Welders Shield for Lenses

I feel this is kind of a stupid question, but I know there are people who know more about than me. I need some lenses for my MRCE and I thought about making my own out of the Welders shield. What are the different shade levels? Which ones are too dark, too light. Is Shade 3 the best one to use?

Go to a welding store and see what ones work best for you. You probably want one on the low end if you want to see out of it. Although a storm trooper welding helmet would be pretty cool XD.

Ā 

You also might be able to look for replacement sunglasses lenses, if you can find ones big enough. They also might make tinted ski goggles.

Shade 3 is the most commonly used. Of course you could always get them from me. I have shade 3 and a new lens that is a shade darker that is the perfect emerald green to match the ones used in the movies. The emerald green ones are harder to see out of in poorly lit areas. I charge $6 a pair.

Shades come in plastic or glass. A guy in my welding class had said that glass blocks the UV light or something more naturally, dont remember.

The shades also come in a couple sizes for different helmets too.

Shade 3 is used for grinding a brazing, mostly. For the helmets, you see out, flash dosent get in from cameras. If one is to get real close to you thy could see in. Dosent happen to much. It is like a good set of sunglasses.

Ā 

Shade 5 is as dark as it gets for plastic. Very dark. Hard to see out of. I would not use it in a helmet that is worn. Its hard to see anyway, why make it harder... Almost looks black from the outside. it is for heavy cutting and brazing.

Ā 

To go darker than that is not only super expensive, but there glass. Only used in welders helmets, you would need to buy 2, as for the glass is only big enough for one lens. I do think they go to shade 10 in glass.

Ā 

Long story short, grade 3 is great for trooping, its what I use in my scout and TK lids. I even use it as a back lens for my Vader.

Ā 

If you are getting a sheet of your own, look at welders supply stores.

I make some really nice MR CE flat lenses with lens moulding included:-------------

Ā 

3 minute install, premium quality with guaranteed satisfaction. For less than you could do them yourself by buying material and tools/time. You goof on the install, I replace one free. Screw one up on a troop, I replace it for free.

Ā 

Kev

TK-1422

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for the help guys. After doing some searching, I think buying is going to be a pain right now. So I'll probably end up buying some off of one of you fine lens makers.

Ā 

I'm trying to figure out how to actually make a lot of these things myself, so that I don't always have to rely on the sellers if a shortage should ever occur.

You can simply cut them with scissors, or invest in a really expensive machine to do it for ya... LOL.

Ā 

Its not all that hard. Now the thicker ones take a little doing. A sander or a grinder would be my best bet on that.

Ā 

A sheild should yeild about 2ish sets of lenses if your careful. If your good, 3.

Ā 

Hope that helps. Good luck!