THE Pride that started all Prides - A Badlands Event 2017

Soulart

After this post, you will have a better understanding of who I am as a person, as well as a trooper. What trooping means to me each time I wear a costume.

This posting is my memoirs and reflection of the very first Pride event our Garrison participated in, as well as marking the First anniversary of it.

I'll start by being clear (but kind) , and In no way, will I tolerate any negative, discriminatory or abusive comments left surrounding a troop, relating to basic human rights. Please don't comment any negative. This is not a political issue. In any way, shape, or form. I understand our opinions may differ greatly, and that really is OK, but remember, this is MY field troop log, my account of my time, and it has such great meaning to me. We write about our moments in our armor. And what it means to us, what we did, etc.... ( last pride report left me defending myself) I will write about it with passion, care, love, happiness, excitement and yes, it will be long...... Sigh....(one day I promise I'll write a short report, and you'll all be shocked!!!!!)

If it's a touchy subject for you, please do not read on, and I truly mean this respectfully. My intention is not to be crusty or offend anyone. Ever. I've lumped a few events into one posting. (Saves me writing more novel field reports!) (Saves people reading them too!) HA! Here we go!

4c94cf2542da542c991f0535ba9f0298.jpg

Last June, you will recall the shootings in Orlando... who can forget...

I was teaching memory keeping with my group of women I meet with monthly when I heard. I felt like my heart was going to rip out of my chest... I was filled with anger. Sorrow. Horror. And I cried. For everyone involved.

I live remote Northern Alberta Canada. Oil country. Farmers. Ranchers. Not necessarily a gay / lesbian accepting area. (OK... not really at all...)

The nearest city to me is an hour away, and the very same day I learnt about the Orlando shooting, was day I learnt this city of appx 69,000 was going to host its very first Pride Celebration! Which is a huge deal!

Being an advocate and supporter of the LGBT community since my brother was young, I wanted to be involved. Not only were they hosting a beautiful family Pride Carnival day, but also an evening event called ”Party In White"

Well, what could be more white that a StormTrooper... (no racism or discrimination or pun intended here)

I wanted to be a part of it.

I offered myself to volunteer at the event.

I'd have painted Glitter rainbows on the attendees, anything! (I do sparkly body art as a hobby)

As I was trying to get this area aware and utilizing the new found Legion presence, I asked the Pride Society's President if a StormTrooper or two would be something he would be interested in. Seeing as it was a family event for all.

Being a huge SW nerd himself, of course he lost his mind, and went over and above to accommodate if anyone could come. Whether this was an approved Event, or I went on my own, I knew I was going. No matter the consequences..... I was fired up and feisty, (as I tend to get when things of magnitude affect me) I was speaking with my TK twin Pyrates, and he was listening to me rant. Rave. He knew I was going. And he knew I was going to do this in my TK with or without any support. He graciously offered to attend the day with me knowing what it meant to me, and all my personal reasons for risking all and attending. My mother was afraid I was going to be shot! I can see her reasoning now, That as a big white stormtrooper, I'd be easy to see. My defense was, I'd rather get shot standing up for the things I believe in, supporting those that need, rather than do nothing and lose my integrity and live with shame and regret... she agreed. Then told me how proud she was that I was her daughter. (She's such a great mom)

My brother is our Event Coordinator for part of our province. "Teresa, you just cannot go.... " YES, I can. Now more than ever, people need to stand together. We stand and troop for SO many other reasons and events! For many different people, causes and awarenesses..... WHY is this different??!!! It isn't any different! Of course, my brother knowing me, knew I would go. He is the biggest reason my heart leads me to stand up.... And speak out.

He Began conversations with our CO, and other Legion staff. And debated.

Quite frankly, I was shocked there even needed to be lengthy conversation at all! I thought we had come so much farther...I know Peter and Alan debated hard, along with others, and gratefully, it was decided, at a Garrison level, each respective Garrison could decide whether or not participating in a Pride event was something they felt was OK for their membership. Some Garrisons may not be in support, some would be. I am PROUD to say the Badlands Garrison is one of those Garrisons that openly support, celebrate, and accept its gay / lesbian/ transgender/bisexual members, and actively troop Pride Celebrations.

Though, not all feel comfortable participating in any troops we could go to, of any cause, we each have that right to show up to the troops we believe in, or subscribe to. . Or not wish to go to. And not be judged or condemned whether we troop or not. We go to bring joy. Always. (And look amazing doing it.)

I did not troop alone. ( and we were not shot. It was a beautiful, peaceful day full of families out and about!) I was joined by 5 other Garrison mates that traveled 5-8 hours one way to be with me. To share in this monumental day.

This began The Original VI in our Garrison, and the cool Pride tshirts made up for all present. We proudly trooped. A troop like every other.

Backdrop, banners, photo booth area, looking cool, making all smile. Surrounded by happiness, families enjoying their time together, and quietly celebrating why we were all there. "Oohing and ahhing", Just like every other event I've attended.

We laughed, trooped, bonded, and yes, felt Pride to be there. To be included in the City's day. With its citizens. (We were treated very well, like guests of honor!) We also went with the blessings and support of messages, and wishes from our Garrison mates to do them all proud. Wishing they could be there with us few. (I live 5 hours drive one way from my closest Garrison mates)

Evening came, and we made our way to the Party in White dinner and adult portion of the day.

Everyone dressed in white, we enter the masses to a rousing disco SW medley! The excitement is high, and energy spectacular! What a great time to conga line through the crowd!

My Garrison mates look at one another bewildered, questioning through gestures "Is she seriously going to conga? Can she see?" They shrug their shoulders, and follow my lead, in disbelief we are going to do this.

Oh man we did it!!!!! And it's the best memory ever!!!!! Grande Prairie. First Pride. Disco conga line of stormtroopers and a Kylo. = amazement.

We are graciously invited to stay for the class act show, and food, and the Mayor speaks. Making that day His city's Pride. Of course I had tears. (I weep openly, and this was moving)

Yes.

I was proud to be there. Not only for the monumental and historic day for this city, but more personally, for my Garrison that I love deeply. It was also monumental for its history, It's members, and all we collectively stand for as a group of individuals, of different races, varying religious beliefs, and sexual orientations.

We are simply a group of caring, accepting people, that I was exceedingly proud to have beside me, as I am at any event we troop together. Of any kind.

This event opened the door to other Pride events we participated in throughout our province.

Calgary last September which saw 18 members at, and Edmonton this June, which had 12. Including the Original VI

Present at all.

Not only paved the way for our Garrison, but maybe for others as well. And I had the privilege of being introduced to THE ORIGINAL Pride Trooper from NYC.. Which I bear hugged this year at Celebration in Orlando. I was happy to meet that man!!

Fast forward one year....

Here we are again. June 24th 2017

Pride Grande Prairie 2.0

I have a soft spot for this event. It will always hold a special place in my heart, as it marks great importance to me.

Again, we had a booth for pics, with smiling children and their families marveling at our awesomeness , and the day was completed with Captain Phasma in a Traditional Native American circle dance with her big son and his wife. It was smoking hot, and I almost tripped over my damn big boots, but we did it! That was my big memory of this year... not a conga line, but sharing this day with my adult son, my daughter (as they attended for their second year) , participating in a circle dance with them, and SO many others all there to simply just celebrate one other. No matter our sexual differences, personal limitations, beliefs, or skin color.

This year, I again had my incredible TK twin at my side, and on my other, was a gentleman I met and bonded with he and his wife the year prior at this event. His wife Tina is the creator of our beautiful tshirts, and he joined the Legion because of this day a year ago.

Other Garrison members really wanted to come, but we also had our huge Ronald McDonald house Block Party troop the very next day. It's a long journey to me...

The 3 of us trooped the family carnival, then grabbing another Trooper, jumped in our vehicles, and drove 5 hours through the night to join our Garrison for the House troop.

I regret, there was no disco conga line this year.... And trust me, we were missed! People had planned to join us this year and were disappointed to not see us. This year I learnt there was also a childrens family dance. You would have found me there. With the kids, had we been able to stay. Ugh. So many events, so little time!

I troop and give of myself for all. For anyone whose day we might brighten. For those in need, including my Garrison and Legion Brothers and sisters. Being part of a family requires love. Tolerance. Patience. Kindness. Acceptance.

No matter whom we are personally, we are all a part of something bigger than we are as individuals. And we give of ourselves together. And when we do so, we are SO strong side by side. We are community. We are family. We are Legion.

As always, with love and loyalty,

Teresa

TK 41307

SoulArt

Badlands Garrison Alberta

7b72470617afe67cd61893056dbdc115.jpg

599cee4322e040946a8e6b487c2ac0ef.jpg

d8aa6e4ecd8496143f2d9b8d262e21fa.jpg

f481387db9c1efdf3e88d3085b643c35.jpg

ba6fd6ff3eaa7a4671be0ebc7e99a198.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You are doing good work my silver sister! 

Love seeing your TK in here. That sass can never be mistaken. hahahah
Bahahaha Captain Sass! Sassafras? Sassalicious? Sassy Pants? Oh dear....
I guess it's apparent no matter the armor....
*sigh*
Though I only March in my TK, like the rest. Must have unity. I only do the Phasma strut as the Captain...
Next time, I'm wearing her, I'll be sure to get a video just for you! Xo

Thanks so much for sharing.  It takes a lot of courage to be willing to say "if the garrison won't make it official, I'll go anyway as a private person".  I remember me and my garrison mate once doing the same, and now we are a staple at ECCC.  Also too, standing up for human dignity.  Great job all around - I am sure you inspired many, many people with going above and beyond.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for sharing.  It takes a lot of courage to be willing to say "if the garrison won't make it official, I'll go anyway as a private person".  I remember me and my garrison mate once doing the same, and now we are a staple at ECCC.  Also too, standing up for human dignity.  Great job all around - I am sure you inspired many, many people with going above and beyond.
Thank you for reading! I appreciate that you did.
Please, what is ECCC.... (I apologize. I don't know what that is. Is it a comic con? (The cc may suggest?) Something else? Regardless, I'm glad you both went too, and that it turned into an amazing experience :)

Outstanding job, Teresa... thanks for sharing!  
Thank you. Thank you for reading xo

Emerald City Comicon
You know, dang it, I was going to guess that!!!!!!! It just sounds SO cool!

Teresa this was such an epic adventure, and that is really cutting it short of what it was.

It is my most memorable and cherished troop to have shared with you and the rest of "The Original VI".

I remember when you first mentioned the possibility of our first Pride for the Badlands Garrison and how much it meant to us both that it needed to happen with the chance to open a new opportunity for others to contribute.

Thanks to you and your initiative it came to fruition - it was no small feat. I commend and appreciate all the hard effort you made both for this new endeavour and opening your home to us all to stay. It was so worth the 8 hour drive!!!

There was no way I was going to let you troop it alone, and as I said back then: Power in numbers and together as a unified front we have the potential to show acceptance, understanding, and support for all.

While some may not see it as such, and you all are entitled to your own opinions and beliefs respectfully so, this is what I believe we stand for in the 501st: To help those with challenges and adversity feel good if only for but a moment. Whether it be a child being bullied for liking Star Wars, a cancer patient being estranged for a shaved head during the fight of their life, or those being judged unfairly because they are different.

We need to make an example for generations after us. The past has shown that controversial topics become less controversial when we make the effort to research, understand, and talk about it with an open mind without judgment or persecution.

Teresa you are an exemplary trooper, and you will always have my support even when all odds are against us.

Big ol' hug to you and many profound thanks again - you are a shining example of why I wanted to join this legion and truly one of it's brightest stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Teresa this was such an epic adventure, and that is really cutting it short of what it was.

It is my most memorable and cherished troop to have shared with you and the rest of "The Original VI".

I remember when you first mentioned the possibility of our first Pride for the Badlands Garrison and how much it meant to us both that it needed to happen with the chance to open a new opportunity for others to contribute.

Thanks to you and your initiative it came to fruition - it was no small feat. I commend and appreciate all the hard effort you made both for this new endeavour and opening your home to us all to stay. It was so worth the 8 hour drive!!!

There was no way I was going to let you troop it alone, and as I said back then: Power in numbers and together as a unified front we have the potential to show acceptance, understanding, and support for all.

While some may not see it as such, and you all are entitled to your own opinions and beliefs respectfully so, this is what I believe we stand for in the 501st: To help those with challenges and adversity feel good if only for but a moment. Whether it be a child being bullied for liking Star Wars, a cancer patient being estranged for a shaved head during the fight of their life, or those being judged unfairly because they are different.

We need to make an example for generations after us. The past has shown that controversial topics become less controversial when we make the effort to research, understand, and talk about it with an open mind without judgment or persecution.

Teresa you are an exemplary trooper, and you will always have my support even when all odds are against us.

Big ol' hug to you and many profound thanks again - you are a shining example of why I wanted to join this legion and truly one of it's brightest stars.

Awwwwww. You really are lovely, you know this right?????!!! ! And I cherish being your twin!
Twin Powers activate!
(Oops... wrong Universe!)
XO

• Like 1

And you all are welcome to my home any time. I will cook for the masses, and gladly give up my beds any day!
Mmmmm. Tabbouleh and Dogs Breakfast. Mmmm

• Like 1

And you all are welcome to my home any time. I will cook for the masses, and gladly give up my beds any day!
Mmmmm. Tabbouleh and Dogs Breakfast. Mmmm

Yes, there was freaking stellar eats too!!! Mmmmm indeed
  • Like 1