ARMOR PARTY 101.

You may have heard the term "Armor Party" mentioned here, and wondered exactly what that means.  While these are not "official" 501st or FISD events, below is some basic information which may be helpful for those who would like to either attend or host one.   

How do I find one in my area?

These are normally posted on your local Garrison or Squad websites, usually in the "New recruits" or Events area.  If you have any questions, you can ask the board admins for your local unit.  A list of all Garrison/Squad/Outposts can be found here:  http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php

You may also have a local Imperial Attache that you are welcome to PM.  A complete list can be found here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38483-fisd-imperial-attache-list/

Goals

These events are aimed for those who are beginning or are in the process of building a set of TK armor.  There will be approved Troopers there who have been there-done that and will help you with any questions or problems you may encounter and offer advice.

However...  if you have not received or even ordered your kit you are more than welcome (and encouraged) to attend.  These are "judgement free" zones, so no matter how strange or inane you think your questions may be (or how many you have) we have heard them all, and are here to assist you.   You will also get to meet the future friends you will be eventually trooping with.

Supplies

"I have my kit, so what else should I bring"?

1.  I would start with a spiral notebook and a pen.  This way you can write down any questions you may have before you get there, as well as take notes and contact information.  Bring these items even if you don't have your armor yet.

2.  Many hosts may have some supplies on hand, but what stage of your build you are in will determine what you will need.  I suggest bringing a Dremel tool (with accessories), clamps, magnets, E-6000, sandpaper, a pencil, etc.  When in doubt, bring everything you have.  A complete list can be found here:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

3.  If you have them, bring your undersuit and boots.  These will come in handy for fitting your armor if you are at that stage.

4.  If you have a laptop, bring it for FISD references. 

Food/Drinks

While some hosts will supply snacks and water, some make a whole day event (or a barbeque) out of it.  Ask your host in advance, and be prepared to bring your own water/soda/juice, snacks etc.

Some hosts allow alcohol (usually BYO), some do not, so please respect their wishes.  Again, check with the host before bringing it.  Not to be a buzzkill, but I personally don't recommend drinking while using a razor knife or electric tools.

Conduct

1.  If you smoke or vape, please check with your host to see if there is an area where you can do this and not offend others who don't.

2.  If you drink (alcohol), please be responsible.

3.  If you need to use someone else's tools or supplies, ask beforehand.

4.  Please try to avoid bringing small children without checking with your host first.  Sharp objects, flying ABS pieces and kids may not mix.  Plus, they can get really bored.

5.  The same goes for pets.

6.  If you sign up to attend, please do so.  You may also want to enquire about where to park.

7.  Please do not expect others to build your armor for you at an AP.  They are here to help, not do it for you.  I have heard of some who actually dropped their armor off and said "I'll be back later to get it".  Needless to say it was left in the box untouched.

When it's over..

Remember to thank your host, as well as those who helped you, and PLEASE offer to assist in the clean-up afterward.  It's the right thing to do.

HOSTING AN AP

If you wish to host an Armor Party, I highly recommend it.   A Saturday or Sunday afternoon of camaraderie with fellow (and future) TKs can make for a great time, and is REALLY appreciated by those who need help with their build or have questions. 

So how do I do it?

1.  Determine what type of space you have and how many people you can accommodate.  Some use a garage, basement or patio, as long as there is shade (summer) or heat (winter).   You will also need multiple electric outlets for tools, as well as sufficient tables, chairs and hopefully a workbench of some sort.

2.  Ask the senior TKs, EIs and Centurions in your Squad/Garrison if they can commit to attend and help out with build questions.  You really can't have too much white-armor knowledge at these events.  Having one or more experienced FO TKs will definitely help. 

3.  Check with your neighbors.  These events very rarely get loud, but parking may be a concern.

4.  After you have determined that you are good to go, post up the information on your local 501st site (and FB if you have that).  Be sure to give all the details you can in the post, including day, date, begin/end time, food/drink/alcohol/kid/pet/parking policy and if there is a limit on how many people you can accommodate.  Don't forget the address/directions to your house!  You may also want to provide an alternate date in case in inclement weather.  

5.  Have a laptop or computer online and at the ready with the FISD site available.  This will help with any technical info.

6.  Be prepared to answer the same questions over and over.  These folks are depending on and will appreciate your knowledge.

7.  If you get the chance, take lots of photos and post them up here!

If you have any suggestions/additions for this, please feel free to post up below, or if you have any questions about hosting or attending please feel free to PM me.

• Like 10

Great  write up Joseph.

We had to change the name of ours to Armor Workshops, seemed a few took the Party name too lituraly and some would indulge in some alcoholic beverages,early in the day which of course put a stop to building  ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 2

Really good post!

One thing I always do at armor parties if there are first-timers there is to start with an overview of the armor and do a full kit up and kit down.  Many times this is the first exposure for someone seeing the armor in real life and how it all goes together.  I've found this to be a very helpful part of armor parties.

I've also started including mini workshops at every armor party with a "guest speaker" from our Garrison.  Topics have included costume weathering, sewing, and prop painting/weathering.  This has encouraged participation from those not just working on armor, and has led to more information and skill sharing in our Garrison.

Edited by bobafret
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, bobafret said:

One thing I always do at armor parties if there are first-timers there is to start with an overview of the armor and do a full kit up and kit down.  Many times this is the first exposure for someone seeing the armor in real life and how it all goes together.  I've found this to be a very helpful part of armor parties.

I've also started including mini workshops at every armor party with a "guest speaker" from our Garrison.  Topics have included costume weathering, sewing, and prop painting/weathering.  This has encouraged participation from those not just working on armor, and has led to more information and skill sharing in our Garrison.

REALLY great ideas, Dave!  Definitely going to add these to my armor party repertoire!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Christiantroutman said:

How do I go about finding a local ap so I can attend and see what it is all about I'm extremely new to all this and would love to here from people who have been in the 501st for a while

I'm not sure what area Conway is in, but your best bet would be to get in touch with both Garrisons that are located in Arkansas, Christian, (links below).  You will have to register/sign in and introduce yourself in the "new members" section, where you can ask which is closest.  Some may have a contact person, and you can post your question on their boards.

You should also introduce yourself here in the New Member Introductions thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/5-new-member-introductions/.  You can also ask any questions you want there.  we are here to help!

Diamond Garrison:  http://ar501st.com/

Star Garrison:  http://www.stargarrison.com/forums/forum.php

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday afternoon the Connecticut Garrison hosted our second armor party of the 2018 year.  This is my sixth armor party I've "lead".

The Location

The Portal in Manchester.

The Portal is a local gaming store.  Normally not quite the ideal scene for this sort of event, a member of the CTG (Jonathan Roath) is the general manager / partial owner of the place.  He loves the 501st, and though he rarely has the time to actively participating in troops he goes out of his way to make sure these sort of outreach events have a place to happen.  Just his way of giving back how he can.

The cool thing about using this public venue is we get people that are just wandering in for tabletop gaming or whatever see us, come talk, and sometimes it leads to new recruits/events!!

The Troopers

Quentin - ID Pending
Quentin is a new recruit of the CTG.  He's working on a Del Mekko TIE Pilot uniform.  Pretty slick, and he had tons of questions about approval, requirements, etc.  He came with a printed CRL and a big smile and we were able to help point him in the right direction on a lot of stuff--and save him from a few ebay purchases!

Michelle - TK 24124
Michelle is the newest CTG member.  Recently approved as an ANH Stormtrooper, she brought along her helmet to ask some questions.  Her main concern was replacing the eye pieces from acetate film to an actual harder material.  I pointed her in the direction of green tinted face shield and let her snag some pictures of the buckets I'd set those in for ideas.  She seemed to have a great time, and is excited for her first troop this Saturday!!!

Nick - TX 686
Nick is our resident Death Trooper.  He's also at just about every armor party to help, socialize, and put smiles on faces all around.  His currently project is an all metal E-11D for his death trooper.  Partially aluminum, he's machining several bits himself.  Since I had a torched Sterling L2A3 I brought it for him to take for reference (since I'm still a long way from finishing my pipe to weld it to).  It was really cool seeing the aluminum parts he'd gathered.  He also hooked me up with a spare Hengstler Counter, so that was awesome!!!

Brian - ID Pending

Brian is a recruit of the CTG that was brought in by stumbling upon our armor parties!  He purchases an Anovos TK kit a while back and has been assembling it over the past couple of months.  He brought his kit to work on and ask some questions.  He had us look over some parts, notably the leg and arm pieces, for a sanity check.  Not that it was needed!  Brian is doing an amazing job assembling it!  I'm hoping to see him in our approval inbox very soon :)

Christopher - TK 66402

Christopher is one of the CTG event coordinators.  He brought along his stormtrooper kit to shine up like he does for most events, as well as talk and help out new members/builders.  He's pretty fun to be around, that's why I married him.

Arthur - ID Pending

Arthur has been a recruit of the CTG for a while now.  He's most of the way through a stormtrooper Rogue One style kit.  He had a few personal complications along the way, but the end of those seem to be in sight and he should be in our approval inbox soon!  He came by to meet the other recruits, say hi, and get a set of my Patented (patent pending) Floppy Silicone TK Hand Guards™ (trademark pending)

Joan - ID 31461

Joan is the second event coordinator for the CTG.  She lives wayyyyyy on the other side of the state, so it was a real treat to have her out and meet up with us :)  Joan has been convinced to start building an ANH Stormtrooper, and came by to ask us where to cut some parts, and what parts are left/right for legs.  She also came to nab a set of my Patented (patent pending) Floppy Silicone TK Hand Guards™ (trademark pending), since I'd asked her to testrun the first pull of them ;)  Now that she's over her fear of cutting into ABS I expect her to be up and running in no time.

Oh yeah, I was there too.

Group Shot:

IMG_20180414_140255.thumb.jpg.0583c017dc

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...