slam on the magnets (potentially making them break/crack) when closing the handle :) 

2. I painted the muzzle black, let it cure properly, then masked and painted the white. I do have some bleed myself, but it is not noticeable at all, use high quality tape.

What you could try though, is paint the muzzle black, let cure, mask off, then spray a light layer of black first, let dry, then spray the white. This supposedly fills in the void of the part->tape and makes sure you end up with a nice, crisp line when you put on the white :) Just recently found this tip so I haven't tested it but it makes perfect sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely hope you do a tutorial on the electronics if you get a  chance. Really want to learn more about the voltage regulator and were you sourced it. Electronics is still a foreign language to me.

For the chromed parts, did the finish rub off at all? Impressed how nice they came out. I did a can spray on mine and it looked great but then it dulled with time and contact. 

Really love all the pics too, super blaster build.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, Bulldog44 said:

Definitely hope you do a tutorial on the electronics if you get a  chance. Really want to learn more about the voltage regulator and were you sourced it. Electronics is still a foreign language to me.

For the chromed parts, did the finish rub off at all? Impressed how nice they came out. I did a can spray on mine and it looked great but then it dulled with time and contact. 

Really love all the pics too, super blaster build.

Hey, first of all sorry for the late reply LOL! Secondly thanks!

I do not feel confident enough to "teach" electronics, as I do not fully understand what I have created, safety and all that. Although the voltage regulator is there because the voltage in the chain, before the flashlight is higher than what the flashlight wants. If that makes sense? It takes the incoming voltage and converts it down to a lower voltage (which the flashlight wants.) So it doesn't go kaboom and I have the ability to have it all on the same power source.

It is based on the MP1584, so if you just google for that you'll find it easily. I got mine at a local store. It can take input voltage from 4.5-28v on paper, even though the voltage from my battery is 3.7-4.2v depending on charge.. Works fine... so far :laugh1: Unless I find a more suited regulator this is mostly why I don't wanna make a guide.

The chrome is not durable, I have scuffs and some of it have rubbed off already. Next time i'll try to do the same, but add the Alclad clear-coat to it. Seen some people have good results with it :) Still the best chrome-at-home option i've seen.